Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
      So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      We pick up the action with the Schwarz invasion of Windbloom. In a sense, Mashiro's castle does resemble her drawing, when it fires the entire top of the castle glows a pretty bright white. But, instead of being a life giving beacon of happiness, it is a death ray. Which for some people amounts to the same thing. ;)
      Recycled footage from last week, and then a new reaction of Erstin and Irina, and Erstin looks sad and clutches at her chest. (I guess they are going there. Bah!) More recycled footage. Reaction shot of Natsuki and Mashiro. Natsuki curses Schwarz and asks Mashiro for permission to act. Confused Mashiro can only nod her head in agreement.  Natsuki declares a 5 Column Emergency and on her authority releases the master restriction on all Pearl and Coral robes, and instructs them on the defense of Guarderobe. She then turns and calls Shizuru's name and Shizuru nods, materializes and flies off to take out the cannon. Oh wait, I'm sorry, that last bit only happened in my head.
      After Natsuki instructs the students, Nina and Arika nod at each other, then immediately move to secure the VIPs, Arika goes to Mashiro and Nina to Sergey, Sergey begins to tell Nina that her concern should be elsewhere, but the cannon powers up and a smug John Smith has it fire at the stadium. Last shot you see Natsuki, Mashiro et al getting the heck out of Dodge. Knowing full well that it will not last, John Smith is clearly enjoying himself.
      Cue OP and sponsors.
      Cut to the park with the gazebo, Aoi is trying to wake a unconscious Mashiro with Mikoto watching and Arika guarding. Mashiro wakes up, to Aoi's and Mikoto's relief, and immediately wonders what the hell is going on. Arika doesn't know, but she doesn't like it one bit. Some Mashiro self-pitying is interrupted by a noise in the woods. Arika powers up her robe and challenges. But, Erstin emerges from the forest and Arika relaxes her guard.
      Cut to Midori and The Pips strolling through a chaotic and burning downtown Windbloom on their way to Guarderobe. Midori says something about their chance to loot Guarderobe for new toys.
      Cut to Nina and Sergey outside the castle, oblivious to the wounded and chaos around them. Sergey starts getting serious, Nina says she's ready for anything, and Sergey tells Nina that it's her duty to serve and fight for Nagi and Artai as he's on his way, even though she'd rather fight only for him. Nina resolves to do as Sergey instructs. Sergey turns to leave and then adds "No matter what happens, take out that cannon." Oh, sorry just in my head again.
      Sergey walks away and Nina watches him longingly before turning to leave herself.
      More shots of Slaves in downtown Windbloom. Schwarz=Germany, Windbloom=France, and Sakomizu is shown exhibiting his French ancestry.
      Cut to Natsuki and Shizuru in her office discussing the situation and drawing up a counteroffensive. Shizuru goes after the cannon, the Pearls will be her wingmen, and Natsuki will lead the rest of the school in defense of Guarderobe. Nope, my head again.
      I'm not sure what they discuss, but as Natsuki starts giving out instruction, Miss Maria shows up in a  "Barbarians at the Gate" panic.
      Cut to the school grounds as Tomoe gets the smackdown in front of a scared Irina.  Pull back to reveal Aswald. Rad asks Irina if she's feeling lucky.
      Cut to John Smith watching the scene with his binoculars; knowing how Natsuki is going to react to Aswald at her doorstep, he starts the second phase of his operation, puts his feet up, starts brewing some coffee and reading the paper. A massive ornate cartridge starts a Rube Goldberg-ian journey.
      Meanwhile, Schwarz agents and their Slaves scour the city, demanding information on Mashiro. All they want is Mashiro and say something along the lines that they will go away once they have her. Cut to Arika peering out an alleyway, deeper inside the alley is Erstin, Aoi, Mikoto and Mashiro who is changing into her "casual" clothes that Aoi must have hidden in her skirt or something.
      Just as Arika is saying they need to go a different way, they are discovered by a woman, Arika asks her to not say anything, but Mashiro finally learns how much her citizens love her, as the woman betrays their position. Time to run.
      Irina wasn't feeling lucky at all, and Aswald is walking up the stairs to Fumi's shrine, in the background you can clearly see that the cannon has a clear line of sight to the shrine. . . . Shizuru and Natsuki walk down to meet Aswald. Lots of standard good guy/bad guy dialog and prepping for a fight. Natsuki materializes for the first time, followed by Shizuru, and Midori powers up her REM and gets Gakutenou in on the action.  Everybody leaps into the air and the battle is joined.
      Meanwhile, our Pearl trio is attempting to infiltrate the castle to disable the Schwarz cannon.  I wish.
      Cut to the Arika leading her ragtag group through the sewers, and Mashiro complaining. Arika says something to Erstin, and Erstin seems lost in though, and from the lighting, very, very tired. Suddenly, Mikoto senses something behind them. Nobody sees anything, but suddenly a light goes on in front of them.
      It's Sergey and he has a gun pointed at them, saying "Stop right there or something". Arika asks him what is he doing. But instead of answering, he just shoots them down. Oh wait! there were Schwarz agents behind them unseen all along. Good thing a shooting lane magically opened up for him, otherwise Erstin and Aoi might have been shot, as they were directly in his line of fire a second ago. <rolls eyes> Studly Sergey then leads them away.
      Meanwhile, Natsuki, Shizuru and Aswald continue their battle using mostly recycled footage. Cut to our mysterious cartridge, finally, loading into the breach of Schwarz' cannon, after traveling 50 miles to get there. Fire it up, and a naked woman pops out. (Great for Parties!) Naked woman, with the weird hips, is vague enough to start a whole new line of speculation as to her identity and manages to overload the GEM system based on Fumi, (insert lame joke about Fumi going to pieces in front of naked women here.) Meaning that all Corals, Pearls and Pillars lose their GEMs and their robes.
      Without their robes, Natsuki and Shizuru suddenly find themselves overmatched, and Natsuki nearly gets her head skewered. Not realizing what has happened, I think, Midori assumes it's an insult. (You suck so much we can beat you without our robes on.) Until Yohko arrives to explain the situation and reveal herself to Aswald finally. Yohko explains that the system is down, so there will be no more lightswitch raves. Yohko says something about Natsuki here, but I'm not sure what it was.
      Slaves arrive at Guarderobe, and with the Otome system down, her REM at its limit, and Schwarz closing in, Midori orders a retreat. Yohko calls after Midori and Reito, but he only answers to Rad now and calls Yohko a traitor, I think.
      Cut to John Smith patting himself on the back for the unholy alliance he struck with the forces of dramatic necessity.
      Meanwhile, Nina waits outside the city on a cliff and sees Artai battle cruisers approaching Windbloom. Hmm. That was fast.
      Eye catch.
      At a hangar somewhere else in the city, Arika is wondering what happened to her robe. Sergey explains the situation. Slow pan, as Arika works out what that means, to see that Erstin is standing off by herself, looking lost in thought. Close up on Erstin, clutching something in her hand. Then, as if by magic, John Smith arrives, and Erstin reacts in surprise. John Smith begins the standard villain gloat speech. He notices Sergey and says something like "Ah good you're here." or something implying Sergey is on his side. Sergey bristles at that. Ignorant of the hero/villain rules of conduct Arika moves to kick his ass. Smith backs her off with the gatling needle gun he pulls out of his ass, I mean hover bike.  Cue glowing Sapphire of the Azure Sky. Sergey tells Arika that her GEM isn't effected because it's a Meister GEM, it's power comes from the bond between Master and Otome. Arika runs to Mashiro and the GEM activates based on their existing contract. John Smith scolds Sergey for helping Arika.
      Arika materializes, but again, before she can kick his ass, John Smith pulls out his trump card: Erstin.
      Cut to a clearly reluctant, crying Erstin who reveals a glowing slave crystal. Arika doesn't believe it, but John Smith explains why as Erstin summons her Slave. (Oh, look the Searrs logo, cue speculation on link to MH)
      Cut to Natsuki and Shizuru facing off against a Slave and it's master. Silly reaction shot from the Trias. Poor Chie is doomed to be Shiho's straight man. (What a total waste of her character, when was the last time Chie did something cool? and we didn't even get to see her fight.) Nao, not wanting to be involved in this show anymore, sneaks off. Yukariko tries to reassure a group of Corals and Pearls and Miss Maria can't believe what's happening to Guarderobe.
      Back to Shizuru and Natsuki  cornered by Schwarz at the entrance to the shrine. Shizuru says she'll be the decoy so Natsuki can get away, Natsuki refuses initially, preferring to make a stand here, but Shizuru angrily reminds her that if she went after the cannon earlier they wouldn't be in this position, I mean, Natsuki is too important to get captured. Natsuki reluctantly agrees, and they both run off in different directions. Slave guy follows Shizuru, having heard none of their conversation just now.
      Meanwhile, Erstin's Slave shoots at Arika, she easily avoids and lands protectively in front of Mashiro. A crying Erstin pleads for Arika to hand over Mashiro, because she doesn't want to fight Arika. Arika says she can't do that and asks why Erstin's doing this. Erstin answers filial piety. Grandmother, Grandfather, Mother, and Father are all Schwarz, she has no choice, that and she has no spine.  The Slave attacks and Arika starts beating on it, which directly effects Erstin. Arika doesn't figure this out, and John Smith has to explain it to her.
      Just then Nagi calls out to Mashiro and we begin part two of the standard villain gloating speech. Nina, tagging along with Nagi, makes the connection between Erstin and the Slave and wonders why. Erstin, ashamed, cannot look at Nina directly. Then she wonders why Sergey is there. Nagi says something about that. Mashiro demands an explanation and Nagi begins his voiceover, as we see Natsuki darting through the alleys and literally running into Violent Mime Nao, who is nonplussed. ("Every time I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in.") Nagi orchestrated this whole thing to control Windbloom. Schwarz attacks and Nagi comes in and shoos them off becoming a hero to the people. He deposes Mashiro and everybody's happy. As he continues to talk, Shizuru kicks Schwarz ass without her robe, until they they threaten her with captured students, including a thoroughly humiliated Tomoe and Irina. Shizuru surrenders, but remains morally superior. And we see Slaves backing off and retreating as Artai tanks roll into the city.
      Nagi offers Mashiro a chance to save herself and her friends, but Arika rejects on principle and implores Mashiro to do the same.  No sweat off his back, Nagi has Smith goad Erstin to take care of Arika. Erstin's Slave hits Arika, sending her flying. Smith has to goad Erstin to make the killing blow, and she starts to, all the while apologizing and crying, lacking the courage of her convictions.
      Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much to the surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly, unhurt, but his shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji-sama's hankerchief.  Arika and Nina are surprised. Arika asks for confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's dishing out instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing that she is true Princess of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.
      Nagi wonders exactly when Sergey was going to share this information with him, and I think wonders if he seduced her. Well, he says something that surprises and shames Sergey. and he can't look anyone in the eye either. Whatever it is, Nina reacts very badly. So badly that the Meister GEM set that Nagi has, that no one knew about it, reacts.
      Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out, and now the pendant spits out it's GEMs. John Smith is now surprised, because he had no idea Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond, whatever that means. Nagi, the only person in the second half of the episode not at all surprised, talks to a distraught and angry Nina and they make the contract. Nina will fight for Nagi, on his orders, no matter what.
      Sergey, knowing what's coming next, pleads for Nina to stop, but she doesn't, of course. Why spoil a perfectly good impending fight.  She materializes. Arika pleads with Nina,"Aren't we friends." but Nina is too angry to listen to that and goes after Arika. Erstin puts her Slave in the way and Nina cuts it down with ease. Erstin screams and falls and everyone rushes to her side. Begin extended death scene.
      As Erstin slowly starts to green sparkle away she recalls all the good times and how all she wanted was to be with her friends, or something sappy like that in an attempt to find redemption for having no spine. Cue montage of the three friends. Cut to the bandage that was around Erstin's leg last episode twisting in the wind. Natsuki and Nao arrive just in time to stand around and gape.
      Nina and Arika both grieve over their friend and immediately blame each other for what has just transpired. Cue power ups with dramatic, yet tragic music. And Arika and Nina go at each other at full tilt, creating a huge ball of energy that grows and sublimates everything in its path
      Cue ED
      Next up, Mashiro, Aoi and Natsuki rough it in the desert and meet Miyu.

      I have mixed feelings about this episode, while it had a few very cool moments, I don't think I've ever been as annoyed at the lazy way things happened for dramatic necessity. I do admit to enjoying the episode, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I need to stop raising my expectations. I apologize if I gave anybody hope last week, my bad.

      If I feel like ranting I may add more when the sub comes out.

      -==-

      Serge

      http://ximatl.blogspot.com

      http://albikal.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
        >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN
        >Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:53 -0500
        >
        >So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.

        See - now I can feel morally superior (coincidentally putting me on the same
        footing as Shizuru below, lol) because I'd been saying "hey, it's STILL the
        same team that eefed up the ending of mai HiME" the whole time. :-)

        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*

        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*

        >Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much to the
        >surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly, unhurt, but his
        >shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji- sama's
        >hankerchief.

        Didn't you feel that coming when the damn thing was introduced. It stank of
        "plot device to show that Sergey is "oji-sama'".

        Arika and Nina are surprised. Arika
        >asks for confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's dishing out
        >instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing that she is true Princess
        >of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.
        >Nagi wonders exactly when Sergey was going to share this information with
        >him, and I think wonders if he seduced her. Well, he says something that
        >surprises and shames Sergey. and he can't look anyone in the eye either.

        He accuses Sergey of betraying him, yeah.

        >Whatever it is, Nina reacts very badly. So badly that the Meister GEM set
        >that Nagi has, that no one knew about it, reacts.
        >Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out, and now the pendant
        >spits out it's GEMs. John Smith is now surprised, because he had no idea
        >Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,

        I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First Lady, "so,
        hey, Black Diamond would be...?"

        And she says, "Coal."

        And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."

        So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
        sake.

      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

          > So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.
          >

          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *

          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *

          [snip]

          The beam canon is obviously made out of the same material that makes
          up Sergei's shirt. it's pointless to attack it! That and John Smith
          was on board providing a +9 charisma effect. As the beach episode
          proved, even Aswad and Midori can't help but stare in awe when that is
          in effect.

          Sergei is probably a gradutate of the John Smith school of gunmanship.

          [slightly more serious mode]

          Erstin's mentality comes from something more serious called group
          disjunction. To make it short, she identifies more with Schwarz than
          Garderobe,

          [slightly more serious mode end]

          that and she's a wuss.

          Otherwise yes, Mai Otome is a shameless celebration of melodrama. But
          isn't that what Mai Hime was all about too?
        • Aaron the PK
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
            --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

            > So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.
            >

            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *

            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            > *
            >

            > Recycled footage from last week, and then a new
            > reaction of Erstin
            > and Irina, and Erstin looks sad and clutches at her
            > chest. (I guess
            > they are going there. Bah!)

            Yeah, from pretty much her first appearance in the
            episode, you could tell it was going to be her.

            This episode actually gives a small boost to my Turn-A
            HiME theory as the Shinso-sama Machine has "HiME:
            Highly Advanced Materializing Equipment" appear on it.

            > She then
            > turns and calls Shizuru's name and Shizuru nods,
            > materializes and
            > flies off to take out the cannon. Oh wait, I'm
            > sorry, that last bit
            > only happened in my head.

            The fact that NO ONE even tried to take out the cannon
            is a bad sign for the remainder of the series.
            Hopefully, it's just a minor oversight and this type
            of thing won't happen again. *trying to be optimistic*

            > Natsuki materializes for the first
            > time, followed by Shizuru,

            This was among the best scenes in the episode.
            (Oh, look the Searrs logo,
            > cue speculation
            > on link to MH)

            I didn't even notice that. Thank you for pointing
            that out. :)

            > Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the
            > Slave, much to
            > the surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is,
            > implausibly, unhurt,
            > but his shirt is ripped and a plot device comes
            > floating out: Oji-
            > sama's hankerchief. Arika and Nina are surprised.

            I saw the first part coming a mile away and the second
            part screams Deux Ex Machina. Where the heck was he
            keeping that thing anyway?

            > Arika asks for
            > confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's
            > dishing out
            > instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing
            > that she is true
            > Princess of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.

            It is possible he is lying simply to try to save
            Arika's life, but considering the route they've gone
            in this episode, that seems unlikely.

            > Whatever it is, Nina reacts very
            > badly. So badly
            > that the Meister GEM set that Nagi has, that no one
            > knew about it,
            > reacts.
            > Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out,
            > and now the
            > pendant spits out it's GEMs.

            I really didn't like this part. Was Nagi EVER shown
            having that pendant before? Why was this legendary
            "Ultimate Black Diamond" never mentioned until know?

            > Sergey, knowing what's coming next, pleads for Nina
            > to stop, but she
            > doesn't, of course. Why spoil a perfectly good
            > impending fight. She
            > materializes.

            And her Robe still sucks.

            > I have mixed feelings about this episode, while it
            > had a few very
            > cool moments, I don't think I've ever been as
            > annoyed at the lazy way
            > things happened for dramatic necessity. I do admit
            > to enjoying the
            > episode, but the more I think about it, the more I
            > realize I need to
            > stop raising my expectations. I apologize if I gave
            > anybody hope last
            > week, my bad.

            I'm a bit disappointed in some of things that happened
            (or how they happened) in this episode, but it's not
            enough to hurt the series too much yet.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006

              From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
              Subject: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN
              Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:53 -0500

              So, my total fanboy mode lasted exactly one episode.

              See - now I can feel morally superior (coincidentally putting me on the same
              footing as Shizuru below, lol) because I'd been saying "hey, it's STILL the
              same team that eefed up the ending of mai HiME" the whole time. :-)

              No, I will never give up my dream! One day characters I like will be in a show that dazzles me with it's originality and quality.

              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *

              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *
              *

              Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much to  the
              surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly, unhurt,  but his
              shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji- sama's
              hankerchief.

              Didn't you feel that coming when the damn thing was introduced. It stank of
              "plot device to show that Sergey is "oji-sama'".

              Yeah, I did. I was thinking, though, that this particular plot point was going to be resolved later than it was. I thought Nina would eventually fight Arika just because she was the more traditionally minded Otome, as she indicates to both Miss Maria in the tombs and to Sergey after Akane runs off. Oh well.

               because he  had no idea
              Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,

              I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First Lady, "so,
              hey, Black Diamond would be...?"

              And she says, "Coal."

              And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."

              So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
              sake.

              Oh yeah, how about that. Iffy name, cool looking robe. I guess it evens out.

              -==-

              Serge

              http://ximatl.blogspot.com

              http://albikal.blogspot.com

            • Shane
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006

                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *

                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >> *
                > >
                > >> Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,
                > >
                > > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally
                > ask the First
                > > Lady, "so,
                > > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                > >
                > > And she says, "Coal."
                > >
                > > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                > >
                > > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister.
                > Black Diamond, for
                > > pity's
                > > sake.
                >
                > Oh yeah, how about that. Iffy name, cool looking
                > robe. I guess it
                > evens out.

                There is acctually such thing as a black diamond it's
                just not very popular. I think the mines are in south
                america but Im not positive.
                http://www.gemhut.com/diamondb.htm

                "I didn't do it! ... Unless it was a good thing, then maybe I did...!"
                -Shane-

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • byapes2001
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                  wrote:

                  > >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                  > >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [Yuricon] Mai-Otome 17 SPOILED AND ROTTEN
                  > >Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:53 -0500
                  > >

                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*

                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  > >*
                  >
                  > >Sergey reacts and puts himself between Arika and the Slave, much
                  to the
                  > >surprise of both Erstin and Nina. Sergey is, implausibly,
                  unhurt, but his
                  > >shirt is ripped and a plot device comes floating out: Oji- sama's
                  > >hankerchief.
                  >
                  > Didn't you feel that coming when the damn thing was introduced. It
                  stank of
                  > "plot device to show that Sergey is "oji-sama'".

                  (Note: I'm going on blog screenshots for this.) And another thing,
                  *how* did Sergey manage to survive that attack? Never mind the
                  ripped shirt-and the deployment of the Plot Device-he should at
                  least be bleeding a bit.

                  > Arika and Nina are surprised. Arika
                  > >asks for confirmation, but Sergey has another surprise he's
                  dishing out
                  > >instead. He pleads for Arika's life by revealing that she is
                  true Princess
                  > >of Windbloom, surprising Aoi and Mashiro.
                  > >Nagi wonders exactly when Sergey was going to share this
                  information with
                  > >him, and I think wonders if he seduced her. Well, he says
                  something that
                  > >surprises and shames Sergey. and he can't look anyone in the eye
                  either.

                  > He accuses Sergey of betraying him, yeah.
                  >
                  > >Whatever it is, Nina reacts very badly. So badly that the
                  Meister GEM set
                  > >that Nagi has, that no one knew about it, reacts.
                  > >Nina can't believe what she's hearing and cries out, and now the
                  pendant
                  > >spits out it's GEMs. John Smith is now surprised, because he had
                  no idea
                  > >Nagi had the legendary Ultimate Black Diamond,
                  >
                  > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First
                  Lady, "so,
                  > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                  >
                  > And she says, "Coal."
                  >
                  > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                  >
                  > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond,
                  for pity's
                  > sake.

                  ...Dammit now I can't get the song "Coal Miner's Daughter" out of
                  my head...

                  ...retitled of course "Coal Meister's Daughter."

                  <Ducks and covers>

                  Brian Yaple
                  BYapes@...
                  BYapes2001
                • Kat Ehas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006

                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*

                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > >*
                    > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First Lady, "so,
                    > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                    >
                    > And she says, "Coal."
                    >
                    > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                    >
                    > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
                    > sake.

                    While I can totally understand where you would get "coal" form "black
                    diamond", I have another theory on what "black diamond" could refer
                    to, by completely ignoring the chemical composition of diamonds:
                    obsidian. It's black, and glass-like. I could see where people in
                    another time and place, without understand that diamonds are pretty
                    much pure carbon, and obsidian isn't, would look at them and say that
                    obsidian is a black diamond. And that ties into the whole Lord
                    Obsidian thing.

                    Just a thought.

                    kat_chan
                  • Jamie Wells
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006
                      Kat Ehas <kat0211@...> wrote:

                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*

                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > >*
                      > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally ask the First
                      Lady, "so,
                      > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                      >
                      > And she says, "Coal."
                      >
                      > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                      >
                      > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister. Black Diamond, for pity's
                      > sake.

                      While I can totally understand where you would get "coal" form "black
                      diamond", I have another theory on what "black diamond" could refer
                      to, by completely ignoring the chemical composition of diamonds:
                      obsidian.  It's black, and glass-like.  I could see where people in
                      another time and place, without understand that diamonds are pretty
                      much pure carbon, and obsidian isn't, would look at them and say that
                      obsidian is a black diamond.  And that ties into the whole Lord
                      Obsidian thing.

                      Just a thought.

                      kat_chan
                      *looks above*  She's good...

                      Yahoo! Mail
                    • Shane
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006
                        --- Kat Ehas <kat0211@...> wrote:

                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*

                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > >*
                        > > I come in to the bedroom last night and causally
                        > ask the First Lady, "so,
                        > > hey, Black Diamond would be...?"
                        > >
                        > > And she says, "Coal."
                        > >
                        > > And I say, "Yes. I thought so too."
                        > >
                        > > So Nina has the honor of being the Coal Meister.
                        > Black Diamond, for pity's
                        > > sake.
                        >
                        > While I can totally understand where you would get
                        > "coal" form "black
                        > diamond", I have another theory on what "black
                        > diamond" could refer
                        > to, by completely ignoring the chemical composition
                        > of diamonds:
                        > obsidian. It's black, and glass-like. I could see
                        > where people in
                        > another time and place, without understand that
                        > diamonds are pretty
                        > much pure carbon, and obsidian isn't, would look at
                        > them and say that
                        > obsidian is a black diamond. And that ties into the
                        > whole Lord
                        > Obsidian thing.
                        >
                        > Just a thought.
                        >
                        > kat_chan

                        There are such things as black Diamonds. They are very
                        rare but under the right pressure and heat a diamond
                        can form with a black color. I think I may have
                        already posted this to the group. The link below to
                        check out if you want to check it out yourself.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006

                          > There are such things as black Diamonds. They are very
                          > rare but under the right pressure and heat a diamond
                          > can form with a black color. I think I may have
                          > already posted this to the group. The link below to
                          > check out if you want to check it out yourself.
                          > http://www.gemhut.com/diamondb.htm

                          Yes, I saw that link when it was posted before. But I still think
                          that the idea that "black diamond" = obsidian works much better with
                          the motif of MH and MO.

                          kat_chan