Firefox users / Yuricon Shop

  • Iain
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
      I've been very puzzled by the lack of anything but empty boxes in the
      Anime section of the Yuricon shop
      (http://www.yuricon.org/shop/anime.html) for a good while now. Yesterday
      I discovered that it wasn't empty at all, but a Firefox bug is causing
      it to appear so. I took the code, generated a reproducible case and
      submitted a problem report - only to find that it's working for the
      developers, which means that it probably won't be fixed.

      So I'd appreciate it if there are other Firefox users on the list,
      please go to http://www.yuricon.org/shop/anime.html and email me
      privately (iain@... or khaer@...) if you're having
      trouble seeing the page. (Each of the boxes should have text, image, and
      a buy from Amazon button. Under my browser they only have a couple of
      words of text and are otherwise empty.) If anyone else is seeing the
      same as me, I might be able to get a better test case so that the shop
      will work with the next browser release.
    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
        Iain wrote:

        > I've been very puzzled by the lack of anything but empty boxes in the
        > Anime section of the Yuricon shop
        > (http://www.yuricon.org/shop/anime.html)
        > <http://www.yuricon.org/shop/anime.html%29> for a good while now.
        > Yesterday
        > I discovered that it wasn't empty at all, but a Firefox bug is causing
        > it to appear so. I took the code, generated a reproducible case and
        > submitted a problem report - only to find that it's working for the
        > developers, which means that it probably won't be fixed.
        >
        > So I'd appreciate it if there are other Firefox users on the list,
        > please go to http://www.yuricon.org/shop/anime.html and email me
        > privately (iain@... or khaer@...) if you're having
        > trouble seeing the page. (Each of the boxes should have text, image, and
        > a buy from Amazon button. Under my browser they only have a couple of
        > words of text and are otherwise empty.) If anyone else is seeing the
        > same as me, I might be able to get a better test case so that the shop
        > will work with the next browser release.

        Works for me. I have version 1.0.7 of Firefox, also I did have noscript
        blocking yuricon, but even with that, I had no problems seeing the page.
        Have you upgraded Firefox? Maybe youre using some plugin thats
        interfereing with the display of the page?

        Ashley
      • Gary Jerram
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
          I have the same problem as you with 1.07 - I was able to fix it though
          by disabling Adblock.

          I've had a quick look in the filters [Tools - Extensions, select AdBlock
          and click Options] and this is one that's doing the blocking on my box:

          /(amazon\.\w+.*|barnesandnoble\.com/p.*)(.*www\.amazon|&search=|amb%5F(gw|skin)|amzban|cm\?t|marketing(/2|.+html)|promo|stripe?s?\W|tcg.*\.[gj])/

          Hopefully, this should sort your problem out!

          Cheers

          Gary

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain <khaer@m...> wrote:

            > So I'd appreciate it if there are other Firefox users on the list,
            > please go to http://www.yuricon.org/shop/anime.html and email me
            > privately (iain@i... or khaer@m...) if you're having
            > trouble seeing the page. (Each of the boxes should have text, image, and
            > a buy from Amazon button. Under my browser they only have a couple of
            > words of text and are otherwise empty.) If anyone else is seeing the
            > same as me, I might be able to get a better test case so that the shop
            > will work with the next browser release.

            Hi Iain -

            Just for the record, I test the shop (in fact, all the site) pages on
            IE, Opera and Firefox. It looks fine for me on Firefox, but I'm on a
            Windows system and it may be a operating system thing. Just to make
            sure, I have the anime page open now on Firefox and it looks fine
            (except for Amazon's wildly inconsistent sizing and naming issues
            which make the boxes look weird.)

            I don't have a Mac system in the house, but I know a few folks here
            have one - maybe they can check it out for you.

          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005

              On Nov 3, 2005, at 9:21 AM, atheniag wrote:

[...]

              Was that a hint? ;)

              With the official 1.4.x version of Firefox and the 1.5rc1 beta for Mac, the Yuricon shop page appears normally for me.

            • Iain
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
                atheniag wrote:

                > Just for the record, I test the shop (in fact, all the site) pages on
                > IE, Opera and Firefox. It looks fine for me on Firefox, but I'm on a
                > Windows system and it may be a operating system thing. Just to make
                > sure, I have the anime page open now on Firefox and it looks fine
                > (except for Amazon's wildly inconsistent sizing and naming issues
                > which make the boxes look weird.)

                Thanks, and to the other respondents. Maybe it's adblock, though I
                thought I'd disabled that. It doesn't seem to be the version - this has
                been happening through a few upgrades, and it's on Windows, but the page
                works fine for Firefox / Linux.
              • Iain
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Iain wrote:

                  > Thanks, and to the other respondents. Maybe it's adblock, though I
                  > thought I'd disabled that. It doesn't seem to be the version - this has
                  > been happening through a few upgrades, and it's on Windows, but the page
                  > works fine for Firefox / Linux.

                  It was adblock. Sorry for the extraneous traffic :).
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005

                    > > I don't have a Mac system in the house, but I know a few folks here
                    > > have one - maybe they can check it out for you.
                    >
                    > Was that a hint? ;)

                    Yes, actually. Well-done. :-)

                    > With the official 1.4.x version of Firefox and the 1.5rc1 beta for
                    > Mac, the Yuricon shop page appears normally for me.

                    Thanks for checking. :-)