Re: [Yuricon] The Great Ogasawara (re: Maria-sama ga Miteru no. 13)

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006

      From: Paul Corrigan <studio_poutine@...>
      Subject: [Yuricon] The Great Ogasawara (re: Maria-sama ga Miteru no. 13)
      Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:24:09 -0500 (EST)

      "Oh I wish that I could be Richard Cory..."

      Just a few thoughts:

      1. If Oyuki Konno hadn't written the "Yumi sings Maria-sama no kokoro"
      scene, it would have
      necessary for the animators to invent it. In any case, it's now obvious
      that this book's perfect
      for adaptation into an OAV. Me I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing)
      Yumi's performance.
         I just hope her voice actress can sing.

      I have to agree. As I was reading this I was thinking much the same thing.

      I've heard Ueda Kana sing somehwere along the line - it'll sound as
      described, i imagine. Shaky, not perfect, but sincere.

      I looked her up on ANN and Ueda Kana did the OP and ED for Gakuen Alice and the ED for He Is My Master.
      So, it may actually sound better, as intentionally singing badly is much harder if you actually know how to sing.

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:03 PM, atheniag wrote:

        Song of an Angel

        I guess it wouldn't do to pull a mean girls routine at Lillian considering how popular Yumi is there, and how idyllic the school seems to be, so it had to happen externally to Lillian. And naturally, I was reminded of Oniisama E, Ace wo Nerae and every other shoujo school series where the plain girl gets a little extra attention.

        Is the thing about the rice just something that families of "good breeding" don't do? Or is there some other significance I'm missing. And I'm sure it's the point, but it seems such a trivial thing to make a big deal of. Rich people are weird.

        Oh, I'm glad you do these. I've grown to like Sachiko, Yumi, et al, a whole lot more after reading these.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006

          > On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:03 PM, atheniag wrote:
          >
          > > Song of an Angel
          >
          > I guess it wouldn't do to pull a mean girls routine at Lillian
          > considering how popular Yumi is there, and how idyllic the school
          > seems to be, so it had to happen externally to Lillian. And
          > naturally, I was reminded of Oniisama E, Ace wo Nerae and every
          other
          > shoujo school series where the plain girl gets a little extra
          attention.

          Not just shoujo. How often is shounen anime about an average guy?

          I've said it before - anime and manga are most frequently about an
          average or below average lead who finds themselves, through
          circumstances which comprise the plot, surrounded by extraordinary
          people and thrust into extraordinary situations.

          Whether it be the Yumis who find themselves in the Student Council, or
          Tenshi surrounded by women from space...it's so often about the
          average forced into the extraordinary.

          > Is the thing about the rice just something that families of "good
          > breeding" don't do? Or is there some other significance I'm missing.

          I have absolutely no idea. I tried looking this up and found nothing.
          My gut feeling is that it's another marriage thing from Yumi's wacky
          mom. In any case the symbolic significance is fairly obvious - "so my
          daughter won't be a burden on your resources, here is food with which
          to feed her."

          > And I'm sure it's the point, but it seems such a trivial thing to
          > make a big deal of. Rich people are weird.

          That's why Kashiwagi's comments are so crucial. He points out that, as
          far as this goes, it's not *just* another prank by spolied rich girls
          - it's a concerted effort to embarrass the Ogasawara family by those
          who envy and fear them.

          > Oh, I'm glad you do these. I've grown to like Sachiko, Yumi, et al,
          > whole lot more after reading these.

          You're quite welcome. I have as well. I've also come to admire and
          respect Konno Oyuki as a writer and have started to think I'd like to
          have her over for dinner one day for a chat. LOL