Re: Onna! and Yuri on Sequential Tart

  • shenotski
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
      Have fun at the con?
      > http://www.sequentialtart.com/cv_1105_5.shtml
      >
      > Onna!, Yuricon and Shoujocon are covered in "Revolutionary Girl Utena
      > is Watching Over You" this month on Sequential Tart. I found
      > Margaret's take fascinating - and I believe that I have now
      > discvovered that the quote I will go down in the books for is that
      > line about why yaoi is more popular than yuri. :-)

    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
        atheniag wrote:
        > http://www.sequentialtart.com/cv_1105_5.shtml
        >
        > Onna!, Yuricon and Shoujocon are covered in "Revolutionary Girl Utena
        > is Watching Over You" this month on Sequential Tart. I found
        > Margaret's take fascinating - and I believe that I have now
        > discvovered that the quote I will go down in the books for is that
        > line about why yaoi is more popular than yuri. :-)

        Heh. I wonder if all the "lesbian" adult video releases in Japan is a
        contributing factor to why yuri for guys isn't prevalent enough to get
        their own section in stores.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:

          > atheniag wrote:
          > > http://www.sequentialtart.com/cv_1105_5.shtml
          > >
          > > Onna!, Yuricon and Shoujocon are covered in "Revolutionary Girl Utena
          > > is Watching Over You" this month on Sequential Tart. I found
          > > Margaret's take fascinating - and I believe that I have now
          > > discvovered that the quote I will go down in the books for is that
          > > line about why yaoi is more popular than yuri. :-)

          > Heh. I wonder if all the "lesbian" adult video releases in Japan is a
          > contributing factor to why yuri for guys isn't prevalent enough to get
          > their own section in stores.

          I doubt it that it's a factor. There's simply not a large bulk of
          anime or manga being released as "yuri anime" or "yuri manga." We all
          know plenty of series with lesbian supporting roles, but there are
          comparatively fewer in which the main romance is lesbian.

          This is also true for in anime for yaoi Compared to the amount of BL
          manga, there's comparatively little BL anime out there.

        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
            On Nov 7, 2005, at 10:13 AM, atheniag wrote:

            Onna!, Yuricon and Shoujocon are covered in "Revolutionary Girl Utena
            is Watching Over You" this month on Sequential Tart. I found
            Margaret's take fascinating - and I believe that I have now
            discvovered that the quote I will go down in the books for is that
            line about why yaoi is more popular than yuri. :-)

            I thought your "If I like it, it's yuri" line from Tokyo was a better one. But, there was only one English journalist there.

            I'm not crazy about the use of the outdated shoujo-ai in the article or the old definitions. Aren't we trying to get people to stop using them?

          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
              I heard that the con was lots of fun. I was too worried about doomsday scenarios that never materialized to notice. ;)

              Have fun at the con?

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005

                > I thought your "If I like it, it's yuri" line from Tokyo was a
                better
                > one. But, there was only one English journalist there.

                Probably my best one-liner ever.

                > I'm not crazy about the use of the outdated shoujo-ai in the article

                > or the old definitions. Aren't we trying to get people to stop using

                > them?

                Yup. And the fact that I'm pretty much the subject expert on the topic
                doesn't seem to matter to people who will ignore my wisdom...they'll
                all have to go. :-)

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005

                  > I heard that the con was lots of fun. I was too worried about
                  > doomsday scenarios that never materialized to notice. ;)

                  Me too. And when it finally happened, I was mostly too tired to care.
                  :-) (and it had the decency to happen outside the hotel, so I didn't
                  have to.)

                  Best con I never saw any of....

                • kun
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                    >> I'm not crazy about the use of the outdated shoujo-ai in the article
                    >
                    >> or the old definitions. Aren't we trying to get people to stop using
                    >
                    >> them?
                    >
                    > Yup. And the fact that I'm pretty much the subject expert on the topic
                    > doesn't seem to matter to people who will ignore my wisdom...they'll
                    > all have to go. :-)

                    Psh.

                    Kelli