Re: [Yuricon] Strawberry Panic vs Simoun - the battle you've all been waiting for!

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 55 , Apr 4, 2006
      atheniag wrote:

      > [Spoilers may happen. Avoid if you really, really, really hate
      > spoilers.]
      > Welcome to the Spring Yuri Showdown! I know you've all been waiting on
      > pins and needles for this battle - as have I. And here we are at last.
      > In the red corner we have "Strawberry Panic" based on the short
      > stories of the same name from Dengeki G's Magazine, home of lots of
      > loli girls doing bishoujo game poses. Yuri by guys for guys, okay? OK.
      > In the blue corner we have newcomer "Simoun" from "Yuri Hime", home
      > of, erm, yuri for women by women.
      > The red corner comes out swinging with lots of school uniforms! I am
      > not kidding - we had a solid five minutes of dissussion on the
      > features and individual cuteness of each school's uniform. Great for
      > those who can't get enough of detailed discussions of crinoline!
      > "Strawberry Panic" has every single schoolgirl cliche in the book -
      > she's late, she's clumsy, she manages to have absolutely NO clue
      > whatsoever about the schools she entering - she's our heroine Nagisa!
      > Welcome Nagisa, cute, slightly underachieving girl who is not as
      > annoying as her manga counterpart, thank heavens. Nagisa is
      > immediately targeted as a patsy by uber-cool, seductive and strangely
      > boring Shizuna, who is every girl at all three schools dream.
      > "Strawberry Panic" weighs in finally with two almost-kisses, some
      > sexual tension, creepy friendly roommate and uniforms!
      > Now the blue corner steps forward with - omg! amazing graphics and a
      > production value I haven't seen since Ghost in the Shell:Innocence. Is
      > that CGI over watercolor? I feel faint. Screw schoolgirl uniforms -
      > give me good art any day. Nota Mamiko voices an enemy drone, so that
      > we get her perspective on the war and a vision of Simoun as the enemy.
      > And then, oh no! Two kisses in the first few minutes! It's a solid hit
      > for "Simoun." Ships that don't look like the same-old same-old, could
      > it be that there is character development too? "Strawberry Panic" is
      > looking weaker by the moment.
      > More kisses...
      > It's the final round - war is brutal my friends, while we watch Nota
      > Mamiko's character die a not-at-all symbolic death. But the victory is
      > a Pyrrhic one - our princess is scarred and frightened. Enter
      > protagonist/catalyst Aru who is again, not as annoying as her manga
      > counterpart, as she now has some context.
      > And its a TKO for "Simoun" with a real story, great point-of-view
      > effect, and excellent art!

      I rather liked them both. However, Simoun attracted me alot more. There
      was so many different things to note in the episode. Which I paid more
      attention to since I only understand so much. lol. The watercolour
      backgrounds were pretty, I LOVED the ships! So cool! The kissing was
      actually there, they didnt fade out of do that white out bit! The only
      thing I didnt like about simoun, was that they had too much heavy lines
      around the characters and sometimes the objects. Other than that, it was
      fantastic. Oh, and all the guys had female voices... which amused me.
      Somehow I was expecting male voices.. but meh. Girls usually sound
      better anyway. :P

      The one thing I liked about SP, was that the ending theme was a music
      video. I thought that rather different. Did you mean, Erika, that Nagisa
      was less annoying in the anime because she didnt talk in third person
      like she was narrating? >_>

      Unrelated to the yuri showdown...
      We also have Highschool Girls, there was so many panty-shots in it, the
      first thing I thought of was, Najica on laughing-gas (only no action,
      and less pantyshots). hehe And the ending theme for the anime was rather

    • Kat Ehas
      Message 55 of 55 , Apr 30, 2006
        First, I'd like to say "Sue! You've de-lurked! Only took you five years! ;)"

        On 4/28/06, Susan Davis <futabachan@...> wrote:
        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:41 AM, atheniag wrote:
        > >
        > > > Well the fansubbers definitely didn't make it easy.
        > >
        > > No, but spending some time in the forums helped a lot. I don't fault
        > > the fansubbers too badly as a lot of the terms are turning out to
        > > more Latin than French, and nobody is really sure of a consensus.
        > Episode 2 was a lot better than episode 1, although there are still
        > some very questionable romanization choices ("Call" for "koru" instead
        > of "Chor" or "Corps;" "Simula" for "shivyura" instead of "Sibylla," et
        > cetera). Hopefully, the rest of the series will be more along episode
        > 2's lines....

        Yeah, I have to agree that the subbing on ep 1 frustrated me. The
        grammar was weak and I wasn't always sure what they were trying to
        say. I'm going to probably rewatch ep 1 before starting ep 2.