Kashimashi manga - massive, huge spoilers

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
      Hi all -

      There will be massive, monstrous spoilers here

      I'm not kidding.....

      Really....

      Okay so here's the story.

      Got my February Dengeki Daioh today and guess what this issue of
      Kashimashi is?

      It's the summer sports festival! That's never been done before! Whee!

      But that has nothing to do with the point of this post - this is all
      spoiler space.

      Okay. Here's the point. At the end of the chapter, the alien whotakes
      on the name Sora-sensei tells Hazumu...that...

      ...he'll turn back into a guy in one month.

      Gosh, what a surprise.

      Now the story can go one of two ways - he resets as a guy, Tomari and
      Yasuna will have to deal all over again with the old/new Hazumu and we
      all live in an eternal unresolvable triangle of youthful love, or,
      somehow Hazumu manages to not be turned into a guy and we all live in
      an eternal, unresolvable...etc, etc.

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
        On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:13 PM, atheniag wrote:

        Hi all -

        There will be massive, monstrous spoilers here

        I'm not kidding.....

        Really....

        Okay so here's the story.

        Got my February Dengeki Daioh today and guess what this issue of
        Kashimashi is?

        It's the summer sports festival! That's never been done before! Whee!

        ROTFL!

        But that has nothing to do with the point of this post - this is all
        spoiler space.

        Okay. Here's the point. At the end of the chapter, the alien whotakes
        on the name Sora-sensei tells Hazumu...that...

        ...he'll turn back into a guy in one month.

        Gosh, what a surprise.

        Now the story can go one of two ways - he resets as a guy, Tomari and
        Yasuna will have to deal all over again with the old/new Hazumu and we
        all live in an eternal unresolvable triangle of youthful love, or,
        somehow Hazumu manages to not be turned into a guy and we all live in
        an eternal, unresolvable...etc, etc.

        Zyl and I were speculating that the anime might go in direction #2, since the manga had no ending as of yet. And series can diverge quite a bit when they've caught up with the original manga. I suppose it could still go this way in the anime, depending on how much has been written to date.
        Direction #1 might only be interesting, story wise, if Hazumu also reverts to being an indistinct man shape in Yasuna's eyes. But, that SO won't happen. Hmm, I wonder if Alien guy is just messing with Hazumu's head, it is just a big experiment/petty amusement to him.

        Oh well, and here I thought we had heard the last of Kana Ueda's "boy" voice. ;)

      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006

          > On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:13 PM, atheniag wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all -
          > >

          > > There will be massive, monstrous spoilers here
          > >

          > > I'm not kidding.....
          > >

          > > Really....
          > >

          > > Okay so here's the story.
          > >
          > > Got my February Dengeki Daioh today and guess what this issue of
          > > Kashimashi is?
          > >
          > > It's the summer sports festival! That's never been done before! Whee!
          >
          > ROTFL!
          >

          > > But that has nothing to do with the point of this post - this is all
          > > spoiler space.
          > >
          > > Okay. Here's the point. At the end of the chapter, the alien whotakes
          > > on the name Sora-sensei tells Hazumu...that...
          > >

          > > ...he'll turn back into a guy in one month.
          > >

          > > Gosh, what a surprise.
          > >
          > > Now the story can go one of two ways - he resets as a guy, Tomari and
          > > Yasuna will have to deal all over again with the old/new Hazumu and we
          > > all live in an eternal unresolvable triangle of youthful love, or,
          > > somehow Hazumu manages to not be turned into a guy and we all live in
          > > an eternal, unresolvable...etc, etc.

          LOL

          I agree that it can only end in two ways, but I have a different scenario

          1) Hazumu turns back into a boy. Yasuna will somehow overcome her
          weird conditioned disinterest in boys and continue to love him.

          2) Hazumu stays a girl. Tomari will somehow accept it as it is and
          continue to love her.

          So... root for Tomari?
        • Ashley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
            mellowrg wrote:

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:13 PM, atheniag wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi all -
            > > >

            > > > There will be massive, monstrous spoilers here
            > > >

            > > > I'm not kidding.....
            > > >

            > > > Really....
            > > >

            > > > Okay so here's the story.
            > > >
            > > > Got my February Dengeki Daioh today and guess what this issue of
            > > > Kashimashi is?
            > > >
            > > > It's the summer sports festival! That's never been done before! Whee!
            > >
            > > ROTFL!
            > >

            > > > But that has nothing to do with the point of this post - this is all
            > > > spoiler space.
            > > >

            > So... root for Tomari?

            duh. :P

            lol. I so hope Hazumu stays female, its just more interesting like that,
            plus it makes it real(ish) yuri. :3

            Ashley
          • Zyl
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2006
              Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
[...]

              The manga doesn't have that high a degree of logical consistency (LOL) so extrapolation and speculation based on what we already know willl always be shaky but here goes anyway:

              Sora Hitomi is telling the truth i.e. Hazumu will turn back into a boy. Nooooo!!!  (I'm pissed off from impending destruction of whatever was offered in the yuri story angle but there's apparently this whole group of Hazumu fans who'll be upset as well: http://blog.livedoor.jp/inthedark/archives/50381044.html - just imagine the fandom backlash!) However this might make some sense since Sora's observation of Hazumu is based on (1) welfare and follow-up after the harm done by Janpuu's crashlanding; (2) discovering about love because Sora's race has given up emotions to prevent war among themselves but is dying out as a result of this. So is Sora's project "love" or "reproduction" as he seems to assume that the latter is predicated on the former. Thus it makes some sense for Hazumu to turn back into a boy if Sora also wants to observe pairing and then reproduction.

              HOWEVER in the first volume when Hazumu tells Sora that she can't love Yasuna (or Tomari) because she is now a girl, Sora responds by asking Hazumu if loving a person with the same sex is not allowed on Earth. Given how Hazumu was reconstituted from the impact, it's not unreasonable that Sora's technology can facilitate same-sex-pair reproduction and that same-sex partnerships are no impediment to alien reproduction. (Aside: There's an example of this in William Gibson's Mona Lisa Overdrive where one of the minor characters, a lady mercenary, is taking a dangerous job in order to pay for her baby, created by splicing and then recombining her and her lesbian lover's DNA and then borne and birthed by her lover. Great line when she wistfully says, "She's really beautiful." And the (male) protagonist asks, "Your girl?" And she replies, "My daughter.") Sooooo it could be that Sora is deceiving Hazumu with the intent of forcing her the pace of her relationships with Yasuna and Tomari. Ceteris paribus (assuming Yasuna's eye sight condition remains), this would be horribly unfair to Yasuna. So the other theory is that Hazumu will remain a girl.

              In any case, it's not like we weren't fearing the worst from the start. But hope springs eternal. ^_-

              Meet your soulmate!
              Yahoo! Asia presents Meetic - where millions of singles gather
            • Chikane Himemiya
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2006
                I remember downloading the first manga volume, is there a downloadable second volume?

                Zyl <thoelzyl@...> wrote:
                Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
[...]

                "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."

              • Zyl
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2006
                  Chikane Himemiya <chikane_himiko@...> wrote:
                  I remember downloading the first manga volume, is there a downloadable second volume?
                  http://www.manganews.net/seriesinfo.php?id=3410

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!
                • Chikane Himemiya