MAI OTOME - worth it?

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
      It seems the ML is awash with MAI OTOME discussions, so I'm starting
      to wonder wether or not I should start watching it or not. Does it
      carry your seal of approval?

      Usually I let new series slide, so I can guage the reactions; shows
      are either highly recommended or "Meh" fodder. As for this pseudo
      sequel to MAI HiME, I steered clear regardless because of my utter
      contempt for Alternate Universe (tm) sequels to popular franchises (I
      grew up with TENCHI MUYO, who's been reborn inferior about 7 times by
      now, each with a steady decline in quality).

      If MAI HiME is anything to go by, MAI OTOME should have gone dark or
      at least fully flung into the main plot arc. So how is it? Should I
      start watching and join the fun of speculating for a week or so until
      The Next Episode comes up (AnimeSuki truly is Saturday morning for
      grownups), or just avoid it and appreciate MAI HiME for what it was?

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
    • kitten
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
        ok, i'll prolly get some dissent on my opinion, but here goes...

         "meh", niether here nor there. it's not so trite or terrible that i'll stop watching, but Hime was better. Otome leans more on the mahou element (what with the "magical costume change/power activation" sequences, and the ornate costumes), but lacks the intrigue and subtrifuge (maybe it just tries too hard at these) however, Otome does have more yuri fanservice than Hime did. worst of all (in my humble opinion) was that they turned the best character from Hime into a fat, lazy, male cat. anyhow, if you like mahou and/or yuri fanservice, watch.
         the preceeding was not a criticism, nor a recomendation, simply an opinion.

        Jen <puni@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        kitty =^!^=
        BIPOLARIS DELERIUM MENTIA

      • Aaron the PK
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
          --- Jen <puni@...> wrote:

          > It seems the ML is awash with MAI OTOME discussions,
          > so I'm starting
          > to wonder wether or not I should start watching it
          > or not. Does it
          > carry your seal of approval?
          >
          > Usually I let new series slide, so I can guage the
          > reactions; shows
          > are either highly recommended or "Meh" fodder. As
          > for this pseudo
          > sequel to MAI HiME, I steered clear regardless
          > because of my utter
          > contempt for Alternate Universe (tm) sequels to
          > popular franchises (I
          > grew up with TENCHI MUYO, who's been reborn inferior
          > about 7 times by
          > now, each with a steady decline in quality).
          >
          > If MAI HiME is anything to go by, MAI OTOME should
          > have gone dark or
          > at least fully flung into the main plot arc. So how
          > is it? Should I
          > start watching and join the fun of speculating for a
          > week or so until
          > The Next Episode comes up (AnimeSuki truly is
          > Saturday morning for
          > grownups), or just avoid it and appreciate MAI HiME
          > for what it was?
          >
          > Kisses XXOOXX
          > Jen

          Well, up until the most recent episode, the general
          consensus (from Mai HiME fans) seemed to be "Otome is
          much better than HiME." Events in the most recent
          episode have some of us questioning whether the
          quality will continue or decline, though. Until the
          series actually ends, it's difficult to say.

          Mai HiME was awesome until the second half of the last
          episode which did some stupid things. It didn't hurt
          my enjoyment of the rest of the series, but the ending
          wasn't very good. Throughout Otome, I have felt that
          HiME was better but Otome is still very good (and
          could be better depending on how it ends). The early
          episodes of Otome where very good (better than the
          early episodes of HiME) and looked to be on track to
          be better than HiME. But, as I said before, the most
          recent episode has led most (if not all) of us to
          believe that Otome will have the same problem as HiME.

          It may be better to ask again after the series ends.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jamie Wells
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
            I think it's good, not great, but good.

            Spoilers---------

            I have a question though, is anyone else quite disturbed by the relationship between Sergay and Arika?  He's gotta be at least 10-15 years older than she is and even though he's bothered by it (keeps saying that Nina is the same age) he doesn't really make any effort to stop anything.  (I've only watched up to episode 15, so I do know that he pushed her away saying he was just testing her when they were going to kiss)--but the scene afterwards where he had his asst turn Nina away, he obviously was regretting what he'd done to Arika..

            Ugh, it's just unsettling to me, morally and physically... I really hope the makers of the series manage to either obliterate those feelings between the two before the end of the series or at least give a good explanation why he's feeling that way towards a little girl. (is she or is she not the daughter of the famous windbloom otome, for example?)

            Personally, I'm wondering if Arika's feelings are merely an extension of Mashiro's feelings.  They made a contract and so I wonder how far the bond goes between master and otome... It would be good for Arika if it turned out to be such, she's obviously not handling this well.