Mai Otome 15 Home of the Brave Land of the SPOILERS

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2006
      No shark-jumping this week, but we are inching ever closer to plot payoff.

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      As completely expected, Arika escapes with her "Otome privilege" intact, and if you were really worried then you clearly haven't watched enough anime.

      Deathbed confession granny conveniently happens to live near the place where Arika is about to be ravished, so upon hearing the scream, Sergey, being the upstanding hero type, naturally goes to investigate, arrives the scene and scares off two bit thugs with a display of l33t firearm skillz. Also responding to the cries are Nao and her roguish band of violent mimes, who wrap up our ne'erdowells cocoon style, and presumably bring them to justice (or save them later for nourishment, depends on which spider motif they're working with. ;)
      Nao runs into Chie and Aoi (on what might appear to be a date) while dispensing with said mooks, and links back to Miya are discovered. Miya, for her part, knows that gig is up and tries to get the hell out of Dodge, but she isn't fast enough and gets to do a perp walk in front of the dorms. Tomoe is not at all happy with her failure, and we get a hint that perhaps Chie might suspect Tomoe behind it all but has no proof.
      Sergey gets Arika out of that neighborhood and back into the park and she calms herself down in the washroom, and the both contemplate recent events. (Arika more about her feelings for Sergey and Sergey more about the recent revelations he's discovered and Nagi's orders) She's a little cold so he gallantly offers his court. Sergey then takes her to the roof of a building and shows her the city at night.
      Lots of conversation occurs and after some time Arika presses on her desire to find out Sergey's feelings. Lots of blushing, a leaning in of both parties, cut to silhouette shot we saw in the preview and   then the eyecatch.
      Next scene, Arika seems to be back to her old Genki self, welcoming the new day with vim and vigor and waking her roommates Erstin and Nina. Who are both glad that she's back and OK. Nina had fallen asleep at her desk and was SO not worried about Arika in the slightest.
      Chie comes to the door and asks for Arika to accompany her. When she doesn't respond immediately, Nina prompts her, so we know something's still off with Arika.
      The Trias have done their investigation and traced back the uniform, pool and the prior night's incidents back to Miya and present such to Arika. I think they want Arika to press charges or something, but Arika doesn't want to crush her rivals. Anyway, Miss Maria interrupts and says the matter is settled or something. Miya leaves the school, and Tomoe hands Miya a letter, which in a scene closer to the end she tearfully rips to shreds.
      Something is still not right with Arika, as she still spaces out quite a bit. Erstin tries to get Arika to talk about it, but she brushes it off as nothing and wanders off. She runs into Aoi who asks her if she'll visit the hermit-ing Mashiro. Arika agrees and ends up in Mashiro's room. Mashiro snaps at Arika and eventually Takumi gets mentioned and Mashiro seems to deny at first and then I think she says Arika wouldn't understand. Arika seems to agree on this point and then starts breaking down.
      Here is when we get to see what really happened on the roof. Arika leans up to kiss Sergey and Sergey is about to kiss her, but changes his mind. He then proceeds to reject Arika quite harshly, with Rena coming up again, takes back his coat and Arika slaps him at the end and tells him she hates him.
      Arika and Mashiro commiserate over their broken hearts and bond over it. Later they both renew their resolve and both seem to be back to old selves, a little wiser, and much closer than before. The episode ends with the start of the graduation battles and Mashiro energetically encouraging her Otome.
      We see Sergey conflicted later on and refuses to see Nina when she comes by. More on this below.

      Next up a quiet moment between the friends Erstin, Nina, Arika which can only mean bad things afoot.

      Notes and Observations: (supplemented from AS forums and Omni's blog)

      Fandom seemed pretty much against any SergeyXArika, this was particular true at the eyecatch point when I noticed a lot of "IYA!"s on the 2-chan thread. While I'm glad nothing happened, I'm not sure if it's completely dead and buried. Perhaps the subs will clear that up later on.

      We finally learn that contents of the letter Nagi sent to Sergey last episode. Nagi instructs Sergey that they must find the true princess to realize their dreams, by any means necessary, suggesting that Sergey seduce her.  But, is having the princess really that important or is this just a ploy by Nagi to keep Sergey occupied and distracted?

      We are treated to a scene with a chibi-Nagi sitting atop some books in a what is presumably a warehouse, with a younger Sergey serving him. It is here that we know for certain that Sergey's design is the mature form of Tate.  Insert your "Sergey is Mai's lover" theory here. Though based on what we know, if true, Sergey was probably not nearly as serious about the relationship as Mai was. The "North Hound" could be a reference to his military/martial skills or they could be a reference to his playa ways.  Either way it seems to be a source of inner conflict for him.

      Needs more ChieXAoi.

      Nao rocks. Needs more Nao period.

      Obvioulsy, when Shizuru is away Natsuki has a hard time waking up, she sleeps with an alarm clock in her bed. ;)

      Tomoe must have been blackmailing Miya or something, because I don't see why she wouldn't finger Tomoe as her puppetmaster, considering how kinda weak willed she seems to be. Tomoe's days are officially numbered though, I think.

      In the scene where Mashiro is enthusiastically cheering on Arika. Miss Maria is scandalized, Aoi is holding on to Mashiro for dear life and Mikoto is latched firmly to Natsuki's face. Insert your own dirty joke here. ;)

      More later when subs are out.

      -==-
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2006

        > No shark-jumping this week, but we are inching ever closer to plot
        > payoff.
        >

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *
        > *

        ... (or save them
        > later for nourishment, depends on which spider motif they're working
        > with.)

        Nice, Serge - made me laugh like a hyena at work. Thank god I'd
        already finished drinking my coffee, or there'd be mass cleanup to do

      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2006

          > No shark-jumping this week, but we are inching ever closer to plot
          > payoff.
          >

          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *

          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *
          > *

          The more I see of this show, the more it suggest that Sergei, at one
          time, may have been a womanizer. North Hound probably comes from his
          conquest with women, rather that military merits.

          Regardless.. I can see how Mai was at one time, another of this
          playthings; which would explain why Natsuki is not on good terms with
          him, and why Nao is so sarcastic. Because unlike the others, they know
          the REAL story to the Fire Sring Ruby legend.

          Sergei seems to fit one of the classic playboy archetypes. Someone who
          fell in love with a woman he could never get, and.. overcompensates on
          that later in life.

          ..and if you think of it, Nina and Arika is a way for him to redeem
          his supposed past self.
        • Ashley
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 22, 2006
            Chalcahuite wrote:

            > No shark-jumping this week, but we are inching ever closer to plot
            > payoff.

            lol jumping the shark.

            > Needs more ChieXAoi.

            Truer words haver never been spoken...

            > Nao rocks. Needs more Nao period.

            Yes, I like Nao too. :3

            So says the (un)Official Aoi x Chie Fan-girl :P

            Ashley
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 22, 2006

              http://clemox2.free.fr/mai_otome/multimedia/gifs/ep_05_15.gif

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 22, 2006

                Chie *says* it's a date. I wonder what Aoi would've said. :-)

                > Obvioulsy, when Shizuru is away Natsuki has a hard time waking up,
                > she sleeps with an alarm clock in her bed. ;)

                I kept meaning to mention this...when dealing with young animals, a
                clock is often wrapped in a blanket and set next to the puppy or
                whatever, to simulate the beating of a mother's heart.

                It may not be the waking up part that Natsuki has so much trouble
                with, as the going to sleep part without Shizuru to sleep on. :-)

              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 22, 2006
                  On Jan 22, 2006, at 11:22 PM, atheniag wrote:

                  No shark-jumping this week, but we are inching ever closer to plot
                  payoff.

                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *

                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *
                  *

                  Nao runs into Chie and Aoi (on what might appear to be a date)

                  Chie *says* it's a date. I wonder what Aoi would've said. :-)

                  Probably would have chuckled, but not deny it.
                  On a similar note, it's kinda obvious when you think about it, but Chie's signature blue rose has probably always been a not so subtle hint as to who she's been after all along. ;) Nobody's mentioned it before, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

                  Obvioulsy, when Shizuru is away Natsuki has a hard time waking up,
                  she sleeps with an alarm clock in her bed. ;)

                  I kept meaning to mention this...when dealing with young animals, a
                  clock is often wrapped in a blanket and set next to the puppy or
                  whatever, to simulate the beating of a mother's heart.

                  It may not be the waking up part that Natsuki has so much trouble
                  with, as the going to sleep part without Shizuru to sleep on. :-)

                  Heh. That's why this list is so fun, two perfectly reasonable yuri inferences from an innocuous character quirk.
                • Aaron the PK
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 22, 2006
                    --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                    > Also responding to
                    > the cries are Nao
                    > and her roguish band of violent mimes, who wrap up
                    > our ne'erdowells
                    > cocoon style, and presumably bring them to justice
                    > (or save them
                    > later for nourishment, depends on which spider motif
                    > they're working
                    > with. ;)

                    I loved this scene. I love Nao and her Mime Squad.

                    > Nao runs into Chie and Aoi (on what might appear to
                    > be a date) while
                    > dispensing with said mooks

                    That screen flashed by pretty quickly and I didn't
                    notice that Aoi was there too. Thanks for pointing
                    this out.

                    I would also like to point out the return of the
                    street urchin that stole Nina's pendant in episode 11.
                    She is shown near the end in the old maids house
                    crying. And she is (as I had predicted before)
                    definitely the human reincarnation of Alyssa.

                    > Nao rocks. Needs more Nao period.

                    Definitely. And while I don't particularly care for
                    her mime outfit, I would like to see more of the Mime
                    Squad.

                    > Tomoe must have been blackmailing Miya or something,
                    because I > don't see why she wouldn't finger Tomoe as
                    her puppetmaster,
                    > considering how kinda weak willed she seems to be.
                    Tomoe's days > are officially numbered though, I
                    think.

                    I don't think blackmail would be terribly effective
                    since she was already out of the Academy. She may
                    have threatened to give Miya the same treatment that
                    she was giving Arika (namely the last one that Miya
                    was a part of). I'm hoping to see Tomoe get taken
                    care of (whatever that may entail, be it death or just
                    a beat down) by Shizuru.

                    > In the scene where Mashiro is enthusiastically
                    cheering on > Arika. Miss Maria is scandalized,
                    Aoi is holding on to Mashiro > for dear life and
                    Mikoto is latched firmly to Natsuki's face. > Insert
                    your own dirty joke here. ;)

                    "Alien" was the first thing that came to mind. The VG
                    Cats spoof of it, in particular. Natsuki gets some
                    hilarious scenes in this series. *points to the end of
                    episode 13*

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • ladystardust hhh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 23, 2006
                      That link for the animated gif reminded me; my gf and I made a photobucket account for yuri avatars that we've made (I think most of them are mine ^_^) not too long ago. The main album has yuri/shoujo-ai avas, and then there are a few sub-folders that aren't yuri but feature characters from animes that contain it. This includes Mai HiME and Mai Otome, as well as Marimite, Azumanga Daioh, and then various others.
                      All are under 100x100, as well as under 104 kb.
                      Feel free to save any of them. We made them for whoever likes 'em.
                      Okay, heres the link: http://photobucket.com/albums/e385/YuriAvas/
                      Enjoy!

                          -Ariel
                      Oh! Also, I suppose I should warn against spoilers. The Mai Otome ones are up to date...but I don't think they're spoiler-ish...but, then again, you never know.

                      atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                      > > Needs more ChieXAoi.
                      >
                      > Truer words haver never been spoken...

                      http://clemox2.free.fr/mai_otome/multimedia/gifs/ep_05_15.gif

                    • Chikane Himemiya
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 23, 2006
                        I've had THE HARDEST time finding both good Yuri manga that I can buy and Yuri avies......Mrhpness....I'm always finding Yaoi.....Why can't they start putting out more Yuri?....

                        ladystardust hhh <ladystardusthhh@...> wrote:
                        That link for the animated gif reminded me; my gf and I made a photobucket account for yuri avatars that we've made (I think most of them are mine ^_^) not too long ago. The main album has yuri/shoujo-ai avas, and then there are a few sub-folders that aren't yuri but feature characters from animes that contain it. This includes Mai HiME and Mai Otome, as well as Marimite, Azumanga Daioh, and then various others.
                        All are under 100x100, as well as under 104 kb.
                        Feel free to save any of them. We made them for whoever likes 'em.
                        Okay, heres the link: http://photobucket.com/albums/e385/YuriAvas/
                        Enjoy!

                            -Ariel
                        Oh! Also, I suppose I should warn against spoilers. The Mai Otome ones are up to date...but I don't think they're spoiler-ish...but, then again, you never know.

                        atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                        > > Needs more ChieXAoi.
                        >
                        > Truer words haver never been spoken...

                        http://clemox2.free.fr/mai_otome/multimedia/gifs/ep_05_15.gif

                        "Should I smile because you're a friend, or cry cause that's all you'll ever be?"
                        Shay/Rumiel

                        Yahoo! Photos
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 23, 2006
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chikane Himemiya <chikane_himiko@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > I've had THE HARDEST time finding both good Yuri manga that I can
                          buy and Yuri avies......Mrhpness....I'm always finding Yaoi.....Why
                          can't they start putting out more Yuri?....

                          Hi.

                          Can I ask you a personal favor? This is not me speaking as the head of
                          Yuricon, but as the overworked person who puts in hours and hours of
                          time looking for ways to bring people a comprehensive site that does,
                          in fact, include things like manga and anime you can buy (and which I
                          have already noted several times DOES ship to your country) and AMVs
                          you can download and a huge list of anime and manga that would be of
                          interest to you, for no other reason that I want to share yuri with as
                          many people as I can.

                          You have, several times now, complained that "they" don't provide you
                          with enough yuri. I don't know what "they" you are referring to, but I
                          wonder how much *you* have done to forward the cause of licensing and
                          distribution of yuri in your country?

                          So, until you can say that you are actually doing anything other than
                          complaining about how "they" don't do enough, please stop saying that
                          on this list, which is actually quite full of people who work
                          amazingly hard to license, distribute, draw, write, make AMVs,
                          scanlate and fansub yuri so you can enjoy it.

                          Thank you,

                          Erica (who is, admittedly, in a very bad mood)
                        • Chikane Himemiya
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 23, 2006
                            I *have* tired doing things to get more stuff on the selves.....The liscenced publishing companies almost seem to have something against Yuri....My opinion, but from your request, what does it matter. But I'm always trying, and working at a book store, I have better access to publishing companies contact information to get a hold of them and put in a request.

                            wrote:

                            > I've had THE HARDEST time finding both good Yuri manga that I can
                            buy and Yuri avies......Mrhpness....I'm always finding Yaoi.....Why
                            can't they start putting out more Yuri?....

                            Hi.

                            Can I ask you a personal favor? This is not me speaking as the head of
                            Yuricon, but as the overworked person who puts in hours and hours of
                            time looking for  ways to bring people a comprehensive site that does,
                            in fact, include things like manga and anime you can buy (and which I
                            have already noted several times DOES ship to your country) and AMVs
                            you can download and a huge list of anime and manga that would be of
                            interest to you, for no other reason that I want to share yuri with as
                            many people as I can.

                            You have, several times now, complained that "they" don't provide you
                            with enough yuri. I don't know what "they" you are referring to, but I
                            wonder how much *you* have done to forward the cause of licensing and
                            distribution of yuri in your country?

                            So, until you can say that you are actually doing anything other than
                            complaining about how "they" don't do enough, please stop saying that
                            on this list, which is actually quite full of people who work
                            amazingly hard to license, distribute, draw, write, make AMVs,
                            scanlate and fansub yuri so you can enjoy it.

                            Thank you,

                            Erica (who is, admittedly, in a very bad mood)

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            "Should I smile because you're a friend, or cry cause that's all you'll ever be?"
                            Shay/Rumiel

                          • lamky11
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 25, 2006
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > No shark-jumping this week, but we are inching ever closer to
                              plot
                              > > payoff.
                              > >

                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *

                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > > *
                              > >
                              > > > I kept meaning to mention this...when dealing with young
                              animals, a
                              > clock is often wrapped in a blanket and set next to the puppy or
                              > whatever, to simulate the beating of a mother's heart.
                              >
                              > It may not be the waking up part that Natsuki has so much trouble
                              > with, as the going to sleep part without Shizuru to sleep on. :-)

                              Now that you mention about the mysterious appearence of that
                              clock... It starts to make sense!! At first i thought the animators
                              just wan to fill up the empty spaces with items... ^__^ (Runs off to
                              find a clock and towel)
                            • Kat Ehas
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
                                On 1/22/06, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *

                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > > *
                                > >
                                > > Nao runs into Chie and Aoi (on what might appear to be a date)
                                >
                                > Chie *says* it's a date. I wonder what Aoi would've said. :-)

                                Aoi is more reserved. I can't see her saying it was a date. Chie is
                                obviously more comfortable with being open about her life, and what
                                she says is probably closer to the reality of the situation. :)

                                I think I'll throw my idle speculations in at this point (I've only
                                seen through this episode, since I'm watching S-S's subs). I think
                                that Tomoe isn't the top of the "get Arika" food-chain. Someone is
                                twiddling her strings. Possibly Shiho. Possibly someone even higher.
                                After all, we haven't really seen a whole lot of Shiho's darkside
                                other than the bits of spiraling early on. And to have the uniform
                                incident, the pool (which we know was Shiho), and the gang (which
                                we're lead to believe was definately Miya's doing) ALL laid at Miya's
                                feet just stinks of "fall girl". There's a larger conspiracy here,
                                and I don't think it only goes as high as a Coral class student.

                                As for the "real" princess, I'm thinking it is Mashiro. It's almost
                                certain that Nina is Rena's daughter, mainly because of the hair
                                colour thing. The bit that the old lady told Sergey may have been a
                                red herring, knowing that he is Nagi's top advisor, and that Nagi is
                                not to be trusted. It doesn't explain why Arika has the Blue
                                Sapphire, but that could be slowly revealed to us later. Perhaps Miyu
                                was the one who plucked the "true princess" from the river and she
                                took the Sapphire to give to Arika's grandmother, since we do seem to
                                know that Miyu had some connection to Arika's grandmother.

                                Anyhow, all idle speculation. I'm trying not to read too much into
                                any of the "revelations" to this point, though.

                                kat_chan