RE: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
      >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN
      >Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:53 -0500
      >
      >So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.

      See - now I can feel morally superior (coincidentally putting me on the same
      footing as Shizuru below, lol) because I'd been saying "hey, it's STILL the
      same team that eefed up the ending of mai HiME" the whole time. :-)

      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*

      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*

      >Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much to the
      >surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly, unhurt, but his
      >shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji- sama's
      >hankerchief.

      Didn't you feel that coming when the damn thing was introduced. It stank of
      "plot device to show that Sergey is "oji-sama'".

      Arika and Nina are surprised. Arika
      >asks for confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's dishing out
      >instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing that she is true Princess
      >of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.
      >Nagi wonders exactly when Sergey was going to share this information with
      >him, and I think wonders if he seduced her. Well, he says something that
      >surprises and shames Sergey. and he can't look anyone in the eye either.

      He accuses Sergey of betraying him, yeah.

      >Whatever it is, Nina reacts very badly. So badly that the Meister GEM set
      >that Nagi has, that no one knew about it, reacts.
      >Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out, and now the pendant
      >spits out it's GEMs. John Smith is now surprised, because he had no idea
      >Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,

      I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First Lady, "so,
      hey, Black Diamond would be...?"

      And she says, "Coal."

      And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."

      So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
      sake.

    • mellowrg
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

        > So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.
        >

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *

        [snip]

        The beam canon is obviously made out of the same material that makes
        up Sergei's shirt. it's pointless to attack it! That and John Smith
        was on board providing a +9 charisma effect. As the beach episode
        proved, even Aswad and Midori can't help but stare in awe when that is
        in effect.

        Sergei is probably a gradutate of the John Smith school of gunmanship.

        [slightly more serious mode]

        Erstin's mentality comes from something more serious called group
        disjunction. To make it short, she identifies more with Schwarz than
        Garderobe,

        [slightly more serious mode end]

        that and she's a wuss.

        Otherwise yes, Mai Otome is a shameless celebration of melodrama. But
        isn't that what Mai Hime was all about too?
      • Aaron the PK
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
          --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

          > So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.
          >

          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *

          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          >

          > Recycled footage from last week, and then a new
          > reaction of Erstin
          > and Irina, and Erstin looks sad and clutches at her
          > chest. (I guess
          > they are going there. Bah!)

          Yeah, from pretty much her first appearance in the
          episode, you could tell it was going to be her.

          This episode actually gives a small boost to my Turn-A
          HiME theory as the Shinso-sama Machine has "HiME:
          Highly Advanced Materializing Equipment" appear on it.

          > She then
          > turns and calls Shizuru's name and Shizuru nods,
          > materializes and
          > flies off to take out the cannon. Oh wait, I'm
          > sorry, that last bit
          > only happened in my head.

          The fact that NO ONE even tried to take out the cannon
          is a bad sign for the remainder of the series.
          Hopefully, it's just a minor oversight and this type
          of thing won't happen again. *trying to be optimistic*

          > Natsuki materializes for the first
          > time, followed by Shizuru,

          This was among the best scenes in the episode.
          (Oh, look the Searrs logo,
          > cue speculation
          > on link to MH)

          I didn't even notice that. Thank you for pointing
          that out. :)

          > Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the
          > Slave, much to
          > the surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is,
          > implausibly, unhurt,
          > but his shirt is ripped and a plot device comes
          > floating out: Oji-
          > sama's hankerchief. Arika and Nina are surprised.

          I saw the first part coming a mile away and the second
          part screams Deux Ex Machina. Where the heck was he
          keeping that thing anyway?

          > Arika asks for
          > confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's
          > dishing out
          > instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing
          > that she is true
          > Princess of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.

          It is possible he is lying simply to try to save
          Arika's life, but considering the route they've gone
          in this episode, that seems unlikely.

          > Whatever it is, Nina reacts very
          > badly. So badly
          > that the Meister GEM set that Nagi has, that no one
          > knew about it,
          > reacts.
          > Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out,
          > and now the
          > pendant spits out it's GEMs.

          I really didn't like this part. Was Nagi EVER shown
          having that pendant before? Why was this legendary
          "Ultimate Black Diamond" never mentioned until know?

          > Sergey, knowing what's coming next, pleads for Nina
          > to stop, but she
          > doesn't, of course. Why spoil a perfectly good
          > impending fight. She
          > materializes.

          And her Robe still sucks.

          > I have mixed feelings about this episode, while it
          > had a few very
          > cool moments, I don't think I've ever been as
          > annoyed at the lazy way
          > things happened for dramatic necessity. I do admit
          > to enjoying the
          > episode, but the more I think about it, the more I
          > realize I need to
          > stop raising my expectations. I apologize if I gave
          > anybody hope last
          > week, my bad.

          I'm a bit disappointed in some of things that happened
          (or how they happened) in this episode, but it's not
          enough to hurt the series too much yet.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006

            From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
            Subject: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN
            Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:53 -0500

            So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.

            See - now I can feel morally superior (coincidentally putting me on the same
            footing as Shizuru below, lol) because I'd been saying "hey, it's STILL the
            same team that eefed up the ending of mai HiME" the whole time. :-)

            No, I will never give up my dream! One day characters I like will be in a show that dazzles me with it's originality and quality.

            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *

            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *

            Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much to  the
            surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly, unhurt,  but his
            shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji- sama's
            hankerchief.

            Didn't you feel that coming when the damn thing was introduced. It stank of
            "plot device to show that Sergey is "oji-sama'".

            Yeah, I did. I was thinking, though, that this particular plot point was going to be resolved later than it was. I thought Nina would eventually fight Arika just because she was the more traditionally minded Otome, as she indicates to both Miss Maria in the tombs and to Sergey after Akane runs off. Oh well.

             because he  had no idea
            Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,

            I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First Lady, "so,
            hey, Black Diamond would be...?"

            And she says, "Coal."

            And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."

            So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
            sake.

            Oh yeah, how about that. Iffy name, cool looking robe. I guess it evens out.

            -==-

            Serge

            http://ximatl.blogspot.com

            http://albikal.blogspot.com

          • Shane
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006

              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *

              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >> *
              > >
              > >> Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,
              > >
              > > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally
              > ask the First
              > > Lady, "so,
              > > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
              > >
              > > And she says, "Coal."
              > >
              > > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
              > >
              > > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister.
              > Black Diamond, for
              > > pity's
              > > sake.
              >
              > Oh yeah, how about that. Iffy name, cool looking
              > robe. I guess it
              > evens out.

              There is acctually such thing as a black diamond it's
              just not very popular. I think the mines are in south
              america but Im not positive.
              http://www.gemhut.com/diamondb.htm

              "I didn't do it! ... Unless it was a good thing, then maybe I did...!"
              -Shane-

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • byapes2001
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                wrote:

                > >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                > >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN
                > >Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:53 -0500
                > >

                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*

                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                > >*
                >
                > >Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much
                to the
                > >surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly,
                unhurt, but his
                > >shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji- sama's
                > >hankerchief.
                >
                > Didn't you feel that coming when the damn thing was introduced. It
                stank of
                > "plot device to show that Sergey is "oji-sama'".

                (Note: I'm going on blog screenshots for this.) And another thing,
                *how* did Sergey manage to survive that attack? Never mind the
                ripped shirt-and the deployment of the Plot Device-he should at
                least be bleeding a bit.

                > Arika and Nina are surprised. Arika
                > >asks for confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's
                dishing out
                > >instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing that she is
                true Princess
                > >of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.
                > >Nagi wonders exactly when Sergey was going to share this
                information with
                > >him, and I think wonders if he seduced her. Well, he says
                something that
                > >surprises and shames Sergey. and he can't look anyone in the eye
                either.

                > He accuses Sergey of betraying him, yeah.
                >
                > >Whatever it is, Nina reacts very badly. So badly that the
                Meister GEM set
                > >that Nagi has, that no one knew about it, reacts.
                > >Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out, and now the
                pendant
                > >spits out it's GEMs. John Smith is now surprised, because he had
                no idea
                > >Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,
                >
                > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First
                Lady, "so,
                > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                >
                > And she says, "Coal."
                >
                > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                >
                > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond,
                for pity's
                > sake.

                ...Dammit now I can't get the song "Coal Miner's Daughter" out of
                my head...

                ...retitled of course "Coal Meister's Daughter."

                <Ducks and covers>

                Brian Yaple
                BYapes@...
                BYapes2001
              • Kat Ehas
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006

                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*

                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First Lady, "so,
                  > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                  >
                  > And she says, "Coal."
                  >
                  > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                  >
                  > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
                  > sake.

                  While I can totally understand where you would get "coal" form "black
                  diamond", I have another theory on what "black diamond" could refer
                  to, by completely ignoring the chemical composition of diamonds:
                  obsidian. It's black, and glass-like. I could see where people in
                  another time and place, without understand that diamonds are pretty
                  much pure carbon, and obsidian isn't, would look at them and say that
                  obsidian is a black diamond. And that ties into the whole Lord
                  Obsidian thing.

                  Just a thought.

                  kat_chan
                • Jamie Wells
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006
                    Kat Ehas <kat0211@...> wrote:

                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*

                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First
                    Lady, "so,
                    > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                    >
                    > And she says, "Coal."
                    >
                    > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                    >
                    > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
                    > sake.

                    While I can totally understand where you would get "coal" form "black
                    diamond", I have another theory on what "black diamond" could refer
                    to, by completely ignoring the chemical composition of diamonds:
                    obsidian.  It's black, and glass-like.  I could see where people in
                    another time and place, without understand that diamonds are pretty
                    much pure carbon, and obsidian isn't, would look at them and say that
                    obsidian is a black diamond.  And that ties into the whole Lord
                    Obsidian thing.

                    Just a thought.

                    kat_chan
                    *looks above*  She's good...

                    Yahoo! Mail
                  • Shane
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006
                      --- Kat Ehas <kat0211@...> wrote:

                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*

                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > >*
                      > > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally
                      > ask the First Lady, "so,
                      > > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                      > >
                      > > And she says, "Coal."
                      > >
                      > > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                      > >
                      > > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister.
                      > Black Diamond, for pity's
                      > > sake.
                      >
                      > While I can totally understand where you would get
                      > "coal" form "black
                      > diamond", I have another theory on what "black
                      > diamond" could refer
                      > to, by completely ignoring the chemical composition
                      > of diamonds:
                      > obsidian. It's black, and glass-like. I could see
                      > where people in
                      > another time and place, without understand that
                      > diamonds are pretty
                      > much pure carbon, and obsidian isn't, would look at
                      > them and say that
                      > obsidian is a black diamond. And that ties into the
                      > whole Lord
                      > Obsidian thing.
                      >
                      > Just a thought.
                      >
                      > kat_chan

                      There are such things as black Diamonds. They are very
                      rare but under the right pressure and heat a diamond
                      can form with a black color. I think I may have
                      already posted this to the group. The link below to
                      check out if you want to check it out yourself.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006

                        > There are such things as black Diamonds. They are very
                        > rare but under the right pressure and heat a diamond
                        > can form with a black color. I think I may have
                        > already posted this to the group. The link below to
                        > check out if you want to check it out yourself.
                        > http://www.gemhut.com/diamondb.htm

                        Yes, I saw that link when it was posted before. But I still think
                        that the idea that "black diamond" = obsidian works much better with
                        the motif of MH and MO.

                        kat_chan