Re: [Yuricon] Question: Hentai Manga

  • Felicia Oliver
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
      I wonder that too, because my sister buys yaoi, and they show everything in them, penatration and all.  Why would they censor the yuri and not the yaoi?  And I have seen regular books ranchier the the manga comics that us Americans write, why do we have to ruined it for everyone else....If you don't want to see the book, don't buy it.

      Mujio Ikari <mujiochan@...> wrote:
      Oh I see so it's all the censorship laws.. didn't know about that.
      I don't see why you need them if your over 18. weird. but what about sometimes they just cover a section of their privates with the boxes
      and not the whole thing, I wonder why. it's weird, it's not like some sections are more private than others, I mean it's all the same thing right?

      Jamie-Lain

      kylandra <geekoriffic@...> wrote:
      It seems to go through phases.  People will start pushing the
      censorship to be more and more minimal--a lot of stuff that I'm seeing
      lately has censorship, but it's a ridiculously halfhearted job, only
      obscuring the tiniest bit (not that I'm complaining about that, heh).
      But it appears that every now and again as it gets more extreme, the
      PTA or some such decides to freak out and cause some ruckus, which
      results in the censorship flaring up to much heavier levels.

      I know not all that long ago there was a guy prosecuted for a hentai
      manga he did called Missitsu.  Was kind of odd, as there really wasn't
      anything all that crazy about it, I've seen lots of stuff much worse.
      But there was a lot of anatomical detail and I think pretty minimal
      censorship, so I guess they decided to use him as a scapegoat to raise
      a stink.  Seemed like after that I started seeing animated hentai with
      censorship that covered almost the entire screen and heavier manga
      censorship too.

      Though if they have actually stepped the laws back I'm pleased.  I do
      know they finally relented on that whole silly 'can't show pubic hair'
      business.

      --
      Kylandra

      http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

      Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
      the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku.  Give us a listen, and
      don't be afraid to rant back!

      http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/

    • kylandra
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
        Well, I'm not an expert on Japanese laws or anything, so take what I
        say with a grain of salt. But I believe that there actually is a
        specification on what has to be censored. I think that on the penis,
        the glans/head of the penis have to be censored but you can leave the
        shaft unobscured. On the vagina I'm not quite sure how much
        specification there is.

        And also it comes down to differences between format of the work and
        of the artist or publisher. Some artists will put as minimal
        censorship as possible while some will do a lot. And of course video
        games, anime or live action generally have to have much more because
        it's practically impossible to do tiny specific censorship over a
        moving area, so they just slap a huge block of mosaic on top of the
        whole region.

        Age of the work is also a factor. Older anime and manga often have
        'lightsaber dick' syndrome, where there's just kind of a whited out or
        glowing shaft instead of a drawn penis. I've seen somewhat similar
        stuff on the female side of things, too. But newer works tend to use
        tiny bars or dots, or sometimes scribble marks.

        --
        Kylandra

        http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

        Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
        the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku. Give us a listen, and
        don't be afraid to rant back!

        http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/
      • Anna Haapaniemi
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
          Hullu!

          The upcomming weekend the biggest, fi nort the only, manga and anime
          convention in Sweden takes place, Uppcon, here in "my" town, Uppsala.
          Of course, I would think (but not know, since I've never been to one)
          that compared to most conventions in the USA and Japan, and about
          everywhere else, it is very very small. They have hired one of the
          three cinemas in town, and also a place called Atrium, where the
          convention itself is. It's two floors. The first one consist of three
          rooms, the biggest one the size of three or four average high school
          classrooms. the second one I don't know the size of, since it's new
          for this year. The cinema has five saloons, the biggest one takes one
          takes 190 persons, and the others between 20 and 60. So, okay, i
          don't know, but i think it counts as kinda tiny. espacially for being
          the biggest one in Sweden.
          But we love it lots here. it's the only thing we got.
          Last year they had some yaoi merchandise and stuff, but I didn't find
          any yuri. This year they show read or Die actually (I'm so happy!),
          and I will see what they have at the manga/anime/merchandise front...

          So, anyone who will join me? *grins*

          //Dtouton