Re: [Yuricon] Notes on the 13th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel - Part 4

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:03 PM, atheniag wrote:

      Song of an Angel

      I guess it wouldn't do to pull a mean girls routine at Lillian considering how popular Yumi is there, and how idyllic the school seems to be, so it had to happen externally to Lillian. And naturally, I was reminded of Oniisama E, Ace wo Nerae and every other shoujo school series where the plain girl gets a little extra attention.

      Is the thing about the rice just something that families of "good breeding" don't do? Or is there some other significance I'm missing. And I'm sure it's the point, but it seems such a trivial thing to make a big deal of. Rich people are weird.

      Oh, I'm glad you do these. I've grown to like Sachiko, Yumi, et al, a whole lot more after reading these.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006

        > On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:03 PM, atheniag wrote:
        >
        > > Song of an Angel
        >
        > I guess it wouldn't do to pull a mean girls routine at Lillian
        > considering how popular Yumi is there, and how idyllic the school
        > seems to be, so it had to happen externally to Lillian. And
        > naturally, I was reminded of Oniisama E, Ace wo Nerae and every
        other
        > shoujo school series where the plain girl gets a little extra
        attention.

        Not just shoujo. How often is shounen anime about an average guy?

        I've said it before - anime and manga are most frequently about an
        average or below average lead who finds themselves, through
        circumstances which comprise the plot, surrounded by extraordinary
        people and thrust into extraordinary situations.

        Whether it be the Yumis who find themselves in the Student Council, or
        Tenshi surrounded by women from space...it's so often about the
        average forced into the extraordinary.

        > Is the thing about the rice just something that families of "good
        > breeding" don't do? Or is there some other significance I'm missing.

        I have absolutely no idea. I tried looking this up and found nothing.
        My gut feeling is that it's another marriage thing from Yumi's wacky
        mom. In any case the symbolic significance is fairly obvious - "so my
        daughter won't be a burden on your resources, here is food with which
        to feed her."

        > And I'm sure it's the point, but it seems such a trivial thing to
        > make a big deal of. Rich people are weird.

        That's why Kashiwagi's comments are so crucial. He points out that, as
        far as this goes, it's not *just* another prank by spolied rich girls
        - it's a concerted effort to embarrass the Ogasawara family by those
        who envy and fear them.

        > Oh, I'm glad you do these. I've grown to like Sachiko, Yumi, et al,
        > whole lot more after reading these.

        You're quite welcome. I have as well. I've also come to admire and
        respect Konno Oyuki as a writer and have started to think I'd like to
        have her over for dinner one day for a chat. LOL