Mai Otome 16 SPOILERIFFIC

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
      Woah. That sound you hear is fanboys and fangirls drooling in anticipation for last the ten episodes. And I include myself in that. This show makes me stupidly happy. ;)

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      If the last 10 episodes of this show are at least on par with the first 16 then Mai Otome will definitely end up high on my favorite rankings. If it holds up, it will end up being a much, much better series than Mai-Hime, overall. I think I've said this before, so sorry if I sound like a broken record.

      Anyway, first things first. Shizuru returns to Guarderobe and the bastards don't give us a ShizNat reunion scene. We don't get to see them together until 3/4s  through episode. Damn them!!

      We get a wonderfully spoileriffic new OP, it's gotta good beat and I can dance to it. I give it a 93 Danny. ;)  The new OP reminds me, and a lot of other people actually, of the Gundam Seed OPs, in style and hints of what's to come, which isn't a surprise considering it's SUNRISE. Mashiro and Arika as a Master/Meister pair, a huge army of Slaves that only Peter Jackson could love. A smug Nagi on his throne with John Smith behind him, the Ebil/Dark Otome Tomoe standing with very female looking cyborgs/Slaves?, a very dead Rena, a determined Sergey superimposed over a very dead Rena, a shooting star, an exodus? featuring Windbloom citzens, Mashiro, Rad holding Mikoto, Spiky Haired kid and Dyne, something dematerializing/green sparkling by Fumi's shrine, Nina materializing her Meister robe, the Midori Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2 unknown, Natsuki, Shizuru, and Spidergirl, uh, I mean Nao, yes, I said Nao) , Mai in her meister robe and not silhouetted, Mai kicking Slave ass, Rena kicking Slave ass, Rena morphing into Arika, Arika kicking ass, Arika landing next to an approving Haruka, Arika and Nina clashing in their Meister robes, and cue the sponsors.
      But, wait! There's more, here comes a detailed summary.

      At the end of last episode we found our non-titular hero Arika facing off against random Coral #34 for the honor of battling with the top two Pearls in this year's graduation ceremony. This episode starts with Arika defeating Tomoe to take the second spot behind Nina. Everyone cheers Arika's win, while Tomoe deals with her loss in shock and perhaps a little pain. Yukariko congratulates them, while Natsuki looks on and Miss Maria informs them of what's next. The graduation ceremony will also coincide with the unveiling of Mashiro's rebuilt castle. Cut to scene of a happy Mashiro staring at her crayon drawing as if it were the master blueprint, and it probably was. More scenes of congratulatory adulation from all the Corals except Tomoe, who is still in shock. Miss Maria approaches her, and lays out what's expected of her, I imagine. Tomoe responds as the good girl, but as Miss Maria leaves, instead of her normal wicked/creepy smile, we see a quivering lip, quivering eyes and a slightly malevolent sidelong glance toward Arika.
      Cut to Arika siting on a bench, pulling out a stack of letters (from Ojii-sama?) Arika reaffirms her resolve. Cut to a worried Sergey, after being told by Nina that Arika beat all her challengers. Nina notices the look. Sergey and Nina discuss the situation, Nina appears to have reservations, since it is Arika after all. Sergey tells her to do her best, as Nagi is expecting great things from her. Cut to an external shot and pan over the city of Windbloom, cue the ominous music, fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry receiving the black letters, including someone at Windbloom castle, and someone wearing an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about Tomoe, Erstin, and the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe the frontrunner, Irina the dark horse, though most people are thinking Erstin, as you will see.)
      Cue OP
      Cut to Yukariko addressing everyone during their embroidery class probably about the upcoming ceremonies, meanwhile Arika is singulary focused on her needlepoint. So much so that she's still at it after class. Nina tells her to come along, as they have to practice together for the upcoming battle, but it takes Erstin to snap her out of it. Arika protectively clutches her embroidery, will become important later. Nina yells again at Arika. Cut to Erstin and Irina seeing Nina and Arika off, and discussing upcoming events. Cut to Nina and Arika training, cut to Chie and Tomoe overlooking them. Chie and Tomoe start off discussing Arika and Nina's training, but Chie subtly infers that Tomoe should knock off trying to sabotage Arika, even invoking "Shizuru Onee-sama wouldn't like it" or something and Miya's name, and Tomoe is absolutely sure she has no idea what Chie is talking about. Cut to Erstin bringing snacks for Nina and Arika and overhearing the conversation. Erstin runs away, and Chie walks away after staring at Tomoe for a bit.
      Cut to Arika, Nina and Erstin enjoying Erstin's generosity. Erstin looks a bit troubled and starts to say something, but Arika interrupts, with an encouragement for Erstin, and the conversation goes in completely different direction. Nina is clearly more at ease with Arika these days, she asks Erstin what she was going to say before, and Erstin says don't worry about it. Bad Erstin, don't keep those things to yourself.
      Cut to Nagi having an audience with Midori and Rad. Nagi is making some sort of offer, but it appears he is rebuffed, cut to a night shot, Rad and Midori talking by a campfire.  Couldn't really pick up anything here.
      Cut to Fumi's shrine, then interior of same, and we get a glimpse of a new techno-organic shape, and Yohko operating it. It appears to related to the creation of GEMs, Yohko has flashbacks of her Aswald friend's recent appearances and sighs. She picks up a green glowing vial and.
      Cut to Natsuki's office, Yohko and Natsuki talk about Fumi spirit? and the system in general. Cut to glowing green vial with Mia's name attached. Prepping the GEM for use with a new student perhaps?More Yohko voice over, Natsuki responds, and we get another scene of Mashiro doing paperwork, but she perks up when she looks at her crayon drawing.
      Cut back to weird organic GEM creation machine, with Miss Maria speaking in front of all the graduating Pearls. She is about to make an announcement. Last shot is of Nao smirking.
      Cut to Yayoi rushing into class excitedly with big news: Further cramping her style, Nao has been chosen to become a Pillar. Shiho will become Florence's new Otome. Here there is some talk about Akane and Kazuya, not sure if they're saying this eases tensions or not. Chie gets to be Haruka's second. Finally something gets mentioned about Shizuru and one of her classmates who's name I forget congratulates Arika, and naturally sets off Tomoe.
      After Nina and Arika run off for their extra practice, Irina has a book that Yohko lent her and is going to return it, but Tomoe offers to return it instead. Erstin is suspicious, but again says nothing. Arika and Nina run into Nao and congratulate her, but Nao is annoyed at the whole thing, since she was never consulted. She mouths off about Fumi, just as Miss Maria makes her presence known. Nina and Arika run off to leave Nao to face the stern rebuke and probably a lecture from Miss Maria alone.

      Cut to Yohko's darkened office, where Tomoe returns the book that Irina had borrowed, Human Medical Engineering, obviously bedtime reading for Irina. Tomoe, naturally discovers the vial with Miya's name on it, and in morbid curiosity pours a little out to see what happens: it's apparently highly acidic, and our evil girl's creepy smile returns.

      Eyecatch, whew.

      Next we see Erstin walking along and Yohko comes running up asking if she's seen Irina. Erstin asks what's up and Yohko, explains that the vial is missing, though it comes in a voiceover, as Erstin runs to the practice grounds where she was going to meet up with Arika and Nina with her delicious sandwiches. Suspicious Tomoe flashbacks follow, finally Erstin gets to the spot, scans, sees Arika and Nina hanging about by a wall, and sees Tomoe standing above them. Tomoe approaches the edge, vial in hand, and position herself above Arika. Erstin dashes toward Arika calling out her name. Arika sees her but is unaware of the danger lurking above her, literally, we treated to worm eye view here. Tomoe drops the vial containing the acid and Miya's old GEM, (girl is gone but Tomoe's still using her to do her dirty work.) Erstin pushes Arika out of the way, just in time, but her leg is hurt when the vial breaks and some acid splashes on her. Erstin looks up and SEES Tomoe before she runs away, and STILL SAYS NOTHING!!! Girl, what is your major malfunction?! Yohko and Irina arrive and treat Erstin.

      Cut to Arika writing Ojii-sama a letter, filling us in on the aftermath. Everybody is concerned for Erstin, even Tomoe is there, in the back, lurking out of the way, looking almost remorseful. Erstin meets her gaze, but Tomoe looks away. Cut to a angry Chie leaning in the doorway, staring, presumably, at Tomoe.

      Erstin catches Arika looking at her and suggests that the go for a walk, cut to night scene on a bench. They talk about how the nanomachines are doing their thing and she won't be Gimpy Erstin for long, Erstin again thinks about saying something, but then they hear singing. Nina is by the gazebo singing the Harmonium song, that everybody knows. As she winds down, Erstin and Arika start up the other verse. We get treated to another Nina flashback, where she is holding a gun at Sergey, and he is extending his hand, blood dripping down his forehead. They start to head back, start talking and Arika tickles Nina which earns a rebuke and they scuffle and land in the grass clearly having the time of the lives. They spread out on the grass and Nina finds Arika's embroidery. Nina correctly deduces that it's probably for Oji-sama, but Arika's Engrish sucks; it says: With Sanks.  More teasing and they end with thanking Erstin for being so supportive. Erstin blushes and humbles herself.  And Arika says that the 3 of them should promise to become Meister together, Nina readily agrees, and Erstin does as well, if a bit reluctantly.

      Cut to Arika's voiceover and Sergey reading her letter, and looking at the enclosed hankerchief with the corrected embroidery. It now says "With Thanks"

      Cut to night shot of Windbloom castle and a tarp covered device of some sort being wielded on the grounds, overseen by the guy who got the Black Letter in the montage.

      Next day, celebrations begin early. Cut to Natsuki's office and everyone is happy that the weather is nice and it's shaping up to be a good day. Natsuki thanks Miss Maria and Yukariko and Shizuru, who is back, and she gives a small smile. (That's it ShizNat fans, that's all we get. Bastards.)

      Cut to underneath the stadium Sergey is giving Nina some last words of encouragement. Nina reiterates that she fights for his sake, and they share a hug, just as Arika walks by. She does a doubletake, and is spotted by Sergey and Nina. Almost at once they are back to bickering at one another. Arika asserts that she fights for the sake of her Oji-sama and Sergey responds with a statement agreeing, but sets Arika off. Nina notices the interaction and looks at Sergey quizzically. Arika runs down the hall, clearly upset.

      Cut to Chie and Shiho and Nina and Arika standing in front of Shizuru, Natsuki, Mashiro and Mikoto getting last minute instructions from Natsuki. Mashiro says good luck to everyone and has extra words for her Otome Arika.

      Cut to rising pillars, Arika seems to be looking for someone, Shiho tries to get some last minute maki-maki in, but Chie bops her on the head. Everyone seems to be excited and ready to cheer everyone on, except Tomoe. Mashiro makes a speech, and unveils her new castle, which looks nothing like her drawing, imagine that. But, there's clearly something wrong as the symbol rises and John Smith says it's time to begin. And what do you know, the piece in question turns out to be a weapon that they fire and strike a mountain. Everyone is shocked, and then the Slaves started flying in and

      Cue ED. No new ED unfortunately, and really sounds incongruous when it kicks in.

      Next Up: When Schwarz attacks, lots of Slaves. Property destruction. Aswald walking in Guarderobe. Shizuru and Natsuki making a stand in front of Fumi's shrine. And an evacuation perhaps. Even though we see her in her robe in the new OP, next episode is supposedly when Natsuki materializes.

      Comments:

      All the speculation from this point forward will reference the new OP first, before anything in the actual episodes, followed by even more comparisons to Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny.

      I'm reserving judgment on Natsuki's robe until after I've seen her in it next episode. Who ever came up with Nao's needs to be smacked. Where's Heidi Klum, Michael Kors and Nina Gaston when you need them. "You're OUT!"  Nina's robe, OTOH totally rocks.

      If Yukariko and Miss Maria  and Mai aren't pillars, what the heck are they? And who are the new girls, and why is the one showing a whole lot more skin than the others? Don't answer that, it was rhetorical.

      Tomoe needs to grow a lot to become a good villainess, right now she's a little too petty, a little too small time, perhaps she should be tutored by Asuka from Devil Lady.

      <shakes head> Erstin, Erstin, Erstin. Why are they setting you up? What did you do to anyone? That's right, nothing. Everybody loves Erstin, so naturally when they want to rip out the audience's heart . . . .

      If I wasn't before, I'm officially in full fanboy mode for this show. I'm positively giddy with excitement. I so hope they don't let me down.

      Speaking of full fanboy mode, part 2 of my Mai Otome rambling essay went up today. For those interested, it's here: http://albikal.blogspot.com/2006/01/mai-otome-rambling-essay-pt-2.html

      More later.

      -==-

      Serge

      http://ximatl.blogspot.com

      http://albikal.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 28, 2006

        > Woah. That sound you hear is fanboys and fangirls drooling in
        > anticipation for last the ten episodes. And I include myself in
        that.
        > This show makes me stupidly happy. ;)
        >

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        >
        > If the last 10 episodes of this show are at least on par with the
        > first 16 then Mai Otome will definitely end up high on my favorite
        > rankings. If it holds up, it will end up being a much, much better
        > series than Mai-Hime, overall. I think I've said this before, so
        > sorry if I sound like a broken record.

        OTOH, if the end is as stinky as MH, we should all just give up anime
        forever? LOL

        > by Fumi's shrine, Nina materializing her Meister robe, the Midori
        > Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2 unknown, Natsuki,

        Yay! Natsuki materialized. woot I'm glad we see it at least in the
        opening

        > Everyone cheers Arika's win, while Tomoe deals with her loss in
        shock
        > and perhaps a little pain.

        Shock, pain and a psychotic obseesive need for revenge. Get it right.
        >cue the ominous
        > music, fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry receiving the
        black
        > letters, including someone at Windbloom castle, and someone wearing
        > an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about Tomoe, Erstin, and
        > the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe the frontrunner,
        > Irina the dark horse, though most people are thinking Erstin, as you
        > will see.)

        My money's on Tomoe, as per the opening sequence

        > Tomoe needs to grow a lot to become a good villainess, right now
        > she's a little too petty, a little too small time, perhaps she
        should
        > be tutored by Asuka from Devil Lady.

        Now THERE was a woman with dreams.

        Here's my random pronouncement of the day:

        Nina is Rena's daughter
        Arika is Mai's daughter
        Mashiro is too the real princess

        and Sergey wasn't in love with Rena - he was the one who killed her.

      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 28, 2006
          .

          > Here's my random pronouncement of the day:
          >
          > Nina is Rena's daughter
          > Arika is Mai's daughter
          > Mashiro is too the real princess
          >
          > and Sergey wasn't in love with Rena - he was the one who killed her.

          Good theory on Sergei. You open up a new angle here. Hmm..

          However, I'm don't see Mai being Arika's parent; assuming so, Mai is
          no longer an Otome, and unless they found a way to bypass the
          requirement to stay celibate (unlikely even for Sunrise) I don't think so.

          I stay with my theory that Arika is an articiial construct made out of
          nanomachines. An artificial being like Alyssa, which in turn would
          explain her connection to Miyu and why her hair glows in Miyu vision.
        • Aaron the PK
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 30, 2006
            > an
            > exodus? featuring Windbloom citzens, Mashiro, Rad
            > holding Mikoto,
            > Spiky Haired kid and Dyne,

            I still think that Spikey Haired Kid (which is the
            street urchin from episode 11 and the kid that cried
            when the old woman died last episode. The kid's
            gender is ambiguous at this point and her hair seems
            too dark to be Alyssa, but the kid probably hasn't had
            a bath in years and her hair is dirty.

            And considering the events at the end of this episode,
            it seems very likely that they are in exodus.

            > the Midori
            > Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2
            > unknown, Natsuki,
            > Shizuru, and Spidergirl, uh, I mean Nao, yes, I said
            > Nao)

            You have no idea how happy I am that Nao became a
            pillar. This probably means she's even more powerful
            now and will get to kick more ass.

            > At the end of last episode we found our non-titular
            > hero Arika facing
            > off against random Coral #34 for the honor of
            > battling with the top
            > two Pearls in this year's graduation ceremony. This
            > episode starts
            > with Arika defeating Tomoe to take the second spot
            > behind Nina.

            I was disappointed that we only saw two seconds of
            Arika kicking Tomoe's sorry behind.

            > Cut to scene of a happy Mashiro staring at
            > her crayon drawing
            > as if it were the master blueprint, and it probably
            > was.

            That line cracked me up. Knowing Mashiro, yes, I'm
            pretty sure it was her master blueprint.

            > fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry
            > receiving the black
            > letters, including someone at Windbloom castle, and
            > someone wearing
            > an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about
            > Tomoe, Erstin, and
            > the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe the
            > frontrunner,
            > Irina the dark horse, though most people are
            > thinking Erstin, as you
            > will see.)

            Erstin seems a very likely candidate. I don't think
            it's Tomoe though as that would almost be too obvious.
            She probably joins the Black Letter Group on her own
            to get revenge on Arika (and pretty much everyone
            else). Erstin would make the most sense precisey
            because she is so close to Arika and Nina. The other
            two possible suspects in my mind are Irina and Yayoi,
            but Erstin seems the most likely.

            Another possibility is that Arika was the recipient.
            This would especially make sense if Arika is an
            articifial being or experiment planted by the Black
            Letter group as you have suggested.

            > Cut to Yayoi rushing into class excitedly with big
            > news: Further
            > cramping her style, Nao has been chosen to become a
            > Pillar.

            And there was much rejoicing.

            > Erstin looks up and SEES Tomoe before she runs away,
            > and STILL SAYS
            > NOTHING!!! Girl, what is your major malfunction?!

            I have two possible explanations for this. First,
            this could be a result of her getting the Black
            Letter. The exact role of the Black Letters is
            unclear at this point. The natural assumption is that
            they are sent to sleeper agents telling them its time
            to do their job.

            But I don't think it's that simple. I suspect that
            the Black Letters actually subjugate the will of the
            recipient and force them to carry out Mr. Smith's
            will. Everytime someone has recieved a Black Letter,
            we only see the person's hands opening the letter or
            holding it. I don't think we have ever seen their
            faces as they open it. There is probably a reason for
            this. If your mind is essentially being programmed to
            do something against your will, I'd imagine your face
            would have some interesting expressions (namely of
            suprise and possibly pain). It would make sense for
            them to hide this in order for viewers to keep the
            assumption that the recipients are sleeper agents. If
            someones mind was programmed, they may well act a bit
            odd afterwards. If Esrtin got the Black Letter, she
            could be acting a bit irrational because of it.

            My second theory is this. Erstin and Tomoe are both
            heavily implied lesbians. What if the two of them had
            a relationship in the past? That could explain
            Erstin's unwillingness to finger Tomoe and Tomoe's
            suggested remorse, which you mention here:

            > Tomoe is there, in
            > the back, lurking out of the way, looking almost
            > remorseful. Erstin
            > meets her gaze, but Tomoe looks away.

            > Nina is by the gazebo singing the Harmonium
            > song, that
            > everybody knows. As she winds down, Erstin and Arika
            > start up the
            > other verse.

            The Harmonium only needed three "Keys" right? Didn't
            Mashiro also know part of the song? That would make
            four people. This would certainly add to you're
            theory that Arika is a plant by the Black Letter Gang.

            > We get treated to another Nina
            > flashback, where she is
            > holding a gun at Sergey, and he is extending his
            > hand, blood dripping
            > down his forehead.

            Which explains Sergei's nifty little scar. Here's
            some food for thought: What if Nina saw Sergei kill
            Rena (or someone else) and then tried to shoot him in
            fear?

            > <shakes head> Erstin, Erstin, Erstin. Why are they
            > setting you up?
            > What did you do to anyone? That's right, nothing.
            > Everybody loves
            > Erstin, so naturally when they want to rip out the
            > audience's
            > heart . . . .

            Which is exactly why she would be chosen.

            > If I wasn't before, I'm officially in full fanboy
            > mode for this show.
            > I'm positively giddy with excitement. I so hope they
            > don't let me down.

            Initially, I found Mai Otome to be all right, but it
            wasn't looking to be as good as HiME. My opinion has
            changed in recent episodes (I suspected it would get
            better and it has) and I think it may end up being as
            good as HiME. It would really have to pull some
            amazing stuff for be to call it "better than HiME",
            but if it keeps things up it will certainly be close.
            I just hope we don't get another stupid Reset Ending.
            I could tolerate it for HiME since the rest of the
            series was awesome, but if Otome gets one too... that
            would just be stupid.

            > Speaking of full fanboy mode, part 2 of my Mai Otome
            > rambling essay
            > went up today. For those interested, it's here:
            > http://

            albikal.blogspot.com/2006/01/mai-otome-rambling-essay-pt-2.html

            > More later.
            >
            > -==-
            > Serge
            > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
            > http://albikal.blogspot.com

            Awesome. I'll have to go read that in a bit. Thanks
            for the awesome summary (yet again)!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 30, 2006

              On Jan 28, 2006, at 7:47 PM, atheniag wrote:

[...]

              And do what? Read? Pshaw.

              by Fumi's shrine, Nina materializing her Meister robe, the Midori
              Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2 unknown, Natsuki,

              Yay! Natsuki materialized. woot I'm glad we see it at least in the
              opening

              Little birds tell me, we'll get to see the whole deal in 17.

              Everyone cheers Arika's win, while Tomoe deals with her loss in
              shock
              and perhaps a little pain.

              Shock, pain and a psychotic obseesive need for revenge. Get it right.

              Oh right. Forgot. Sorry. Though given the outfits, it might be more accurate to say psychotic, obsessive need for super villain revenge.

              cue the ominous
              music, fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry receiving the
              black
              letters, including someone at Windbloom castle, and someone wearing
              an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about Tomoe, Erstin, and
              the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe the frontrunner,
              Irina the dark horse, though most people are thinking Erstin, as you
              will see.)

              My money's on Tomoe, as per the opening sequence

              Unfortunately, Vegas has her at 5/2 so she's not a big money maker.

              Tomoe needs to grow a lot to become a good villainess, right now
              she's a little too petty, a little too small time, perhaps she
              should
              be tutored by Asuka from Devil Lady.

              Now THERE was a woman with dreams.

              Amen.

              Here's my random pronouncement of the day:

              Nina is Rena's daughter

              Maybe.

              Arika is Mai's daughter

              The only problem with this are the ages. If we presume that Natsuki is roughly the same age as Sergey,  roughly 25, and I think she is, or a little younger, then Natsuki, and by extension Mai, would have been about 10 when Arika was born. I'm 95% sure that's not a realistic possibility for girls that age.

              Mashiro is too the real princess

              I agree.

              and Sergey wasn't in love with Rena - he was the one who killed her.

              Only if Rena survived the encounter at Windbloom 14 years ago, when Sergey was about 10.

            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 30, 2006

                On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:11 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                *
                *
                *
                *
                *
                *
                *

                *
                *
                *
                *
                *
                *
                *
                .

                Here's my random pronouncement of the day:

                Nina is Rena's daughter
                Arika is Mai's daughter
                Mashiro is too the real princess

                and Sergey wasn't in love with Rena - he was the one who killed her.

                Good theory on Sergei. You open up a new angle here. Hmm..

                However, I'm don't see Mai being Arika's parent; assuming so, Mai is
                no longer an Otome, and unless they found a way to bypass the
                requirement to stay celibate (unlikely even for Sunrise) I don't think so.

                I think this is a legitimate possibility. I think Mai will come back as a new type of Otome, though not a Newtype or newhalf. Part of the reason she has been gone for so long is that she's been trying to find a way to have her cake and eat it too. She comes back and will attempt to liberate the Otomes from the Dobson's choice of love or dreams.

              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 30, 2006
                  On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Aaron the PK wrote:

                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *

                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  an
                  exodus? featuring Windbloom citzens, Mashiro, Rad
                  holding Mikoto,
                  Spiky Haired kid and Dyne,

                  I still think that Spikey Haired Kid (which is the
                  street urchin from episode 11 and the kid that cried
                  when the old woman died last episode.  The kid's
                  gender is ambiguous at this point and her hair seems
                  too dark to be Alyssa, but the kid probably hasn't had
                  a bath in years and her hair is dirty.

                  The official site names her as Mimi, but the profile is pretty sparse, other than she's voiced by Mikoto's seiyuu.

                  And considering the events at the end of this episode,
                  it seems very likely that they are in exodus.

                  Actually, it will be more of an exile than an exodus if the future ep spoilers are accurate.

                  the Midori
                  Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2
                  unknown, Natsuki,
                  Shizuru, and Spidergirl, uh, I mean Nao, yes, I said
                  Nao)

                  You have no idea how happy I am that Nao became a
                  pillar.  This probably means she's even more powerful
                  now and will get to kick more ass.

                  In a hideous, hideous outfit. The first ass she should kick is the costumer designer's.

                  fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry
                  receiving the black
                  letters, including someone at Windbloom castle, and
                  someone wearing
                  an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about
                  Tomoe, Erstin, and
                  the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe the
                  frontrunner,
                  Irina the dark horse, though most people are
                  thinking Erstin, as you
                  will see.)

                  Erstin seems a very likely candidate.  I don't think
                  it's Tomoe though as that would almost be too obvious.

                  Just because it's obvious doesn't mean that they won't go there. Given how Tomoe's been developed, it just seems natural for her to go that way, and the black letter is just recognition that she has the goods Smith is looking for, though I think she needs to expand her vision. She really should become a Go Nagai style villianess at this point. I would like her at lot more if she did.

                  Erstin would make the most sense precisey
                  because she is so close to Arika and Nina.  The other
                  two possible suspects in my mind are Irina and Yayoi,
                  but Erstin seems the most likely.

                  I just don't buy Erstin as a villain of any sort. I don't think she has it in her.  I can see Irina being seduced by the offer of technology, but even still, Tomoe is still the best candidate, given all the development they've given her in that direction.

                  Another possibility is that Arika was the recipient.
                  This would especially make sense if Arika is an
                  articifial being or experiment planted by the Black
                  Letter group as you have suggested.

                  Not my theory, that one is MellowRG's.

                  I have two possible explanations for this.  First,
                  this could be a result of her getting the Black
                  Letter.  The exact role of the Black Letters is
                  unclear at this point.  The natural assumption is that
                  they are sent to sleeper agents telling them its time
                  to do their job.

                  But I don't think it's that simple.  I suspect that
                  the Black Letters actually subjugate the will of the
                  recipient and force them to carry out Mr. Smith's
                  will.  Everytime someone has recieved a Black Letter,
                  we only see the person's hands opening the letter or
                  holding it.  I don't think we have ever seen their
                  faces as they open it.

                  Episode 7 when Arika first started working construction. The foreman delivered an envelope containing a black letter to a guy pushing a wheelbarrow. He opened it, saw what was inside, cut to his surprised reaction and he hurried off so as to not alert the foreman what was in his letter.  That was the only time we saw a reaction shot, and he was one of the standard SLAVE master, as it were, so I think they are initially sleeper agents, but if they use a crystal, we know that the power in the crystal tends to consume them, especially the new ones.

                  My second theory is this.  Erstin and Tomoe are both
                  heavily implied lesbians.  What if the two of them had
                  a relationship in the past?

                  I don't think these two hooked up before. If anything, Erstin might recognize a kindred spirit and be hesitant about that, but, as Zyl's mum said, the reason is probably that it's still too early to catch Tomoe as the villain. ;)

                  Nina is by the gazebo singing the Harmonium
                  song, that
                  everybody knows. As she winds down, Erstin and Arika
                  start up the
                  other verse.

                  The Harmonium only needed three "Keys" right?

                  The hints: the three circles, only two lighted, Nina, Mashiro and Arika knowing 3 different verses to the same song, seem to suggest that the Harmonium requires 3 people, but we don't know for sure yet.

                  Didn't
                  Mashiro also know part of the song?

                  Yes, she knows an entirely different verse from Nina and Arika. Erstin only learned the verse that Arika knows.

                  That would make
                  four people.  This would certainly add to you're
                  theory that Arika is a plant by the Black Letter Gang.

                  Again, that's all MellowRG's baby.

                  We get treated to another Nina
                  flashback, where she is
                  holding a gun at Sergey, and he is extending his
                  hand, blood dripping
                  down his forehead.

                  Which explains Sergei's nifty little scar.

                  Possibly. Nina was shakily holding a gun, while Sergey was extending his hand and presumably trying show her that he's safe, and there's nothing to fear. But, we still don't how he got it, and it doesn't look like the type of wound a grazing bullet might make.

                  Here's
                  some food for thought:  What if Nina saw Sergei kill
                  Rena (or someone else) and then tried to shoot him in
                  fear?

                  I think Rena was dead long before Sergey came of age.

                  It would really have to pull some
                  amazing stuff for be to call it "better than HiME",
                  but if it keeps things up it will certainly be close.

                  If we don't get a reset, then it automatically places a notch higher.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 31, 2006

                    > On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:11 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *

                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *
                    > *

                    > I think this is a legitimate possibility. I think Mai will come back
                    > as a new type of Otome, though not a Newtype or newhalf. Part of the
                    > reason she has been gone for so long is that she's been trying to
                    > find a way to have her cake and eat it too. She comes back and will
                    > attempt to liberate the Otomes from the Dobson's choice of love or
                    > dreams.
                    >
                    > -==-
                    > Serge
                    > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                    > http://albikal.blogspot.com

                    Perhaps, but to me "love" consists more of just being able to have
                    sex; and I think doing the above would send the wrong context.

                    Newhalf.. LOL. When will we ever see that in a mainstream anime.

                    Judging from the OP, Mai is Kamen Rider now obviously. She didn't
                    choose love. She didn't choose dreams. She chose.. JUSTICE!
                  • mellowrg
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 31, 2006

                      > On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Aaron the PK wrote:
                      >
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *

                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > *
                      > That would make
                      > four people. This would certainly add to you're
                      > theory that Arika is a plant by the Black Letter Gang.

                      >Again, that's all MellowRG's baby.

                      I still have a feeling the Arika is a construct, but I'm not too sure
                      about her creators. And I pegged her as Aswad, not Schwarz, and so far
                      everything pointing her to be of Aswad says "no"

                      Her being a self unaware creattion of Schwarz has more chance, though.
                      We already see what appears to be production type Otomes behind Tomoe.
                      Maybe Arika is the prototype.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 31, 2006
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:11 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *

                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        >

                        > > I think this is a legitimate possibility. I think Mai will come back
                        > > as a new type of Otome, though not a Newtype or newhalf. Part of the
                        > > reason she has been gone for so long is that she's been trying to
                        > > find a way to have her cake and eat it too. She comes back and will
                        > > attempt to liberate the Otomes from the Dobson's choice of love or
                        > > dreams.
                        > >
                        > > -==-
                        > > Serge
                        > > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                        > > http://albikal.blogspot.com
                        > >

                        > Perhaps, but to me "love" consists more of just being able to have
                        > sex; and I think doing the above would send the wrong context.
                        >
                        > Newhalf.. LOL. When will we ever see that in a mainstream anime.
                        >
                        > Judging from the OP, Mai is Kamen Rider now obviously. She didn't
                        > choose love. She didn't choose dreams. She chose.. JUSTICE!

                        Given the LFB quotient of MH and MO, I think it's more likely that
                        she's Kekkou Kamen. lol

                      • mellowrg
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 31, 2006

                          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:11 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *

                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > >

                          > > Judging from the OP, Mai is Kamen Rider now obviously. She didn't
                          > > choose love. She didn't choose dreams. She chose.. JUSTICE!
                          > >

                          > Given the LFB quotient of MH and MO, I think it's more likely that
                          > she's Kekkou Kamen. lol

                          Red scarf + swirly belt + kick fetish tells me that she's closer to
                          Kamen Rider. Maybe I'll change my opinion when she starts suffocating
                          people with her crotch.

                          Yes, I am totally ruining your fun.
                        • Aaron the PK
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 31, 2006
                            --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                            > On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Aaron the PK wrote:
                            >
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *

                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > *
                            > >> an
                            > >> exodus? featuring Windbloom citzens, Mashiro, Rad
                            > >> holding Mikoto,
                            > >> Spiky Haired kid and Dyne,
                            > >
                            > > I still think that Spikey Haired Kid (which is the
                            > > street urchin from episode 11 and the kid that
                            > cried
                            > > when the old woman died last episode. The kid's
                            > > gender is ambiguous at this point and her hair
                            > seems
                            > > too dark to be Alyssa, but the kid probably hasn't
                            > had
                            > > a bath in years and her hair is dirty.
                            >
                            > The official site names her as Mimi, but the profile
                            > is pretty
                            > sparse, other than she's voiced by Mikoto's seiyuu.

                            Something about her face looked like Alyssa's. But if
                            she's played by Mikoto's VA, that could mean something
                            significant. Even though she isn't Alyssa, I was
                            correct that she would return later and have some
                            significance, at least. I still think that
                            locket/pendant that she tried to steal from Nina had
                            some significance simply because Sergei's informer
                            found it and knew it was Sergei's.

                            > > And considering the events at the end of this
                            > episode,
                            > > it seems very likely that they are in exodus.
                            >
                            > Actually, it will be more of an exile than an exodus
                            > if the future ep
                            > spoilers are accurate.

                            Not much of a difference.

                            > >> the Midori
                            > >> Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2
                            > >> unknown, Natsuki,
                            > >> Shizuru, and Spidergirl, uh, I mean Nao, yes, I
                            > said
                            > >> Nao)
                            > >
                            > > You have no idea how happy I am that Nao became a
                            > > pillar. This probably means she's even more
                            > powerful
                            > > now and will get to kick more ass.
                            >
                            > In a hideous, hideous outfit. The first ass she
                            > should kick is the
                            > costumer designer's.

                            I didn't pay much attention to her outfit. The two
                            mystery girl's outfits drew my attention more. I was
                            just happy that Nao was one of the Pillars.

                            > >> fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry
                            > >> receiving the black
                            > >> letters, including someone at Windbloom castle,
                            > and
                            > >> someone wearing
                            > >> an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about
                            > >> Tomoe, Erstin, and
                            > >> the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe
                            > the
                            > >> frontrunner,
                            > >> Irina the dark horse, though most people are
                            > >> thinking Erstin, as you
                            > >> will see.)
                            > >
                            > > Erstin seems a very likely candidate. I don't
                            > think
                            > > it's Tomoe though as that would almost be too
                            > obvious.
                            >
                            > Just because it's obvious doesn't mean that they
                            > won't go there.
                            > Given how Tomoe's been developed, it just seems
                            > natural for her to go
                            > that way, and the black letter is just recognition
                            > that she has the
                            > goods Smith is looking for, though I think she needs
                            > to expand her
                            > vision. She really should become a Go Nagai style
                            > villianess at this
                            > point. I would like her at lot more if she did.
                            >
                            > > Erstin would make the most sense precisey
                            > > because she is so close to Arika and Nina. The
                            > other
                            > > two possible suspects in my mind are Irina and
                            > Yayoi,
                            > > but Erstin seems the most likely.
                            >
                            > I just don't buy Erstin as a villain of any sort. I
                            > don't think she
                            > has it in her. I can see Irina being seduced by the
                            > offer of
                            > technology, but even still, Tomoe is still the best
                            > candidate, given
                            > all the development they've given her in that
                            > direction.

                            I can only see her as the recipient if my idea about
                            the Black Letters subjugating the will of the user was
                            correct.

                            > > Another possibility is that Arika was the
                            > recipient.
                            > > This would especially make sense if Arika is an
                            > > articifial being or experiment planted by the
                            > Black
                            > > Letter group as you have suggested.
                            >
                            > Not my theory, that one is MellowRG's.

                            Oh, my mistake.

                            > > I have two possible explanations for this. First,
                            > > this could be a result of her getting the Black
                            > > Letter. The exact role of the Black Letters is
                            > > unclear at this point. The natural assumption is
                            > that
                            > > they are sent to sleeper agents telling them its
                            > time
                            > > to do their job.
                            > >
                            > > But I don't think it's that simple. I suspect
                            > that
                            > > the Black Letters actually subjugate the will of
                            > the
                            > > recipient and force them to carry out Mr. Smith's
                            > > will. Everytime someone has recieved a Black
                            > Letter,
                            > > we only see the person's hands opening the letter
                            > or
                            > > holding it. I don't think we have ever seen their
                            > > faces as they open it.
                            >
                            > Episode 7 when Arika first started working
                            > construction. The foreman
                            > delivered an envelope containing a black letter to a
                            > guy pushing a
                            > wheelbarrow. He opened it, saw what was inside, cut
                            > to his surprised
                            > reaction and he hurried off so as to not alert the
                            > foreman what was
                            > in his letter. That was the only time we saw a
                            > reaction shot, and he
                            > was one of the standard SLAVE master, as it were, so
                            > I think they are
                            > initially sleeper agents, but if they use a crystal,
                            > we know that the
                            > power in the crystal tends to consume them,
                            > especially the new ones.

                            I couldn't remember if they showed that guy's face or
                            not. However, Nagi and Mr. Smith were talking about a
                            new kind of Black Letter (or maybe it was the new
                            Slave, but I think it was a new letter) which could
                            have been my Will Subjugating Letter.

                            > > My second theory is this. Erstin and Tomoe are
                            > both
                            > > heavily implied lesbians. What if the two of them
                            > had
                            > > a relationship in the past?
                            >
                            > I don't think these two hooked up before. If
                            > anything, Erstin might
                            > recognize a kindred spirit and be hesitant about
                            > that, but, as Zyl's
                            > mum said, the reason is probably that it's still too
                            > early to catch
                            > Tomoe as the villain. ;)

                            > >> Nina is by the gazebo singing the Harmonium
                            > >> song, that
                            > >> everybody knows. As she winds down, Erstin and
                            > Arika
                            > >> start up the
                            > >> other verse.
                            > >
                            > > The Harmonium only needed three "Keys" right?
                            >
                            > The hints: the three circles, only two lighted,
                            > Nina, Mashiro and
                            > Arika knowing 3 different verses to the same song,
                            > seem to suggest
                            > that the Harmonium requires 3 people, but we don't
                            > know for sure yet.
                            >
                            > > Didn't
                            > > Mashiro also know part of the song?
                            >
                            > Yes, she knows an entirely different verse from Nina
                            > and Arika.
                            > Erstin only learned the verse that Arika knows.

                            I had thought that, but the Doremi sub had Arika
                            saying that they all knew different parts of the song.
                            On hindsight, this was probably just a translation
                            error.

                            > >> We get treated to another Nina
                            > >> flashback, where she is
                            > >> holding a gun at Sergey, and he is extending his
                            > >> hand, blood dripping
                            > >> down his forehead.
                            > >
                            > > Which explains Sergei's nifty little scar.
                            >
                            > Possibly. Nina was shakily holding a gun, while
                            > Sergey was extending
                            > his hand and presumably trying show her that he's
                            > safe, and there's
                            > nothing to fear. But, we still don't how he got it,
                            > and it doesn't
                            > look like the type of wound a grazing bullet might
                            > make.

                            Perhaps she was unable to fire the gun and hit him
                            with it instead. Regardless, I think she saw
                            something significant when they met. I think Sergei
                            lost his gun in a scuffle with someone (I suspected
                            Rena, but was unaware of the age differences) and Nina
                            was scared of Sergei because of seeing that.

                            > > Here's
                            > > some food for thought: What if Nina saw Sergei
                            > kill
                            > > Rena (or someone else) and then tried to shoot him
                            > in
                            > > fear?
                            >
                            > I think Rena was dead long before Sergey came of
                            > age.

                            I was thinking this because of the opening showing
                            Sergei over her dead body. Again, I was unaware of
                            the age difference between the two.

                            > > It would really have to pull some
                            > > amazing stuff for be to call it "better than
                            > HiME",
                            > > but if it keeps things up it will certainly be
                            > close.
                            >
                            > If we don't get a reset, then it automatically
                            > places a notch higher.

                            While I felt the first episode or two where better
                            than HiME's opening episodes, I'm unsure on the other
                            early episodes. I'll wait until Otome is over and I'm
                            rewatching (the legit release of) HiME.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 2 3:38 PM
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                              > On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:11 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *

                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              > *
                              Having rewatched the scene in Episode 16 where the black letters are
                              delivered, I have revised my guess:

                              More spoiler

                              space for

                              people reading on

                              Yahoo

                              Erstin's too obvious, based on the heavy sighs and sideways glances,
                              and of course Tomoe would be a pathetic choice.

                              It's Irina. The shadow of the hair matches hers.

                            • Chalcahuite
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 2 8:10 PM
                                On Feb 2, 2006, at 6:38 PM, atheniag wrote:

[...]

                                 Just finished watching 17 RAW. We're both SO totally wrong.

                                -==-

                                Serge

                                http://ximatl.blogspot.com

                                http://albikal.blogspot.com

                              • Aaron the PK
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 2 11:14 PM
                                  --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                                  > On Feb 2, 2006, at 6:38 PM, atheniag wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite
                                  > <ximatl@...> wrote:
                                  > >>

                                  > >> On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:11 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *

                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > >> *
                                  > > Having rewatched the scene in Episode 16 where the
                                  > black letters are
                                  > > delivered, I have revised my guess:
                                  > >

                                  > > More spoiler
                                  > >

                                  > > space for
                                  > >

                                  > > people reading on
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo
                                  > >

                                  > > Erstin's too obvious, based on the heavy sighs and
                                  > sideways glances,
                                  > > and of course Tomoe would be a pathetic choice.
                                  > >
                                  > > It's Irina. The shadow of the hair matches hers.
                                  >

                                  > Just finished watching 17 RAW. We're both SO
                                  > totally wrong.
                                  >
                                  > -==-
                                  > Serge
                                  > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                                  > http://albikal.blogspot.com

                                  I haven't watched the raw yet, but my official guesses
                                  (prior to reading this) is

                                  1. Irina
                                  2. Yayoi
                                  3. Erstin (only if the Black Letters enslaved the
                                  recipients)

                                  I didnt even consider Tomoe. Yes, they could go with
                                  the obvious and go with her, but I really don't think
                                  they would. I think she's going to defect to the
                                  Black Letter Group. Her pining for Shizuru wouldn't
                                  make much sense if she was actually a spy.

                                  Reading you're e-mail it sounds like it isn't Irina,
                                  Erstin OR Tomoe. So unless Yayoi is the recipient, it
                                  looks like I was wrong as well.

                                  After reading that those were wrong, I had an idea.
                                  In the opening, Arika and Nina are shown fighting for
                                  reasons unknown. So, I'm WAGing that Nina is the recpient.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • redadmiral66
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 3 12:15 AM
                                    > Just finished watching 17 RAW. We're both SO totally wrong.

                                    Having watched the 17 RAW, I am happy(?) to say that the ep. is now
                                    very high on my list of "Oh Holy Sh*t, I can't believe they did that"
                                    moments. This is despite my suspicions being quite close to what
                                    actually happened. I just wasn't expecting it to be ... resolved, shall
                                    we say, so quickly.
                                  • BlackSkaven
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 3 7:16 AM
                                      Aaron the PK wrote:

> [...]

                                      If both series are really linked then the Black Letter Group is
                                      connected to the "Sears Foundation"?

                                      BlackSkaven
                                    • Aaron the PK
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 5 12:37 PM
                                        --- BlackSkaven <BlackSkaven@...> wrote:

                                        > If both series are really linked then the Black
                                        > Letter Group is
                                        > connected to the "Sears Foundation"?
                                        >
                                        > BlackSkaven

                                        I have no idea. Honestly, it really doesn't look like
                                        it will link unless somehow the events in HiME
                                        resulted in everyone having to move to another planet.
                                        It's highly unlikely they will end up connected, but
                                        I will maintain that they are linked until there is
                                        absolute proof I am wrong (read: the series ends
                                        without proving me right).

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Chikane Himemiya
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 5 2:29 PM
                                          *laughs* Mebie! XD

                                          Aaron the PK wrote:

                                          If both series are really linked then the Black Letter Group is
                                          connected to the "Sears Foundation"?

                                          BlackSkaven

                                          "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."