RE: [Yuricon] The Great Ogasawara (re: Maria-sama ga Miteru no. 13)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      >From: Paul Corrigan <studio_poutine@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] The Great Ogasawara (re: Maria-sama ga Miteru no. 13)
      >Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:24:09 -0500 (EST)
      >
      >"Oh I wish that I could be Richard Cory..."
      >
      >Just a few thoughts:
      >
      >1. If Oyuki Konno hadn't written the "Yumi sings Maria-sama no kokoro"
      >scene, it would have
      >necessary for the animators to invent it. In any case, it's now obvious
      >that this book's perfect
      >for adaptation into an OAV. Me I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing)
      >Yumi's performance.
      > I just hope her voice actress can sing.

      I have to agree. As I was reading this I was thinking much the same thing.

      I've heard Ueda Kana sing somehwere along the line - it'll sound as
      described, i imagine. Shaky, not perfect, but sincere.

      >4. (An unlucky number, like 13.) Now you tell me, Ms. Friedman. If Toko
      >didn't go to Canada (at
      >least not that year), I'm going to have to revise Toko's monologue about
      >her godawful "vacation"
      >in Quebec City, if I don't actually delete it. Serves me right. ^_^;

      Sorry 'bout that. Not intentional I assure you.

      >5. There's actually far more to this than your typical onsen episode. This
      >is hardly F. Scott
      >Fitzgerald, but it's here that I finally was able to pity Sachiko, if still
      >not exactly love her.
      >The most memorable image here is of Mrs. Saionji drinking from a bottle,
      >not caring who saw. God
      >help Sachiko if all she has to look forward to is slowly being killed--or
      >driven to drink like
      >Mrs. Saionji, which is often how the killing is done--by being paid to do
      >nothing.
      > Saddest of all, I'm not convinced Yumi's love will be enough to save
      >Sachiko from her fate. Not
      >yet, anyway.

      I'm convinced that Sachiko will marry Kashiwagi as intended. She doesn't
      have the strength of will to fight that - and franly, it's probabaly the
      best thing she can do for herself. She doesn't trust or like men - anyone
      she found herself falling for would be either thrust away, or could do
      irreperable damage if her was really only after what he could get from her.
      She's got to realize that with Kashiwagi at least, she's safe from herself
      and from others who might hurt her.

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006

        From: Paul Corrigan <studio_poutine@...>
        Subject: [Yuricon] The Great Ogasawara (re: Maria-sama ga Miteru no. 13)
        Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:24:09 -0500 (EST)

        "Oh I wish that I could be Richard Cory..."

        Just a few thoughts:

        1. If Oyuki Konno hadn't written the "Yumi sings Maria-sama no kokoro"
        scene, it would have
        necessary for the animators to invent it. In any case, it's now obvious
        that this book's perfect
        for adaptation into an OAV. Me I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing)
        Yumi's performance.
           I just hope her voice actress can sing.

        I have to agree. As I was reading this I was thinking much the same thing.

        I've heard Ueda Kana sing somehwere along the line - it'll sound as
        described, i imagine. Shaky, not perfect, but sincere.

        I looked her up on ANN and Ueda Kana did the OP and ED for Gakuen Alice and the ED for He Is My Master.
        So, it may actually sound better, as intentionally singing badly is much harder if you actually know how to sing.

      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:03 PM, atheniag wrote:

          Song of an Angel

          I guess it wouldn't do to pull a mean girls routine at Lillian considering how popular Yumi is there, and how idyllic the school seems to be, so it had to happen externally to Lillian. And naturally, I was reminded of Oniisama E, Ace wo Nerae and every other shoujo school series where the plain girl gets a little extra attention.

          Is the thing about the rice just something that families of "good breeding" don't do? Or is there some other significance I'm missing. And I'm sure it's the point, but it seems such a trivial thing to make a big deal of. Rich people are weird.

          Oh, I'm glad you do these. I've grown to like Sachiko, Yumi, et al, a whole lot more after reading these.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006

            > On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:03 PM, atheniag wrote:
            >
            > > Song of an Angel
            >
            > I guess it wouldn't do to pull a mean girls routine at Lillian
            > considering how popular Yumi is there, and how idyllic the school
            > seems to be, so it had to happen externally to Lillian. And
            > naturally, I was reminded of Oniisama E, Ace wo Nerae and every
            other
            > shoujo school series where the plain girl gets a little extra
            attention.

            Not just shoujo. How often is shounen anime about an average guy?

            I've said it before - anime and manga are most frequently about an
            average or below average lead who finds themselves, through
            circumstances which comprise the plot, surrounded by extraordinary
            people and thrust into extraordinary situations.

            Whether it be the Yumis who find themselves in the Student Council, or
            Tenshi surrounded by women from space...it's so often about the
            average forced into the extraordinary.

            > Is the thing about the rice just something that families of "good
            > breeding" don't do? Or is there some other significance I'm missing.

            I have absolutely no idea. I tried looking this up and found nothing.
            My gut feeling is that it's another marriage thing from Yumi's wacky
            mom. In any case the symbolic significance is fairly obvious - "so my
            daughter won't be a burden on your resources, here is food with which
            to feed her."

            > And I'm sure it's the point, but it seems such a trivial thing to
            > make a big deal of. Rich people are weird.

            That's why Kashiwagi's comments are so crucial. He points out that, as
            far as this goes, it's not *just* another prank by spolied rich girls
            - it's a concerted effort to embarrass the Ogasawara family by those
            who envy and fear them.

            > Oh, I'm glad you do these. I've grown to like Sachiko, Yumi, et al,
            > whole lot more after reading these.

            You're quite welcome. I have as well. I've also come to admire and
            respect Konno Oyuki as a writer and have started to think I'd like to
            have her over for dinner one day for a chat. LOL