RE: [Yuricon] More Aria thoughts

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2005
      >From: "Sean Gaffney" <sean@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] More Aria thoughts
      >Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:24:14 -0400
      >
      >The anime continues to take bits of various manga stories and cobble them
      >together
      >into a smooth flowing narrative. 3 does this particularly well, combining
      >Alice's first 2
      >stories with some Akari/Akatsuki shenanigans that take from several volumes
      >(we
      >actually see Akatsuki's brother meet Akari in a different context here.
      >Loved the
      >violence). This also lets us see Alice's jealousy over the closeness of
      >Akari and
      >Akatsuki, which pretty much dissolves as she falls under Akari's spell of
      >peace and
      >contentment.

      I'm still not entirely *comfortbale* with the wide spaces - it seems less
      like Venice and more like, I dunno, Hawaii, or something, especially as the
      water is very, very *blue*. But it's not hard to take the anime as its own
      entity with its own rules. For instance, I don't recall ever seeing the
      inside of Hime Company until very late in the manga, where in the anime you
      see it very early. And we've already seen many more other undine from Orange
      and Hime than we ever saw in the manga.

      The only real complaint I have - and it's not even very serious - is that
      Alice was a pushover in the anime. In the manga she retains her grumpiness
      alot longer. And her antisocial-ness stems more from feeling outcast than
      being outcast. The anime did a decent job of making her awkard and out of
      place - but lost the superiority complex she has in the manga. t makes her
      more likeable, but a little less like Alice. :-)