Notes on the 10th Maria-sama ga Miteru novel, Part 3

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      Part 3 – Rainy Blue

      How much did I *not* want to read this part of the novel....

      The bulk of the novel is internal monologue and thoughts, so the anime
      really just couldn't manage to convey what was going on, I think. The
      animators sucked. In fact, they managed to totally misconvey
      everyone's emotions in this episode, so Touko seemed evil, Sachiko
      seemed heartless and Yumi seemed like a happy-go-lucky bunny run
      suddenly over with a steamroller. In fact, Touko is oblivious,
      Sachiko is distracted and troubled and Yumi...well, Yumi is engaging
      in a bout of well-deserved overwrought angst brought on by a lack of
      ability to communicate. She's 16, maybe 17. Just remind yourself of
      that from time to time. If you're over 25, it'll help. ;-)

      It was losing the umbrella that did it. If she hadn't lost the
      umbrella, she would have been okay.

      ***

      The umbrella had a hydrangea pattern on it, hence the hydrangea
      imagery in the anime with which we are beaten.

      ***

      Yoshino and Yumi are talking when Tsutako comes up and asks id she can
      take a picture of them for the weekly. Jokingly, Yumi lifts her bag to
      hide her face and refuses.

      ***

      Yumi walks to Sachiko's classroom, and comes across the scene of Touko
      begging Sachiko to go with her on a drive. Yumi is so offended by
      Touko's impudence that she turns around and leaves.

      In the anime, Sachiko is smiling in this scene. in the novel, she's
      quite serious.

      ***

      During the scene when Yumi asks after Sachiko's family, Sachiko really
      *could* have told her. So the problem does begin with Sachiko, right
      here.

      ***

      Yumi has, in fact, noticed that Sachiko touches her all the time. And
      she likes it.

      ***

      When Minako shows Yumi that Sachiko and Touko are talking in the hall,
      she mentions that it has happened everyday. Yumi's surprised, but acts
      like she's not. This scene was pretty well done in the anime, but it
      did leave out Minako's description of her friend acting like a wife
      whose husband is cheating on her. The onee-sama was going out with
      another girl, giving her presents all secretly. The friend knew it,
      but pretended she didn't. The friend cut her club activities in half,
      saying that it was too much for her.

      Minako also says that none of this has anything to do with the
      newspaper, and in fact, she's thinking of retiring.

      ***

      When Sachiko calls the next time to cancel, Yumi has many questions
      but doesn't ask any of them. Up to this point, Sachiko has to shoulder
      the blame, but at this point, Yumi is as culpable.

      ***

      The next day, Yumi is depressed, so of course she runs into Touko. She
      really doesn't like Touko and feels jealous of her.

      ***

      The next day, in the Rose Mansion, Sachiko's kind words only hurt
      Yumi. She's begun resenting Sachiko, and feels that onee-sama's words
      are sugar-coated, but empty.

      That day the teacher discusses the hydrangea and how it, because it
      changes color, it is also known as "capriciousness". She thinks, but
      the color is so lovely, why would anyone want to change it? -
      thinking of they hydrangeas on her umbrella. Then she thinks that
      Sachiko's feelings have changed.

      ***

      The scene in the Rose Mansion where Yumi asks for a new promise was
      done straight in the anime, but afterwards this was cut:

      Yumi goes out the back entrance to be able to see the hydrangeas – she
      notices that their color is already slightly different than they were
      in the morning. The rain is pounding down and she comes across Sei,
      huddling under a overhang. Sei asks Yumi to let her under her
      umbrella. Sei was standing in a place that is popular for sheltering
      from the rain.

      Sei asks Yumi if Shimako has changed. Sei had cut class the day
      before, but some classmates said that they saw someone who looked like
      Shimako near the college. Yumi realizes that Sei doesn't know about
      Noriko and then realizes that Sei had been hanging about waiting to
      ambush Shimako. ;-)

      Yumi thinks about how Sei has always been there to save her, every
      time she was depressed or upset.

      Sei asks if the cause of Yumi's depression is "tate roll" (the
      narrator's description of Touko's hair) and Yumi is surprised that Sei
      knows. Sei confesses that she had just seen Sachiko walk by with her a
      little while ago.

      While waiting for the bus, Sei asks Yumi to not abandon Sachiko.

      ***

      Saturday – Sachiko isn't at school. After the way they parted, Yumi
      doesn't want to see Sachiko, but the thought of her not being there
      at school makes Yumi a little lonely.

      Rei and Yoshino have reconciled. Shimako and Noriko are also happy.
      "Yellow and White, how nice for them."

      Touko *is* at school, which relieves Yumi a little, but she still
      feels bitter and suspicious.

      On the way home she stops at a convenience store to get butter
      (unsalted) for her mother. That's when her umbrella is taken. Done
      heartbreakingly well in the anime.

      ***

      Sunday when she calls Sachiko's house, her alibi is to apologize – NOT
      because she did anything wrong, but because she said too much.

      ***

      When Yumi meets Sachiko outside the shoe locker room, Yumi is ready to
      give the rosary back, but her hands are full and she can't reach it in
      her pocket. Sachiko tells Yumi that they have a lot to talk about, and
      takes a step forward, towards her. Yumi panics for no discernible
      reason, and steps backwards. She has mixed feelings – she's glad
      Sachiko waited to speak with her, but she's afraid that Sachiko wants
      to ask for the rosary back.

      As Yumi runs off, leaving Sachiko and Touko behind, she knows that she
      looks the picture of a emotionally wounded heroin from a drama, but
      she doesn't stop running. She runs past the statue of Mary to the
      front gate where a group of college students are gathered. Among them,
      she sees someone she knows. In the middle of all the gaudy colored
      umbrellas, one black men's umbrella.

      When Sei turns around to see Yumi running at her, so does a pink
      umbrella, a yellow one with blue dots and a checked pattern. Their
      owners all stop to watch the scene.

      Sei is considerably shaken by Yumi throwing herself at her. Yumi is
      too upset to explain coherently, so she just cries into Sei's chest.

      In the end, it was the fault of the rain that Sachiko drove off
      without a word – she couldn't see Yumi in the gloom and the haze of
      rain.

      Not the end. Thank god.
    • Iain
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
        Thanks for these. Very illuminating (and frustrating, I wish I could
        read the books for myself.)

        I'd intended to put off reading them until a flight to the UK at the end
        of this week, but I got caught up in the story and now need to find
        other reading material...
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain <khaer@m...> wrote:

          > Thanks for these. Very illuminating (and frustrating, I wish I could
          > read the books for myself.)

          I'm getting a bit masochistic about reading Japanese novels. These are
          relatively easy, as I have e-text versions to cut and paste quickly
          into online translators. But the last few I don't have e-books for and
          so they will take a much longer time to read - and they already take
          about a month or so each...

          So of course I went out and bought some of the R.O.D. novels in case
          the Matrix chip for Japanese becomes available and I can suddenly read
          fluently. :-) I'm pretty much set on reading for the next 18 months or
          so now, provided I do nothing else.