Re: [Yuricon] Question: Hentai Manga

  • kylandra
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3 6:42 AM
      Well, I'm not an expert on Japanese laws or anything, so take what I
      say with a grain of salt. But I believe that there actually is a
      specification on what has to be censored. I think that on the penis,
      the glans/head of the penis have to be censored but you can leave the
      shaft unobscured. On the vagina I'm not quite sure how much
      specification there is.

      And also it comes down to differences between format of the work and
      of the artist or publisher. Some artists will put as minimal
      censorship as possible while some will do a lot. And of course video
      games, anime or live action generally have to have much more because
      it's practically impossible to do tiny specific censorship over a
      moving area, so they just slap a huge block of mosaic on top of the
      whole region.

      Age of the work is also a factor. Older anime and manga often have
      'lightsaber dick' syndrome, where there's just kind of a whited out or
      glowing shaft instead of a drawn penis. I've seen somewhat similar
      stuff on the female side of things, too. But newer works tend to use
      tiny bars or dots, or sometimes scribble marks.

      --
      Kylandra

      http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

      Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
      the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku. Give us a listen, and
      don't be afraid to rant back!

      http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/
    • Anna Haapaniemi
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3 10:56 AM
        Hullu!

        The upcomming weekend the biggest, fi nort the only, manga and anime
        convention in Sweden takes place, Uppcon, here in "my" town, Uppsala.
        Of course, I would think (but not know, since I've never been to one)
        that compared to most conventions in the USA and Japan, and about
        everywhere else, it is very very small. They have hired one of the
        three cinemas in town, and also a place called Atrium, where the
        convention itself is. It's two floors. The first one consist of three
        rooms, the biggest one the size of three or four average high school
        classrooms. the second one I don't know the size of, since it's new
        for this year. The cinema has five saloons, the biggest one takes one
        takes 190 persons, and the others between 20 and 60. So, okay, i
        don't know, but i think it counts as kinda tiny. espacially for being
        the biggest one in Sweden.
        But we love it lots here. it's the only thing we got.
        Last year they had some yaoi merchandise and stuff, but I didn't find
        any yuri. This year they show read or Die actually (I'm so happy!),
        and I will see what they have at the manga/anime/merchandise front...

        So, anyone who will join me? *grins*

        //Dtouton