Greetings from Urbana

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 8:29 AM
      Hello all -

      I'm typing from the Urbana Free Public Library, since the wireless in the
      hotel was giving me agita.

      I'm sorry I didn't email yesterday, but I was in bed most of the morning
      with a debilitating migraine, and managed to pretend to be human only as
      long as I needed to to get my presentations done.

      The campus here is lovely - reminscent of my own beloved alma mater, but
      spread out and much flatter. :-) And the people have been, so far,
      delightful. Which honestly, I expected no less, but it's always nice to be
      right. lol

      I had to share this bizarro coincidence with you all, which is why I'm
      writing:

      When I was in Tokyo last, Rica Takashima lent me several books. Some manga,
      some doujinshi and a dissertation on Japanese lesbian history, which I read
      cover to cover in order to prepare for this talk I am doing today.

      Last night I addressed a Queer Reading Group, and was introduced to a
      gentleman whose name seemed awfully familiar...

      At dinner, I mentioned this great dissertaition that I used as a resource.
      And the author smiled and said, "I wrote that." LOL James Welker turns out
      to be here, at UIUC. I sat at dinner with him and Bob Tierney, who has been
      my host and guide since I arrived. Two lovely people, truly.

      Now what do you think are the chances that James is here when I am? I think
      they have GOT to be astronomical, don't you? Yuri manga - it's a *really*
      small world.

      And how nice to know that my audience will be full of historians and
      scholars whose area of specialty I dabble in in a completely amateurish way.
      Hey - no pressure, Erica. LOL

      Cheers,

      Erica (who is a tad freaked by this coincidence)

    • windam_2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 12:06 PM
        > And how nice to know that my audience will be full of historians and
        > scholars whose area of specialty I dabble in in a completely
        amateurish way.

        That truly is World Shaking...

        ;D

        -win