Re: I've noticed a new trend lately..

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2 11:51 AM
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

      > That trend is not just in manga I have a few young
      > adult lesbian stories and in most of them at least
      > oneof the characters is at least class president or on
      > the student council. So this steroe type seems
      > prevalent in american literature as well. at least
      > what I've read. Maybe it's thw whole woman in power
      > thing...

      Quite likely. Power has always been an aphrodisiac. And women in
      positions of power are seen as having admirable masculine qualities
      like assertiveness - provided they remain feminine as well....or they
      are seen as being butch, dykey or bitches.

      Since the whole girl "experimenting" phase thing is very trendy at the
      moment it stands to reason that girls, whether Japanese or American,
      or whathaveyou, would find other girls like that appealing and safe as
      figures of akogare/admiration and fantasy.

      My high school Class President was such a girl; smart, attractive,
      good student, pleasant to everyone, good athlete, etc. I wonder if it
      ever occurred to anyone to have a crush on her? :-)

    • aathsani
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2 2:36 PM

        > Quite likely. Power has always been an aphrodisiac. And women in
        > positions of power are seen as having admirable masculine qualities
        > like assertiveness - provided they remain feminine as well....or
        > they
        > are seen as being butch, dykey or bitches.

        Case in point with last week's episode of L word the scene when a very
        outspoken female senator hit on Bette (who is an equally strong
        personality) made for a very sexy moment. <akogare moment>
        MmmMMmmmMmmMmm strong womyn MmMMMmmMm </akogare moment>