Steady Beat

  • Erin Subramanian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      I don't think I've seen this manga mentioned here before, and IMO it
      deserves more recognition in the online yuri community. Here's the
      review I just wrote about it for the lililicious livejournal community:
      Steady Beat is an OEL (original English-language) manga. It's about a
      girl who finds out her seemingly-perfect older sister is gay. There are
      also a couple gay male characters in the manga. It's set in Texas, and
      the main character's mother is a state senator, which adds another
      dimension to the closet issue.

      The back cover describes it as a "comedy-drama," and I found it to be an
      interesting, original read so far. I also like the artwork-- it's pretty.

      The first volume is all that's out so far, and it felt a little short to
      me (maybe because it doesn't take up the full volume-- there are some
      character sketches and stuff, plus a long preview of another Tokyopop
      manga in there too). Despite the short length, I'd say it's still well
      worth the $10 Tokyopop is asking for it.

      The ISBN of the first volume is 1598161350. Useful links (some of which
      have some sneak peeks at scenes from the manga):
      The artist's homepage: http://www.rivkah.com/index.htm
      The artist's livejournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilrivkah/
      The Steady Beat livejournal community:
      http://www.livejournal.com/community/steady_beat/

      Erin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erin Subramanian <esubramanian1@c...>
        wrote:

        > I don't think I've seen this manga mentioned here before, and IMO it
        > deserves more recognition in the online yuri community.

        Thank you! I have remembered and forgotten to mention this about a
        thousand times since I picked it up.

        Duh...well, good. I'm glad you brought it up.

        > The first volume is all that's out so far, and it felt a little
        short to
        > me (maybe because it doesn't take up the full volume-- there are
        some
        > character sketches and stuff, plus a long preview of another
        Tokyopop
        > manga in there too). Despite the short length, I'd say it's still
        well
        > worth the $10 Tokyopop is asking for it.

        I picked my copy up at Onna! for about $7, so you can get it live and
        in person sometimes cheaper, even.

        For those of you who might want to support Yuricon while buying yuri
        manga, here is the link through our associates account at Amazon:
        <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598161350/qid=1136492083/sr=2-1/
        ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1897240-0836922?s=books&v=glance&n=283155>

      • Ashley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
          Announcement time again. hehe. Kaliedo Star, Legend of the Phoenix has
          been subbed. Its up on tokytosho. :)

          Ashley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

            > Announcement time again. hehe. Kaliedo Star, Legend of the Phoenix has
            > been subbed. Its up on tokytosho. :)

            I strongly recommend all fns of KS to watch this. For those of you
            just starting the series off, wait until you've ben frustrated by the
            entire series *then* watch this - it'll make it worthwhile. :-)

          • Chikane Himemiya
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
              XD I wish. I can't get over three fourths of the stuff out there. No money. It sucks.

              atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

              > Announcement time again. hehe. Kaliedo Star, Legend of the Phoenix has
              > been subbed. Its up on tokytosho. :)

              I strongly recommend all fns of KS to watch this. For those of you
              just starting the series off, wait until you've ben frustrated by the
              entire series *then* watch this - it'll make it worthwhile. :-)

              "Should I smile because you're a friend, or cry cause that's all you'll ever be?"
              Shay/Rumiel

              Yahoo! Photos