Mai HiME

  • Iain
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2005
      So with all the interest in Mai Otome, I decided I had to finally see
      the almost-prequel. Actually, I can't imagine why I haven't encountered
      it before. Virtually all of my favorite seiyuu in one place... that
      should have been enough of a clue that I'd love it. Yuuka Nanri as the
      evil HiME - yay!

      'Course, the Yuki Kajiura score should have been enough, given my
      addiction to her music. Why the *hell* haven't I picked this series up
      before? I don't understand it...

      I can't think I've ever seen a series that hit more anime cliches than
      this. Magical girls, transforming mecha-like creatures, androids,
      annoying brats, high school romances, melodrama, and young girl as the
      operation director (well, maybe she *was* 300 years old, but she was
      drawn like a silver-haired teenager. I kept expecting her to start
      crying for Sgt. Sagara.) Even ObPantsu.

      The odd thing was I didn't find the cliches got in the way, and I was
      completely hooked.

      I didn't expect it to become as bleak as it did around episode 18 and
      after. I did kinda see the ending coming, but I thought it was going to
      be artificial and unsatisfying, and I was wrong. I can certainly see
      what some of you have said about not being able to predict the writers.

      On topic: is the general feeling that Shizuru and Natsuki are together
      now? Natsuki was obviously creeped out at first, but after the death
      pact she seems to be less so - when Mai asks for her confirmation that
      love is good she's enthusiastic.

      Anyway, thanks all for the pointers. I'd have gotten to the series
      anyway in search of Kajiura-sama, but I should have done it sooner, and
      I'm looking forward to Mai Otome now.