Mai Otome 1 (Mild Spoilers)

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
      OK, Let the speculation start again. That was always the best part of Mai Hime, trying to figure where the writers were going to take us. And judging from the first episode, I think we may be in for more of the same. Which wasn't necessarily bad, but wasn't necessarily stellar, either. But it was highly entertaining and that's saying something.

      For old time's sake

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      Yuri? Well, given that most of the cast from Mai-Hime returns in alternate universe form, and then they added more girls, I'd say that based on sheer numbers we're bound to have a yuri couple or two.
      Natsuki and Shizuru are back, having graduated to the role of Very Important People who know what's really going on, but won't tell anyone. And Shizuru still rocks, with her kyoto-ben and mad skillz. If I were to objectively look at how their relationship was portrayed in the first episode without projecting anything from the first series, I would say it's too early to tell. They were very familiar with each other, but not anymore than two friends that have known each other for years should be.
      Haruka is back, though she only appears in the OP, but unfortunately Yukino is a boy this time around, so they're right out. Aoi and Chie are back as well, but only Aoi had an appearance in the first episode, and no sign of Miyu or Alyssa yet. Or Mai, or Midori, or Akira for that matter, but judging from the OP, they're saving Mai for a horribly important plot point later on.
      Of the main three girls, Arika, Nina and Mashiro, Nina has an Elektra complex for her adoptive father Sergey, who looks like Tate, Arika will develop some akogare for Shizuru. Mashiro, if she stays a girl, (in the Mai Otome manga, the original Mashiro was killed in the first page and a boy, her brother?, has to take her place, wackiness ensues.) I'd guess she might develop a one sided thing for either Nina or Arika.
      The manga is on par with the original Mai-Hime manga, meaning that the two media inhabit their own separate worlds and just share some basic plot points, but the manga does have more yuri fan service, so there's that.
      There are fansubs of this episode out already in the usual spots, but, I'll probably watching it raw first, because I'm impatient. ;) And I find that while I understand every fifth word and all the particles, it's getting easier to figure out what's going on. That and I'm not really familiar with any of the fansubbers coming out first.
      So, this, Blood +, Aria, and Jigoku Shoujo are looking like the front runners this season. I'll have to watch Nanoha A's later when someone decides to fansub it, as the Raws have been coming out in WMV9 and they don't like me.
      Anything else we should be watching? Anyone?
    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
        Chalcahuite wrote:

> [...]
        > The manga is on par with the original Mai-Hime manga, meaning that the
        > two media inhabit their own separate worlds and just share some basic
        > plot points, but the manga does have more yuri fan service, so there's
        > that.
        > There are fansubs of this episode out already in the usual spots, but,
        > I'll probably watching it raw first, because I'm impatient. ;) And I
        > find that while I understand every fifth word and all the particles,
        > it's getting easier to figure out what's going on. That and I'm not
        > really familiar with any of the fansubbers coming out first.
        > So, this, Blood +, Aria, and Jigoku Shoujo are looking like the front
        > runners this season. I'll have to watch Nanoha A's later when someone
        > decides to fansub it, as the Raws have been coming out in WMV9 and
        > they don't like me.
        > Anything else we should be watching? Anyone?

        Hmmmmmmm....... yes, I quite liked the first ep of Mai Otome, but Im not
        exactly sure the Yukino is boy-form in this series, she might appear
        later one... Although I agree that the guy looked alot like her =\ And
        where did Aoi and Chie show up? I didnt see them anywhere. Akane showed
        up in the ep as well, the one that rescued nina, the purple-haired girl
        and arika. :)

        Ashley
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005

          On Oct 12, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Ashley wrote:

          Chalcahuite wrote:

          *
          *
          *
          *
          *
          *
          *
          *
          *

          *
          *
          *
          *
          *
          *
          *

[...]

          Excellent, here we go.

          No, I'm pretty sure if Sergey's assistant was supposed to be generic they would have made him so. I suppose he could be Yukino's older brother and she pops up later in the series. But, I'm going to stick with my gut on this one and say he's Yukino in boy form.

          Chie show up in the OP as one of the otomes in training, she's not wearing glasses in this version, so that may be why you didn't spot her. Aoi was the maid that was holding Mikoto the cat and talking to Afro-sensei.

          -==-

          Serge

          http://ximatl.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005

            > So, this, Blood +, Aria, and Jigoku Shoujo are looking like the front
            > runners this season. I'll have to watch Nanoha A's later when someone
            > decides to fansub it, as the Raws have been coming out in WMV9 and
            > they don't like me.

            > Anything else we should be watching? Anyone

            I watched Nanoha A's. I watched Nanoha too, and was bored to tears
            throughout. I don't see this one being better. It's like, "Hey two
            magical girls and a sort of yuri-ish loli relationship if you squinted
            was successful! Let's add 400075739 other magical girls and it'll be
            even MORE successful!"

            Aria was nice. I really doubt we'll see any yuri, but its not really
            there in the manga either - just a sense that you *know* Akira and
            Alicia are lovers. :-) As Sean pointed out at Onna!, there were
            several things he wanted from the anime, and they were all there -
            including the stop-action shot of Alicia being too cool for the world.
            It was spiffy. :-)

            I watched Aria raw. Tonight I'll check out the sub.

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005

              > Excellent, here we go.
              > No, I'm pretty sure if Sergey's assistant was supposed to be generic
              > they would have made him so. I suppose he could be Yukino's older
              > brother and she pops up later in the series. But, I'm going to stick
              > with my gut on this one and say he's Yukino in boy form.

              Agreed. I thought the same when I saw him. OR, perhaps she's in
              disguise as a guy, which would not be unlikely in this gender-bendy
              series.

              > Chie show up in the OP as one of the otomes in training, she's not
              > wearing glasses in this version, so that may be why you didn't spot
              > her. Aoi was the maid that was holding Mikoto the cat and talking to
              > Afro-sensei.

              The cat. Gah. Mikoto was annoying, but as a cat I feel already that I
              have begun to loathe her very existence.

              What is WITH anime's inability to render an animal into anything like
              a realistic form? And the use of human voices who practically speak
              their sounds. Bleah, bleah, bleah.

              I like this Mashiro alot better than the wussy jerk from the manga.

              I wasn't sure I'd like Arika - in the manga I'm still on the fence,
              but I like the anime Arika alot already. But Shizuru now...they've
              upped her coolness factor a notch, which is good. If the relationship
              between she and Natsuki stays the same as the first series, or as in
              the manga (where she doth protest WAY too much for someone who seems
              to go off with Shizuru an awful lot) I think it'll be okay. BBut
              dammit, I'd really rather her be a willing partner.

              Ichigo Mashimaro
              Aria
              Blood
              Mai Otome
              Jigoku Shoujo
              Lyrical Nanoha A's (gag)

              This season isn't *quite* so bereft of possibilty as last. I'd still
              like to see something *good* as opposed to not bad, though.

            • Adam Jones
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:03:51 -0000, "atheniag"
                <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                > I watched Aria raw. Tonight I'll check out the sub.

                There's a sub? Any chance of a link, please? It sure doesn't
                seem to have appeared in any of the usual places (animesuki,
                tokyotosho, baka-updates) yet...
                .oO("I am 6'7" in my boots!!" )
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@y...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:03:51 -0000, "atheniag"
                  > <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I watched Aria raw. Tonight I'll check out the sub.
                  >
                  > There's a sub? Any chance of a link, please? It sure doesn't
                  > seem to have appeared in any of the usual places (animesuki,
                  > tokyotosho, baka-updates) yet...

                  Maybe I hallucinated it. I have a file on my HD...it might still be
                  the raw. I am a bit tired after Onna!.

                • Ashley OhArrigan
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005

                    > Ichigo Mashimaro
                    > Aria
                    > Blood
                    > Mai Otome
                    > Jigoku Shoujo
                    > Lyrical Nanoha A's (gag)
                    >
                    > This season isn't *quite* so bereft of possibilty as last. I'd still
                    > like to see something *good* as opposed to not bad, though.

                    My smtp doesnt want to accept my password so Im forced to post on the
                    actual community site >_>

                    So what is Jigoku Shoujo about? Im downloading it, but only on the
                    basis that erica is watching it/has watched it. hehe.

                    About Mai Otome:
                    D'OH! Why didnt I pick up on the Mikoto = Cat thing. lol. Youre probly
                    right about the Yukino thing... but I was trying have hope it wasnt.
                    :P Arika's voice is just bugging the hell out of me. lol

                    About Nanoha:
                    I didnt really care for Nanoha... it was unoriginal and a carbon copy
                    of CCS. Im sure there are people that will be flailing and saying Im
                    lying, but I didnt like it that much. CCS was much better and much
                    cuter... and Tomoyo, I like her... alot. hehe. The story lines in
                    Nanoha seemed like they were copied directly from the first few
                    episodes of CCS... the tree ep, the water ep.. everything. I think the
                    only thing they did different was give Nanoha a guy(?) who transforms
                    into a ferret that becomes her mentor... even her staff and outfits
                    are like Sakuras! Im not sure what Nanoha A's is like as I havent
                    developed the desire to download it.

                    I too would like the subbed Aria if there is such a thing. :) Atleast
                    Alicia's "well well well" bit isnt as annoying in the anime as it is
                    in teh manga

                    Ashley
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley OhArrigan" <dreamingxashley@g.
                      ..> wrote:

                      > So what is Jigoku Shoujo about? Im downloading it, but only on the
                      > basis that erica is watching it/has watched it. hehe.

                      I haven't. I'm dling it now on the basis that Serge mentioned it. And
                      Nota Mamiko (Ana in Ichigo mashimaro and Shimako in marimite) is the
                      lead.

                      I think we have a new super-seiyuu here.

                      > About Nanoha:
                      > I didnt really care for Nanoha... it was unoriginal and a carbon
                      copy
                      > of CCS.

                      With extra fanservice and a hentai game turned anime feel. Yeah

                      > I too would like the subbed Aria if there is such a thing. :)
                      Atleast
                      > Alicia's "well well well" bit isnt as annoying in the anime as it is
                      > in teh manga

                      And she's voiced by the seiyuu that did Layla Hamilton in Kaleido
                      Star. :-)

                    • Ashley OhArrigan
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                        So Ive watched both episodes that are up on tokyotosho... and its
                        REALLY weird. I liked it. lol Its a horror series, though its not
                        really horrific, its supernatural...

                        From what I get off animedb, at a certain site, at midnight every
                        night, you can enter grudge you have against someone, and these yomi
                        beings will come and take the person to hell. However, I dont think
                        theres any yuri anywhere in the series (atleast not that Ive seen),
                        and no implied yuri either. But I think it is a pretty interesting series.

                        Art is pretty nice, the characters are done well, and the music is
                        pretty good too, in places creepy, in others rock-ish.

                        And while I cant understand half of what their saying except names,
                        some words and particles lol, Ill give it 1 thumb up, and the other
                        thumb is reserved til I see a subbed version. ^_^

                        Ashley
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                          ..> wrote:

                          > So Ive watched both episodes that are up on tokyotosho... and its
                          > REALLY weird. I liked it. lol Its a horror series, though its not
                          > really horrific, its supernatural...

                          It feels alot like the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series did, with
                          creeping horror that isn't resolved pleasantly...or even resolved at
                          all.

                          The twist of the victim also having to go to hell is a nice one, but I
                          don't see too much chance for yuri, unless something fun happens. Then
                          again, VPM had plenty of yuri-goggle yuri. And chickens. I really hope
                          JS doesn't have chickens.

                        • Adam Jones
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                            <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                            > Aria was nice. I really doubt we'll see any yuri, but its not really
                            > there in the manga either - just a sense that you *know* Akira and
                            > Alicia are lovers. :-)

                            You'll love episode 2, then - it features an argument between Alicia
                            and Akira of the kind that can only end in thermonuclear tickling.

                            And then they quickly get rid of the two girls immediately afterwards...
                            (Sean, this is your cue. ;)
                            .oO("Mine looks fine. Enjoy." )
                          • Ashley
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                              Adam Jones wrote:

                              > On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:03:51 -0000, "atheniag"
                              > <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Aria was nice. I really doubt we'll see any yuri, but its not really
                              > > there in the manga either - just a sense that you *know* Akira and
                              > > Alicia are lovers. :-)
                              >
                              > You'll love episode 2, then - it features an argument between Alicia
                              > and Akira of the kind that can only end in thermonuclear tickling.
                              >
                              > And then they quickly get rid of the two girls immediately afterwards...
                              > (Sean, this is your cue. ;)
                              > --
                              > Adam Jones
                              > (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
                              > <http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/%29>
                              > .oO("Mine looks fine. Enjoy." )
                              > PGP public key: http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/pubkey.asc

                              I would love to know what the brown-haired girl was yelling at Alicia.
                              It was really quite to watch the interaction. hehe. President Aria (I
                              think thats his name), is adorable too, and has kitty-luf for that black
                              cat. =^.^=.

                              Ashley
                            • mellowrg
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                                Nanoha sucks until you meet Fate.

                                After that it becomes what it really is: a shounen fighting anime
                                disguised as mahou shoujo.

                                Do you believe that you must hurt in order to heal? Do you believe
                                that battles are another form of commnication? And most importantly,
                                do you love edgy well animated aerial battles?

                                If not, that it's not for you. But yeah, it's not a show for everyone.
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                                  > > You'll love episode 2, then - it features an argument between Alicia
                                  > > and Akira of the kind that can only end in thermonuclear tickling.
                                  > >
                                  > > And then they quickly get rid of the two girls immediately
                                  afterwards...
                                  > > (Sean, this is your cue. ;)

                                  Mine as well. We've both noticed the trend..."Hey girls, you go on an
                                  adventure. We'll wait here."

                                  > I would love to know what the brown-haired girl was yelling at Alicia.

                                  I haven't seen it, but my guess is that Akira was bitching that Alicia
                                  is too "amai." (Soft, sweet, pushover, etc.)

                                  > It was really quite to watch the interaction. hehe. President Aria (I
                                  > think thats his name), is adorable too, and has kitty-luf for that
                                  black
                                  > cat. =^.^=.

                                  Yes, the cats are President "fillinthecompanyname".

                                  Aria-shachou and Hime-shachou have a love hate relationship. Aria
                                  loves Hime and she loathes him.

                                • sean
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                                    >> I would love to know what the brown-haired girl was yelling at Alicia.
                                    >
                                    >I haven't seen it, but my guess is that Akira was bitching that Alicia
                                    >is too "amai." (Soft, sweet, pushover, etc.)

                                    The episode is actually a manga one this time (as opposed to the first), dealing with the chapter when Aika 'quits' and goes to live at Aria Company. It's Akira yelling at Alicia for doing the 'ara, ara' thing.

                                    --SG

                                    Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.centragarden.net
                                  • Adam Jones
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                                      On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:59:59 -0400, Ashley <dreamingxashley@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > I would love to know what the brown-haired girl was yelling at
                                      > Alicia. It was really quite to watch the interaction. hehe.

                                      I think the conversation went mostly like this (guessing from the
                                      manga):

                                      Akira: <rant>
                                      Alicia: Ara, ara, ara!
                                      Akira: "Ara, ara, ara" is prohibited!
                                      Alicia: <giggles>
                                      Akira: <giggling> is prohibited!
                                      Alicia: Ara, ara, ara!

                                      Lather, rinse, repeat... (Yes, Alicia is evil.)
                                      .oO("'Ulan Bator', not 'Microsoft Lan Manager'" )
                                    • Ashley
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                                        Adam Jones wrote:

                                        > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:59:59 -0400, Ashley <dreamingxashley@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I would love to know what the brown-haired girl was yelling at
                                        > > Alicia. It was really quite to watch the interaction. hehe.
                                        >
                                        > I think the conversation went mostly like this (guessing from the
                                        > manga):
                                        >
                                        > Akira: <rant>
                                        > Alicia: Ara, ara, ara!
                                        > Akira: "Ara, ara, ara" is prohibited!
                                        > Alicia: <giggles>
                                        > Akira: <giggling> is prohibited!
                                        > Alicia: Ara, ara, ara!
                                        >
                                        > Lather, rinse, repeat... (Yes, Alicia is evil.)
                                        > --
                                        > Adam Jones
                                        > (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
                                        > <http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/%29>
                                        > .oO("'Ulan Bator', not 'Microsoft Lan Manager'" )
                                        > PGP public key: http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/pubkey.asc

                                        Alicia might be ebil but shes so fun! hehe

                                        Thanks, all for the translation. :)

                                        Ashley.
                                      • Iain
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 14, 2005
                                          Ashley OhArrigan wrote:

                                          > And while I cant understand half of what their saying except names,
                                          > some words and particles lol, Ill give it 1 thumb up, and the other
                                          > thumb is reserved til I see a subbed version. ^_^

                                          Subbed now: http://anime.depthstrike.com/ayu/

                                          I haven't watched it yet, but I haven't seen any comments about yuri
                                          content from those who have.
                                        • gee pal
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 15, 2005
                                            --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley OhArrigan"
                                            > <dreamingxashley@g.
                                            > ..> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > So Ive watched both episodes that are up on
                                            > tokyotosho... and its
                                            > > REALLY weird. I liked it. lol Its a horror series,
                                            > though its not
                                            > > really horrific, its supernatural...
                                            >
                                            > It feels alot like the Vampire Princess Miyu TV
                                            > series did, with
                                            > creeping horror that isn't resolved pleasantly...or
                                            > even resolved at
                                            > all.
                                            >
                                            > The twist of the victim also having to go to hell is
                                            > a nice one, but I
                                            > don't see too much chance for yuri, unless something
                                            > fun happens. Then
                                            > again, VPM had plenty of yuri-goggle yuri. And
                                            > chickens. I really hope
                                            > JS doesn't have chickens.

                                            Yea, watched the 2 eps. Doesnt look like there's
                                            going to be any yuri. I am not letting my hopes get
                                            splattered again so I'd rather just say its not going
                                            to happen and if it does, it'll be a great happy
                                            surprise. I still like the anime. Art is good and
                                            the story line is more into my interests in anime so
                                            overall, its a good anime to watch.

                                            I am not sure if its okay to do this or not, so I'll
                                            just go ahead and ask and if I offend anyone, I
                                            apologize ahead of time.
                                            Does anyone know of any good shoujo ai/yuri manga
                                            (japanese raw) that I can buy here in California?
                                            I just finished a manga by Kyoko Ariyoshi titled
                                            Applause. I enjoyed it a lot and hope to read more of
                                            this kind. Any suggestion is welcome.
                                            Thanks

                                            __________________________________
                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          • Jk
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 16, 2005
                                              I dont live in California nor do I go to these stores.
                                              I buy mostly manga through jp amazon that are recomended by jp blogs.
                                              Most of the titles I got were good.
                                              sorry I couldnt help

                                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, gee pal <geepal@y...> wrote:
                                              -
                                              > I am not sure if its okay to do this or not, so I'll
                                              > just go ahead and ask and if I offend anyone, I
                                              > apologize ahead of time.
                                              > Does anyone know of any good shoujo ai/yuri manga
                                              > (japanese raw) that I can buy here in California?
                                              > I just finished a manga by Kyoko Ariyoshi titled
                                              > Applause. I enjoyed it a lot and hope to read more of
                                              > this kind. Any suggestion is welcome.
                                              > Thanks
                                              >

                                              > __________________________________
                                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                            • Ashley
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 16, 2005
                                                #6 is subbed, though I think most of the irc ppl know that now... but
                                                its really one of the more funny eps. Miu really has a warped
                                                personality, but its so much fun. I lol'ed at the last few minutes of
                                                the ep.

                                                I also downloaded YKK. Its really cute, but the way the OVAs play is a
                                                bit confusing, they look like they squished 4 separate eps into 2. So
                                                does anyone have a link to download the manga? :)

                                                Ashley
                                              • Adam Jones
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 16, 2005
                                                  On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:08:01 -0400, Ashley <dreamingxashley@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > I also downloaded YKK. Its really cute, but the way the OVAs play is
                                                  > a bit confusing, they look like they squished 4 separate eps into 2.
                                                  > So does anyone have a link to download the manga? :)

                                                  http://ykk.misago.org/ will get you most of it, and
                                                  http://www.cafealpha.org/ will get you the more recent bits. There's
                                                  rather a lot of reading for you there...
                                                  .oO("im a pizza god ,,,,,," )
                                                • Aaron the PK
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 21, 2005
                                                    I just wanted to point out that Sergie's assistant is actually another returning character from Mai HiME, and not Yukino.

                                                    Sunrise is having fun recycling characters from HiME.  The delegates in the meeting in episode two where from the first series and Nina was actually a minor character in HiME.

                                                    And apparently Yukino has been spotted, and she appears to be a female: