Re: Organizing a Yuri Con: advices, suggestions needed

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Chiba Ryoichi" <phantomcrusader@...>
      wrote:

      > Gokigenyou, minna-domo!
      >
      > Me and my friends are planning to organize a Yuri Con for our
      country
      > (the first of its kind, I think)...and well, as good as the word
      > "organize" sounds...I'm just a novice in this kind of thing. So I
      was
      > wondering, if maybe someone from you people could kindly give us a
      > hand, like give us an idea on how a yuri con works for example (I've
      > never attended one T__T)

      The name Yuricon is owned by me, btw, so if you're planning on running
      one, I have to approve the name use. There's a tremendous amount of
      work that goes into running an event. You'll need a location that you
      can run the event at, for one thing. Not every place is going to be
      okay with running a lesbian-themed event. And if it's going to be a
      Yuricon, then it HAS to be openly identified that way.

      If none have you ever even attended a convention, you're going to have
      a very, very hard time running one.

      I strongly suggest that you and your staff attend a convention,
      volunteer at one a few times, before you go ahead and try to organize
      one.

      Running a con takes a lot of time and money, so really, if you've
      never even been to one, that's got to be the number one priority. By
      volunteering at a anime event, you'll get to learn how they run.

      If you email me privately at anilesbocon01@... I'll give you
      an idea of what some of the things you're going to need to do to even
      begin to run a con.

    • kitten
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
         Erica can really help alot, however, she is not joking; alot goes into running a con. follow her advice and get your feet wet BEFORE diving in head first. volunteer at other conventions, get yourself/yourselves placed with as many depts. as possible while volunteering, and ask questions while there. after this is done, and you have some ideas for your con, consult with Erica further.
         hope this bit of advisement has helped, and i wish you luck in your endevor.

        wrote:

        > Gokigenyou, minna-domo!
        >
        > Me and my friends are planning to organize a Yuri Con for our
        country
        > (the first of its kind, I think)...and well, as good as the word
        > "organize" sounds...I'm just a novice in this kind of thing. So I
        was
        > wondering, if maybe someone from you people could kindly give us a
        > hand, like give us an idea on how a yuri con works for example (I've
        > never attended one T__T)

        The name Yuricon is owned by me, btw, so if you're planning on running
        one, I have to approve the name use. There's a tremendous amount of
        work that goes into running an event. You'll need a location that you
        can run the event at, for one thing. Not every place is going to be
        okay with running a lesbian-themed event. And if it's going to be a
        Yuricon, then it HAS to be openly identified that way.

        If none have you ever even attended a convention, you're going to have
        a very, very hard time running one.

        I strongly suggest that you and your staff attend a convention,
        volunteer at one a few times, before you go ahead and try to organize
        one.

        Running a con takes a lot of time and money, so really, if you've
        never even been to one, that's got to be the number one priority. By
        volunteering at a anime event, you'll get to learn how they run.

        If you email me privately at anilesbocon01@... I'll give you
        an idea of what some of the things you're going to need to do to even
        begin to run a con.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        kitten =^'^=
        BIPOLARIS DELERIUM MENTIA

      • Trance Ryoichi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
          We have a member of the organizing team who has previous experiences on running a con. But that's an ordinary anime event, and not a yuri convention. Unfortunately, there's no such event here yet...only a yaoi con. >.< (sadly, there are only a few yuri fans in my place)

          Anyway, thanks for all the advice. We really need those.

          And again, I apologize to Miss Erica about the name yuricon (I already did in my email, though I'm not sure if she received it. ^__^;;).

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
            >From: "Trance Ryoichi" <phantomcrusader@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Organizing a Yuri Con: advices, suggestions
            >needed
            >Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:14:56 +0800

            >And again, I apologize to Miss Erica about the name yuricon (I already did
            >in my email, though I'm not sure if she received it. ^__^;;).

            I did and I replied last night with a detailed discussion of organizing a
            con.

          • haruka173
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
              @ Trance Ryoichi: I'm from the Philippines too and VERY keen on
              having a yuri-themed convention here. OT but are you from Filcosplay
              by any chance? If you are then I know you... and in that case I would
              like to help out! ^_~

              @ Erica: Oh, ok... So name approval's needed huh? ^_^ I'll be checking
              the replies to this post and emailing you on this as well. Thank you
              for your help!

              ~Haruka~
            • Trance Ryoichi
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
                Ah, yep. I'm from Filcosplay. I'm the organizer of the Marimite cosplay group...so I guess that'd give you an idea already on who I am. ^^;;

                Right now, we're still on Stage 1.0--Fund raising. ^___^

                Thanks again to Miss Erica on the tips she'd given us. *bows*