I've noticed a new trend lately..

  • mellowrg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      Or maybe it started way back since the days of Onii-sama he and I'm
      slow and just realizing the trend now.

      It seems that if you're a female student council president, you better
      be prepared because yuri comes with the job whether you like it or not.
    • kitten
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        hmm... never gave much thought to that, but you may be right. (& it has been around for a while) i can't seem to remember any anime/manga where that equation [all girls school + student council = yuri] was not true. interesting. can anyone disprove this theory?

        mellowrg <mellowrg@...> wrote:

        Or maybe it started way back since the days of Onii-sama he and I'm
        slow and just realizing the trend now.

        It seems that if you're a female student council president, you better
        be prepared because yuri comes with the job whether you like it or not.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        kitty =^!^=
        BIPOLARIS DELERIUM MENTIA

      • Felicia Oliver

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            That trend is not just in manga I have a few young
            adult lesbian stories and in most of them at least
            oneof the characters is at least class president or on
            the student council. So this steroe type seems
            prevalent in american literature as well. at least
            what I've read. Maybe it's thw whole woman in power
            thing...

            Shane

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

              > That trend is not just in manga I have a few young
              > adult lesbian stories and in most of them at least
              > oneof the characters is at least class president or on
              > the student council. So this steroe type seems
              > prevalent in american literature as well. at least
              > what I've read. Maybe it's thw whole woman in power
              > thing...

              Quite likely. Power has always been an aphrodisiac. And women in
              positions of power are seen as having admirable masculine qualities
              like assertiveness - provided they remain feminine as well....or they
              are seen as being butch, dykey or bitches.

              Since the whole girl "experimenting" phase thing is very trendy at the
              moment it stands to reason that girls, whether Japanese or American,
              or whathaveyou, would find other girls like that appealing and safe as
              figures of akogare/admiration and fantasy.

              My high school Class President was such a girl; smart, attractive,
              good student, pleasant to everyone, good athlete, etc. I wonder if it
              ever occurred to anyone to have a crush on her? :-)

            • aathsani
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006

                > Quite likely. Power has always been an aphrodisiac. And women in
                > positions of power are seen as having admirable masculine qualities
                > like assertiveness - provided they remain feminine as well....or
                > they
                > are seen as being butch, dykey or bitches.

                Case in point with last week's episode of L word the scene when a very
                outspoken female senator hit on Bette (who is an equally strong
                personality) made for a very sexy moment. <akogare moment>
                MmmMMmmmMmmMmm strong womyn MmMMMmmMm </akogare moment>