Tactical Roar

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Since I can't remember the last time I started a thread that wasn't about Mai-Otome, I thought I'd chime in with this.

      I've seen screencaps on 2-chan and 4-chan so when the sub came out I decided to take a look.
      Tactical Roar is a new show this year, basic premise is that a gi-huge-ic cyclone has taken up residence in the Pacific and the resultant atmospheric and weather changes has ushered in a new age of shipping, and of course pirates. Commercial shipping is protected by support ships which seem to be corporate owned.  The Pascal Mage is a support cruiser with an entirely female crew, all the major fetishes accounted for, that, because of some needed upgrades, gets a young male engineer. As befits a shonen series, lots of fanservice and supposed hilarity ensues.
      For the yuri fans there is Clio, playa and babe magnet. Though she is most likely a yuri-played-for-laughs character,  there is the novelty of her running away from a horde of admirers and jilted lovers. I can't recall seeing that before, though I'm sure I imagined it happening for Sei and Haruka many, many times. ;)
      If you can stand the liberal use of the fanservice bat and the obvious and trite het triangle between the captain, the engineer, and the lead pilot this might have some potential.
      YMMV.
    • kyanite_d
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2006
        I know this series is "old news", but Yorishiku is only now finishing
        the subbing, and with the bleak prospects for the new anime season
        this short series might help lift the spirits for a moment.

        Yes, Clio-oneesama is THE yuri character here, and apparently she was
        (and still is in the first episodes) involved with said pilot.
        Clio and the captain get kissed by a girl in episode 5 and 6 and the
        captain wonders why she liked it so much to be kissed by a girl. :)

        There's also some, dare I mention it, pretty explicit evil!lesbian
        twincest in episodes 5 and 6. So apparently, 5 and 6 are the yuri
        climax of this series.

        The "supposed hilarity" is really just that, and I don't want, by any
        means, defend fanservice, but in this series it's not so much
        voyeuristic but rather blunt, with a cheerful wink, and it shouldn't
        keep anybody from watching, because this series also has a *gasp*
        somewhat coherent and plausible *plot*, somewhat authentic characters
        and... ^^ girls in uniform.

        -K.

        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

        > Since I can't remember the last time I started a thread that
        wasn't
        > about Mai-Otome, I thought I'd chime in with this.
        >
        > I've seen screencaps on 2-chan and 4-chan so when the sub came out
        > decided to take a look.
        > Tactical Roar is a new show this year, basic premise is that a gi-
        > huge-ic cyclone has taken up residence in the Pacific and the
        > resultant atmospheric and weather changes has ushered in a new age
        of
        > shipping, and of course pirates. Commercial shipping is protected
        by
        > support ships which seem to be corporate owned. The Pascal Mage is
        > support cruiser with an entirely female crew, all the major
        fetishes
        > accounted for, that, because of some needed upgrades, gets a young
        > male engineer. As befits a shonen series, lots of fanservice and
        > supposed hilarity ensues.
        > For the yuri fans there is Clio, playa and babe magnet. Though she
        is
        > most likely a yuri-played-for-laughs character, there is the
        novelty
        > of her running away from a horde of admirers and jilted lovers. I
        > can't recall seeing that before, though I'm sure I imagined it
        > happening for Sei and Haruka many, many times. ;)
        > If you can stand the liberal use of the fanservice bat and the
        > obvious and trite het triangle between the captain, the engineer,
        and
        > the lead pilot this might have some potential.
        > YMMV.
        >
        > -==-
        > Serge
        > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
        > http://albikal.blogspot.com

      • Ashley
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
          Its strange...

          The art is rather interesting, kind of avante-garde. The art style
          reminded me of Paradise Kiss, thats what I was trying to think of while
          watching it. I dont know why they drew everyones lips so large. lol And
          who the heck bursts into song after they learn their friend got
          murdered/commited suicide? Still, the anime seems like its just in time
          for Halloween. ^_^ Im not sure why, but I kept expecting everyone to go
          to a Buddist shrine set up for the girl, like you see in other animes. hehe

          Ashley
        • Resop
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
            I'm just happy that I was able to find a group that put out a fansub that I
            could play. For several weeks the only copy out would break up ever 15 seconds
            and the subtitles were very distracting (playing on VLC). (That copy also kept
            a "Yuri" counter, as if anyone could possibly miss the subtext.)

            I do have some high hopes for this series, as a high fashion NYC based
            vampire-a-go-go yuri-athon.

            Craig

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
              >From: Resop <resop2@...>
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Red Garden = Bizarre
              >Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:38:03 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >I do have some high hopes for this series, as a high fashion NYC based
              >vampire-a-go-go yuri-athon.

              LOL Well put! That's pretty much why I'm watching, as well. :-)

              Get today's hot entertainment gossip
              http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001