Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko, Issue 37

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2005
      My apologies for the lateness - I just kept forgetting to post. :-)

      [For Issues 1-31: http://www.yuricon.org/snb/index.html

      Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko

      The Story So Far: Having survived a weekend meeting Midori's entire
      family, Yuriko is more than ready to return to the nice relaxing job
      of preparing for an international tour with a costar that hates her.

      Volume 3, Issue 1

      "Distant Rumbling"

      "Check with my office to schedule it - I'm not sure when I'm free."
      Yuriko leaned back in her chair and stared at nothing, as the voice in
      her ear buzzed on. "No, right, I understand. I'm glad to help."

      The voice buzzed some more. "Great, then, I'll see you later." The
      voice buzzed the usual words of thanks and her brain shifted into
      automatic. After a few moments of formulaic conversation, she was
      able, at last, to return the phone to its cradle.

      Sighing deeply, Yuriko closed her eyes and thought over her "To Do"
      list. Called them, check, spoke to the magazine, right, called Kishi.
      Yuriko's eyes opened without focusing as she replayed the conversation
      with her manager.

      Tabloids.

      Yuriko wondered how anyone who wrote for them could sleep at night.
      She picked up the fax from the table and gazed without emotion at the
      blurry black and white reproduction of her and Midori, mouths open,
      apparently shrieking at a stunned and helpless talk show host. The
      headline read "Angry Lesbians Have Their Say." Yuriko marveled at the
      angle of the shot, which made both her and Midori seem threatening and
      violent.

      When the phone rang, Yuriko's hand was already on it.

      "Did you hear?" Midori's voice was torn between outrage and amusement.

      "Better - I've seen. I have a lovely photograph right here," Yuri
      answered without irony. "You look pleasantly self-righteous, while I
      seem overtly menacing. I like it." She paused to examine the image.
      "Maybe I should do what the pro wrestlers do and change my image from
      benign and sexy to evil and even more sexy."

      Midori's laughed drained all residual tension from the idol's
      shoulders. She was still never quite sure how the mercurial writer
      would take being tabloid fodder - for that matter, she wasn't ever
      sure she knew how *she'd* react.

      "It's not as bad as it could be, I imagine - they could be
      interviewing my family or..." Midori's voice cut off suddenly, as she
      assumably contemplated tabloid reporters ambushing her parents. The
      shake of her head was almost audible over the phone. "No, I'm sure
      it'll be fine. Despite the aggrandizement of the situation, I didn't
      see anything libelous in it."

      "I'm going on tour - all press is good press right now. Or so Kishi-
      san assures me," Yuriko finished wryly.

      "And I have a book coming out, so there you go. I have to get some
      writing done and you've got an early start. Go to sleep. I love you."

      "I love you too, but I'm not feeling very sleepy." At which Yuriko
      yawned audibly.

      Midori laughed.

      "Thank you, darling." The writer's voice was earnest. Yuriko could
      clearly envision the look on Midori's face. She could feel her cheeks
      warm at the image.

      "For what?"

      There was a crackle of static as Midori moved the phone, then, "For
      coming with me, for enduring my family, for...." There was a pause,
      then, "Do you want to live in the city?"

      Yuriko's head reeled at the non-sequitor. "What?" She *was* tired,
      obviously, because she hadn't followed that at all.

      "You passed the audition, you know - with flying colors."

      A beat passed, then a second one and on beat three Yuriko's brain
      kicked in. "Really?"

      "Really. So, the answer is yes. Yes, I want to live together after you
      come home."

      Suddenly, Yuri felt extremely energetic. She bounced to her feet and
      paced back and forth as she spoke. "Um, I don't care, city, suburbs,
      whatever. Wherever you want."

      "No - wherever *we* want," Midori remonstrated. "And we can always
      keep an apartment here and a house somewhere else..."

      The conversation continued on for a long time, but devolved quickly
      into small, private and meaningless phrases. When she finally hung up,
      Yuriko was shocked to see that it was well past midnight. She had only
      a few hours to sleep before the grind of tour rehearsal began once
      again.

      So, of course, she couldn't fall asleep.

      ***

      "I suppose," Midori said, "we should really discuss details, shouldn't
      we?"

      "Of course," Yuriko agreed, smiling across the table into her lover's
      eyes.

      Midori returned the smile, then her face settled into a very firm and
      business-like mien. "First - and this is very important to me - I
      don't want any kind of ceremony at all. No commitment, or wedding or
      anything. Not even a housewarming party for more than four."

      Nodding, the blonde reached out to grasp one of the writer's hands.
      "No ceremony," she agreed. That kind of thing wasn't terribly
      important to her, really, so it was no problem. Although it would rob
      her of a perfectly legitimate excuse to dress to the nines...

      "I was thinking that what might be best would be if we built a house,
      and had an apartment here in the city."

      "I thought that too, only - *build* a house?" Yuriko considered,
      finding the concept intriguing. "It's a pretty nice idea, actually.
      This way we can have exactly what we want."

      "Exactly," Midori said efficiently. "And here's my list of things I
      want in the house - of course, you'll have your list too..." she
      reached below the table and lifted up an incredibly thick sheaf of
      paper which made an audible "thud" when it hit the table.

      Yuriko gaped at the other woman, as she began to read.

      "Of course, I'll want my own room to write in, and it needs to lock,
      but you can have your own room too, if you want, that I can't get
      into. And a computer room, obviously, but I want to make sure that we
      have at least one deep bay window and the ceilings have to be high
      enough for..."

      The writer's voice droned on as she read her requirements. Yuriko
      could do little else but stare in shock as Midori detailed everything
      from the number of towel racks to the color of the kitchen shelves.

      "Wait,' she tried to stem the tide of words, "Midori! Wait!" She
      reached out in a panic as the writer's monologue continued, and she
      stood, trying to get the woman's attention.

      Yuriko sat up in bed, one arm outstretched, the word "wait!" once more
      on her lips. She blinked stupidly and, slowly, consciousness forced
      its unwanted presence on her.

      She was awake.

      That had been a dream.

      Right.

      She squinted at the clock, realized there was no point in trying to
      fall back asleep, rubbed her eyes in frustration, and got up
      resignedly.

      ***

      She was at the studio early enough that she was the one waiting when
      Kishi walked up briskly, pulled a cigarette from her lips and ground
      the stub on the pavement.

      "Did you have a nice relaxing vacation?" The older woman, as usual,
      hardly inflected her voice, but Yuriko was so tired that it took all
      she had not to flinch.

      "Very. I only managed one scandal this time. Pretty good for me."
      Yuriko rubbed her temples.

      Kishi humphed in acknowledgement. "We've got Publicity on it. The
      usual. It won't hurt you, they say - might generate some "community"
      interest in your tour." She fished in her purse, assumably for a
      cigarette, but when her hand emerged, it held something metallic.
      Kishi's eyes flicked across Yuriko's face, then away quickly. "So,
      here's your schedule for the week."

      Yuriko looked down at the proffered object, then back at her manager.
      "What's that?"

      "Your PDA." Kishi edged the compact device closer to the blonde.

      Keeping her hands resolutely by her side, Yuriko shook her head. "I
      don't *have* a PDA," she insisted, as an unpleasant feeling settled
      into the pit of her stomach. "I have a manager, who guides me gently
      through the labyrinth of my schedule with the patience and strength of
      a saint."

      Kishi's face looked pale, Yuriko noted suddenly. Pale and drawn. As
      the sickening feeling spread, the singer realized with some surprise
      that her manager looked every day her age and then some. Kishi's eyes
      were sunken and her color wasn't healthy. Yuriko blinked rapidly,
      trying to dispel the unpleasant suspicion that was forming in her
      mind.

      The older woman looked tiredly up into suspicious blue eyes and heaved
      a sigh. "Let's get some coffee," she suggested. The personal digital
      assistant disappeared from sight as she pulled a cigarette from her
      purse.

      To Be Continued
    • Milla kARIOJA

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
          >From: Milla kARIOJA <crimsongaze88@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of
          >Yuriko, Issue 37
          >Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:23:07 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >OMG! That was a good chapter but what is wrong with Kishi-san? :(

          Gald you enjoyed it. You'll just have to wait and find out!

        • kitten
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
            she's gonna make us wait. [she gets a twisted pleasure leaving us hanging like this.] XD  motto, motto, motto!! (we may derive a guilty pleasure in the anticipation as well)
             "Will Kishi-san tell Yuriko what's wrong? Will Yuriko have to manage without Kishi's constant guidance? will Midori have to teach Yuriko how to use the PDA? Be sure to tune in next week - same time, same channel!" ~_^

            Milla kARIOJA <crimsongaze88@...> wrote:
            OMG! That was a good chapter but what is wrong with Kishi-san? :(

            atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
            My apologies for the lateness - I just kept forgetting to post. :-)

            Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko

            kitty =^!^=
            BIPOLARIS DELERIUM MENTIA

            Yahoo! Shopping
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
              On Dec 28, 2005, at 1:38 PM, kitten wrote:

              Since, I'm killing time at work, allow me to deflate your sense of suspense, with my uncanny affinity for wild speculation.

               "Will Kishi-san tell Yuriko what's wrong?

              No.

              Will Yuriko have to manage without Kishi's constant guidance?

              Yes.

              will Midori have to teach Yuriko how to use the PDA?

              Probably not. Some things you need to figure out on your own. Especially, if said figuring out can be mined for comedy gold. ;)

              Be sure to tune in next week - same time, same channel!" ~_^

              Hmm, since next week is, technically, a new month I suppose it's possible. But, Erica will post when she posts. And it's always been worth the wait so far . . . .

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
                >From: kitten <nekoni8@...>
                >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of
                >Yuriko, Issue 37
                >Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:38:58 -0800 (PST)
                >
                > she's gonna make us wait. [she gets a twisted pleasure leaving us
                >hanging like this.] XD motto, motto, motto!! (we may derive a guilty
                >pleasure in the anticipation as well)
                > "Will Kishi-san tell Yuriko what's wrong? Will Yuriko have to manage
                >without Kishi's constant guidance? will Midori have to teach Yuriko how to
                >use the PDA? Be sure to tune in next week - same time, same channel!" ~_^

                Next month. The target date is the 22nd of every month, but I'm a bit flaky
                about it. :-)

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
                  >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                  >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of
                  >Yuriko, Issue 37
                  >Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:07:10 -0500
                  >
                  >On Dec 28, 2005, at 1:38 PM, kitten wrote:
                  >
                  >Since, I'm killing time at work, allow me to deflate your sense of
                  >suspense, with my uncanny affinity for wild speculation.

                  I won't respond to all of these, but this one:

                  >>>will Midori have to teach Yuriko how to use the PDA?
                  >
                  >Probably not. Some things you need to figure out on your own. Especially,
                  >if said figuring out can be mined for comedy gold. ;)

                  As Yuriko pointed out, erm, pointedly,to Midori - it's not that she *can't*
                  use technology. She doesn't *want* to use it. She's happy being a Luddite.

                  And thank you for the "worth the wait" comment. :-) I warms the cockles of
                  my heart and makes me think I should get back to writing this.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kitten <nekoni8@y...> wrote:

                    > she's gonna make us wait. [she gets a twisted pleasure leaving us
                    hanging like this.] XD motto, motto, motto!! (we may derive a guilty
                    pleasure in the anticipation as well)

                    I forgot to mention - I get no pleasure from making you wait - it's a
                    self-preservation technique. If I posted issues faster, we'd catch up
                    to where I am *really* fast and I'd be utterly screwed. LOL

                    Cheers,

                    Erica (who has no clue where the story plans on going, really...)
                  • kitten