Re: [Yuricon] Re: What if Satoshi Urushibara did Sailor Moon?

  • Colin Mayhill
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2005
      > Since you seem to have some knowledge about this, that we are lacking,
      > please explain to us just *how* Sailor Moon isnt aimed at adults, and
      > how the original unmolested version was intended for children. :) Is it
      > because they are school-girls? If thats the case do you think that all
      > school-girl animes are meant for children?

      Determining the target market for something can be a tricky thing, as it's about who the producers intended it for, which sometimes doesn't come over very well, and can get confused by other issues. Also there's the problem kylandra mentioned: anime is made by Japanese people, and they have different ideas about what a given demographic will want and what is inappropriate for them.

      To me, it seems fairly obvious that Sailor Moon is child-oriented. Some reasons include that it has lots of bright colours and; a slowly developed plot; a strong sense of right and wrong; a repetetive episode structure; uncomplicated dialogue; and probably more besides. It does include things like death, love, lesbians, and the like, but none of that makes it an adult show.

      In short, it is overall a very simple show which makes every effort to be easy to understand and grab your attention. There's more to the show than just that, but it's subtle enough that if you don't understand it it doesn't get in the way.

      For contrast, consider something like Azumanga, Yokohama Kaishi Kikou, or Haibane Renmei, none of which have much of anything that can really be considered "adult" material, but they clearly aren't aimed at children.

      I wish I could give a simpler, more definitive explanation, but if there is one then I don't know it.

      Colin

    • Chris Davies
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2005
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Carmen DiProspero <cjd207@y...> wrote:
        >> What if Satoshi Urushibara got a hold of the Sailor
        > Moon series and did it his own creation?

        I'd walk around smiling way too broadly even more than I already do.

        Chris Davies.
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2005
          On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:32 PM, Carmen DiProspero wrote:

          What if Satoshi Urushibara got a hold of the Sailor
          Moon series and did it his own creation?

          Well, all the girls would be mostly, if not completely naked, shiny, and wet. There would be a lot less focus on the fighting and plot and more on the payapaya. It would already be hentai, so it would have spawned less hentai doujinshi. It would not have made nearly the kinda of scratch as the original. And we wouldn't be talking about it at all a decade later.

        • W. Suika Roberts
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 13, 2005
            On Oct 11, 2005, at 5:34 AM, Ashley wrote:
            [snippage]
            > Since you seem to have some knowledge about this, that we are lacking,
            > please explain to us just *how* Sailor Moon isnt aimed at adults, and
            > how the original unmolested version was intended for children. :)

            Easiest explanation: Look at the commercials aired with it originally
            in Japan ^_^

            I got several eps on VHS back in '95, from Japanese TV, with
            commercials.

            From memory there were commercials for:
            Wani-Wani Panic (smack the alligator game, with little boy and mother)
            Sailor Moon makeup sets (three different sorts, all with 5-9 year olds)
            Sailor Moon toys (also with little girls)
            I think there were Nakayoshi commercials too.

            There were others, but I don't remember them right now.

            I know I ripped them, so I'll look, and can put the commercials up if
            anyone's interested ^_^

            ja ne,
            Suika (who needs to rip the `Tomato No Hon' (tomato seeds, pot, and a
            stand for the plant in a book sized box. Complete with goofy blonde
            gaijin male in labcoat to sell it ^_^) commercials off the Dragonar
            tape ^_^)
            --
            ssfr@...
            The librarian you checked out is overdue. Please return her at once!
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 13, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "W. Suika Roberts" <sfr@g...> wrote:

              > On Oct 11, 2005, at 5:34 AM, Ashley wrote:
              > [snippage]
              > > Since you seem to have some knowledge about this, that we are lacking,
              > > please explain to us just *how* Sailor Moon isnt aimed at adults, and
              > > how the original unmolested version was intended for children. :)

              Once again - the original manga ran in Nakayoshi, a magazine targeted
              at girls of about 11 years of age.

              The anime was directed and produced by men, so it was bumped up in age
              a tad and rewritten a bit (something Takeuchi-sensei was never happy
              with.)

              As a general rule, whatever age the main
              characters/celebrities/subjects in a magazine will be about three
              years older than the target audience. So "Seventeen" magazine is
              mostly read by a 14-15 year old demographic. What 17-year old would be
              caught dead reading Seventeen? :-)

              So Usagi at 14 was meant to be read by 11-12 year olds.

              The sexiness (which is what you're seeing as an "adult" clue) isn't
              anything special. The original was written to be sexy and appealing,
              because unlike the western market, the assumption for manga is that
              women like their female characters to be attractive - and sexy - too.
              Sexy does not equal sex, so it does not equal "adult".

            • melissa_mccarthy@planet-save.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2005
                Suika said:
                > I know I ripped them, so I'll look, and can put the commercials up if
                > anyone's interested ^_^

                Yes please!

                My reply from about a week ago doesn't seem to have gone through (darn
                you, Yahoo), so... for the person who liked the Minako/Ami relationship,
                can you comment on why you found it a workable one? I always thought of
                Rei/Ami as the more realistic of the two myself.

                Melissa, completely out of the loop of the new shows (but SM is always a
                good standby!)

                Save rainforest for free with a Planet-Save.com e-mail account:
                http://www.planet-save.com