Question: Hentai Manga

  • Mujio Ikari
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hullo Everyone, I just have a question here...umm why do in the Hentai Manga or whatever always have thoes black or white patches over their ^YOU KNOW WHAT'S?^ I mean like who does it? the people that translate it and stuff or is it all ready there in the japanese manga? Just wanted to know who puts it in is all. THANX

      Jamie-Lain

      On Yahoo!7
      Desperate Housewives: Sneak peeks, recaps and more.
    • Kumiko Yamazaki
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
        What? People in japan don't actually have black spots over their privates? DAMN! My Dad lied to me again. -_-;

        Just kidding :)  I think it's censoring laws. n_n

        HC

        On 4/3/06, Mujio Ikari <mujiochan@...> wrote:
        Hullo Everyone, I just have a question here...umm why do in the Hentai Manga or whatever always have thoes black or white patches over their ^YOU KNOW WHAT'S?^ I mean like who does it? the people that translate it and stuff or is it all ready there in the japanese manga? Just wanted to know who puts it in is all. THANX

        Jamie-Lain

        On Yahoo!7
        Desperate Housewives: Sneak peeks, recaps and more.

        Anime manga Anime Yuri
        Romantic dinner

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        "There is no 'Should be' Hikaru, Only what 'there is' and
        what we choose to do about it."

        - Umi Ryuuzaki, "The Final Times"
      • kylandra
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
          Those things are in the manga to begin with.  Japanese law requires censoring over genitalia.  So it's not just in manga--video games and live action pornography in Japan have censorship too, though there it's usually done with mosaics rather than black or whited-out blocks.

          --
          Kylandra

          http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

          Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku.  Give us a listen, and don't be afraid to rant back!

          http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/
        • Ashley
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
            kylandra wrote:

            > Those things are in the manga to begin with. Japanese law requires
            > censoring over genitalia. So it's not just in manga--video games and
            > live action pornography in Japan have censorship too, though there
            > it's usually done with mosaics rather than black or whited-out blocks.
            >
            > On 4/2/06, *Mujio Ikari* <mujiochan@...
            > <mailto:mujiochan@...>> wrote:
            >
            > Hullo Everyone, I just have a question here...umm why do in the
            > Hentai Manga or whatever always have thoes black or white patches
            > over their ^YOU KNOW WHAT'S?^ I mean like who does it? the people
            > that translate it and stuff or is it all ready there in the
            > japanese manga? Just wanted to know who puts it in is all. THANX
            >
            > Jamie-Lain

            From what I heard, the laws have been relaxed a bit, and if you find a
            manga with censoring, its because either the publisher is prudish, or
            the author is... :P

            Ashley
          • kylandra
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
              It seems to go through phases. People will start pushing the
              censorship to be more and more minimal--a lot of stuff that I'm seeing
              lately has censorship, but it's a ridiculously halfhearted job, only
              obscuring the tiniest bit (not that I'm complaining about that, heh).
              But it appears that every now and again as it gets more extreme, the
              PTA or some such decides to freak out and cause some ruckus, which
              results in the censorship flaring up to much heavier levels.

              I know not all that long ago there was a guy prosecuted for a hentai
              manga he did called Missitsu. Was kind of odd, as there really wasn't
              anything all that crazy about it, I've seen lots of stuff much worse.
              But there was a lot of anatomical detail and I think pretty minimal
              censorship, so I guess they decided to use him as a scapegoat to raise
              a stink. Seemed like after that I started seeing animated hentai with
              censorship that covered almost the entire screen and heavier manga
              censorship too.

              Though if they have actually stepped the laws back I'm pleased. I do
              know they finally relented on that whole silly 'can't show pubic hair'
              business.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                Oh I see so it's all the censorship laws.. didn't know about that.
                I don't see why you need them if your over 18. weird. but what about sometimes they just cover a section of their privates with the boxes
                and not the whole thing, I wonder why. it's weird, it's not like some sections are more private than others, I mean it's all the same thing right?

                Jamie-Lain

                --
                Kylandra

                http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

                Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
                the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku.  Give us a listen, and
                don't be afraid to rant back!

                http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/

                On Yahoo!7
                Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

              • Felicia Oliver
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                  I wonder that too, because my sister buys yaoi, and they show everything in them, penatration and all.  Why would they censor the yuri and not the yaoi?  And I have seen regular books ranchier the the manga comics that us Americans write, why do we have to ruined it for everyone else....If you don't want to see the book, don't buy it.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Well, I'm not an expert on Japanese laws or anything, so take what I
                    say with a grain of salt. But I believe that there actually is a
                    specification on what has to be censored. I think that on the penis,
                    the glans/head of the penis have to be censored but you can leave the
                    shaft unobscured. On the vagina I'm not quite sure how much
                    specification there is.

                    And also it comes down to differences between format of the work and
                    of the artist or publisher. Some artists will put as minimal
                    censorship as possible while some will do a lot. And of course video
                    games, anime or live action generally have to have much more because
                    it's practically impossible to do tiny specific censorship over a
                    moving area, so they just slap a huge block of mosaic on top of the
                    whole region.

                    Age of the work is also a factor. Older anime and manga often have
                    'lightsaber dick' syndrome, where there's just kind of a whited out or
                    glowing shaft instead of a drawn penis. I've seen somewhat similar
                    stuff on the female side of things, too. But newer works tend to use
                    tiny bars or dots, or sometimes scribble marks.

                    --
                    Kylandra

                    http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

                    Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
                    the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku. Give us a listen, and
                    don't be afraid to rant back!

                    http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/
                  • Anna Haapaniemi
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Hullu!

                      The upcomming weekend the biggest, fi nort the only, manga and anime
                      convention in Sweden takes place, Uppcon, here in "my" town, Uppsala.
                      Of course, I would think (but not know, since I've never been to one)
                      that compared to most conventions in the USA and Japan, and about
                      everywhere else, it is very very small. They have hired one of the
                      three cinemas in town, and also a place called Atrium, where the
                      convention itself is. It's two floors. The first one consist of three
                      rooms, the biggest one the size of three or four average high school
                      classrooms. the second one I don't know the size of, since it's new
                      for this year. The cinema has five saloons, the biggest one takes one
                      takes 190 persons, and the others between 20 and 60. So, okay, i
                      don't know, but i think it counts as kinda tiny. espacially for being
                      the biggest one in Sweden.
                      But we love it lots here. it's the only thing we got.
                      Last year they had some yaoi merchandise and stuff, but I didn't find
                      any yuri. This year they show read or Die actually (I'm so happy!),
                      and I will see what they have at the manga/anime/merchandise front...

                      So, anyone who will join me? *grins*

                      //Dtouton