Yuri News this week

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29 4:19 PM
      Toei announces movie versions of Rose of Versailles and Pretty Cure
      Splash Star

      Tricolo manga returns to Dengeki Daioh magazine

      Mai Otome OVA planned for summer 2006
      4 episodes will premier in limited TV broadcast this July before a
      fall home video release.

      F3 re-released by Critical Mass
      Female, Frantic and Frustrated to have "corrected subtitles"

      ***

      Get Yuri News by RSS or check the Yuri news page at:http://www.
      yuricon.org/news
    • redhatlain
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29 4:28 PM
        --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        > F3 re-released by Critical Mass
        > Female, Frantic and Frustrated to have "corrected
        > subtitles"

        Will those somehow enhance the plot nuances I missed
        the first time around?

        -hyo

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29 4:40 PM
          >From: redhatlain <redhatlain@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Yuri News this week
          >Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:28:05 -0800 (PST)
          >

          >Will those somehow enhance the plot nuances I missed
          >the first time around?

          I know - the problem with F3 was always the *subtitles*. lol

        • shenotski
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30 6:46 AM
            Was there anything on the level of the Yuri-con 'abnormality' in
            G-taste? (you had to be there to understand why that was funny)
            > I know - the problem with F3 was always the *subtitles*. lol

          • Johann Chua
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 30 7:58 PM
              On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 00:19 +0000, atheniag wrote:
              > F3 re-released by Critical Mass
              > Female, Frantic and Frustrated to have "corrected subtitles"

              I'm wondering why SoftCel let the rights lapse.
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 30 8:06 PM
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 00:19 +0000, atheniag wrote:
                > > F3 re-released by Critical Mass
                > > Female, Frantic and Frustrated to have "corrected subtitles"
                >
                > I'm wondering why SoftCel let the rights lapse.

                Doesn't look like they have. The SoftCel website has announcements
                about Critcal Mass releases, which leads me to believe that it's just
                a new imprint name.

                http://www.softcelpics.com/main.shtml

              • BlackSkaven
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 31 5:24 AM
                  atheniag wrote:

                  > Doesn't look like they have. The SoftCel website has announcements
                  > about Critcal Mass releases, which leads me to believe that it's just
                  > a new imprint name.
                  >
                  > http://www.softcelpics.com/main.shtml

                  Critical Mass is owned by Right Stuf. IIRC SoftCel has been founded by
                  ADV. It seems that SoftCel has been bought by Right Stuf (according to
                  their address). IIRC ADV didn't want to commit to the adult market
                  anymore for years now ...

                  BlackSkaven
                • Mujio Ikari
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Hullo Everyone, I just have a question here...umm why do in the Hentai Manga or whatever always have thoes black or white patches over their ^YOU KNOW WHAT'S?^ I mean like who does it? the people that translate it and stuff or is it all ready there in the japanese manga? Just wanted to know who puts it in is all. THANX

                    Jamie-Lain

                    On Yahoo!7
                    Desperate Housewives: Sneak peeks, recaps and more.
                  • Kumiko Yamazaki
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
                      What? People in japan don't actually have black spots over their privates? DAMN! My Dad lied to me again. -_-;

                      Just kidding :)  I think it's censoring laws. n_n

                      HC

                      On 4/3/06, Mujio Ikari <mujiochan@...> wrote:
                      Hullo Everyone, I just have a question here...umm why do in the Hentai Manga or whatever always have thoes black or white patches over their ^YOU KNOW WHAT'S?^ I mean like who does it? the people that translate it and stuff or is it all ready there in the japanese manga? Just wanted to know who puts it in is all. THANX

                      Jamie-Lain

                      On Yahoo!7
                      Desperate Housewives: Sneak peeks, recaps and more.

                      Anime manga Anime Yuri
                      Romantic dinner

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      "There is no 'Should be' Hikaru, Only what 'there is' and
                      what we choose to do about it."

                      - Umi Ryuuzaki, "The Final Times"
                    • kylandra
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Those things are in the manga to begin with.  Japanese law requires censoring over genitalia.  So it's not just in manga--video games and live action pornography in Japan have censorship too, though there it's usually done with mosaics rather than black or whited-out blocks.

                        --
                        Kylandra

                        http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

                        Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku.  Give us a listen, and don't be afraid to rant back!

                        http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/
                      • Ashley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
                          kylandra wrote:

                          > Those things are in the manga to begin with. Japanese law requires
                          > censoring over genitalia. So it's not just in manga--video games and
                          > live action pornography in Japan have censorship too, though there
                          > it's usually done with mosaics rather than black or whited-out blocks.
                          >
                          > On 4/2/06, *Mujio Ikari* <mujiochan@...
                          > <mailto:mujiochan@...>> wrote:
                          >
                          > Hullo Everyone, I just have a question here...umm why do in the
                          > Hentai Manga or whatever always have thoes black or white patches
                          > over their ^YOU KNOW WHAT'S?^ I mean like who does it? the people
                          > that translate it and stuff or is it all ready there in the
                          > japanese manga? Just wanted to know who puts it in is all. THANX
                          >
                          > Jamie-Lain

                          From what I heard, the laws have been relaxed a bit, and if you find a
                          manga with censoring, its because either the publisher is prudish, or
                          the author is... :P

                          Ashley
                        • kylandra
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
                            It seems to go through phases. People will start pushing the
                            censorship to be more and more minimal--a lot of stuff that I'm seeing
                            lately has censorship, but it's a ridiculously halfhearted job, only
                            obscuring the tiniest bit (not that I'm complaining about that, heh).
                            But it appears that every now and again as it gets more extreme, the
                            PTA or some such decides to freak out and cause some ruckus, which
                            results in the censorship flaring up to much heavier levels.

                            I know not all that long ago there was a guy prosecuted for a hentai
                            manga he did called Missitsu. Was kind of odd, as there really wasn't
                            anything all that crazy about it, I've seen lots of stuff much worse.
                            But there was a lot of anatomical detail and I think pretty minimal
                            censorship, so I guess they decided to use him as a scapegoat to raise
                            a stink. Seemed like after that I started seeing animated hentai with
                            censorship that covered almost the entire screen and heavier manga
                            censorship too.

                            Though if they have actually stepped the laws back I'm pleased. I do
                            know they finally relented on that whole silly 'can't show pubic hair'
                            business.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                              Oh I see so it's all the censorship laws.. didn't know about that.
                              I don't see why you need them if your over 18. weird. but what about sometimes they just cover a section of their privates with the boxes
                              and not the whole thing, I wonder why. it's weird, it's not like some sections are more private than others, I mean it's all the same thing right?

                              Jamie-Lain

                              --
                              Kylandra

                              http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

                              Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
                              the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku.  Give us a listen, and
                              don't be afraid to rant back!

                              http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/

                              On Yahoo!7
                              Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

                            • Felicia Oliver
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                                I wonder that too, because my sister buys yaoi, and they show everything in them, penatration and all.  Why would they censor the yuri and not the yaoi?  And I have seen regular books ranchier the the manga comics that us Americans write, why do we have to ruined it for everyone else....If you don't want to see the book, don't buy it.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                                  Well, I'm not an expert on Japanese laws or anything, so take what I
                                  say with a grain of salt. But I believe that there actually is a
                                  specification on what has to be censored. I think that on the penis,
                                  the glans/head of the penis have to be censored but you can leave the
                                  shaft unobscured. On the vagina I'm not quite sure how much
                                  specification there is.

                                  And also it comes down to differences between format of the work and
                                  of the artist or publisher. Some artists will put as minimal
                                  censorship as possible while some will do a lot. And of course video
                                  games, anime or live action generally have to have much more because
                                  it's practically impossible to do tiny specific censorship over a
                                  moving area, so they just slap a huge block of mosaic on top of the
                                  whole region.

                                  Age of the work is also a factor. Older anime and manga often have
                                  'lightsaber dick' syndrome, where there's just kind of a whited out or
                                  glowing shaft instead of a drawn penis. I've seen somewhat similar
                                  stuff on the female side of things, too. But newer works tend to use
                                  tiny bars or dots, or sometimes scribble marks.

                                  --
                                  Kylandra

                                  http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra

                                  Anime World Order: a podcast covering all things anime and manga, for
                                  the discerning (or maybe just bitter) otaku. Give us a listen, and
                                  don't be afraid to rant back!

                                  http://animeworldorder.blogspot.com/
                                • Anna Haapaniemi
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                                    Hullu!

                                    The upcomming weekend the biggest, fi nort the only, manga and anime
                                    convention in Sweden takes place, Uppcon, here in "my" town, Uppsala.
                                    Of course, I would think (but not know, since I've never been to one)
                                    that compared to most conventions in the USA and Japan, and about
                                    everywhere else, it is very very small. They have hired one of the
                                    three cinemas in town, and also a place called Atrium, where the
                                    convention itself is. It's two floors. The first one consist of three
                                    rooms, the biggest one the size of three or four average high school
                                    classrooms. the second one I don't know the size of, since it's new
                                    for this year. The cinema has five saloons, the biggest one takes one
                                    takes 190 persons, and the others between 20 and 60. So, okay, i
                                    don't know, but i think it counts as kinda tiny. espacially for being
                                    the biggest one in Sweden.
                                    But we love it lots here. it's the only thing we got.
                                    Last year they had some yaoi merchandise and stuff, but I didn't find
                                    any yuri. This year they show read or Die actually (I'm so happy!),
                                    and I will see what they have at the manga/anime/merchandise front...

                                    So, anyone who will join me? *grins*

                                    //Dtouton