SM DVDs

  • Iain
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
      Jeyl wrote:
      >> I would encourage you to get a copy of the box set if you are able.
      >> It's worth the time and money.
      >>
      >> Thanks!!!
      >>
      >> Kath
      >

      > If you are referring to the ADV season sets, I must advise others not to
      > look into it. That set is so screwed up I couldn't even begin to
      > describe how awful the quality was.

      But then we're optionless. If I understand the history correctly, the
      only two versions are the Dic dub, which everyone seems to agree is
      horrible, and the ADV subtitled which is far from perfect but has a
      decent translation and doesn't rewrite the story. Unless there's another
      release, I'd say ADV was the better bet, since the fansubs are no longer
      available.

      (I've found French fansubs of S1 on gnutella, but since my French is
      little better than my Japanese, which is non-existent, that doesn't help
      me much :)
    • Jesse "Marduk" James
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005

        > But then we're optionless. If I understand the history correctly, the
        > only two versions are the Dic dub, which everyone seems to agree is
        > horrible, and the ADV subtitled which is far from perfect but has a
        > decent translation and doesn't rewrite the story. Unless there's another
        > release, I'd say ADV was the better bet, since the fansubs are no longer
        > available.

        Actually, now Pioneer holds the rights, I'm pretty sure. I own V6 of S4
        uncut from Pioneer (it was a random DVD the dollar store around here got
        in). I believe they are the ones releasing the uncut boxsets now.

        ~MardukZero
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain <khaer@m...> wrote:

          > > If you are referring to the ADV season sets, I must advise others
          not to
          > > look into it. That set is so screwed up I couldn't even begin to
          > > describe how awful the quality was.

          It was Pioneer, not ADV, who had the misfortune to once again be
          saddled with marketing something Toei threw at them of inferior
          quality.
          If I understand correctly, Pioneer was given no masters for their DVDs
          at all, and ended up having to use regular mass-produced tapes to work
          from.

          So, yes, the sound quality is bad.

          The translation isn't awful. Nor is it stellar. If it were being done
          today, I imagine that it would be marginally better.

          > But then we're optionless.

          The Stars season is still being digi-subbed, as are other seasons,
          that I don't want to know about, since Pioneer/Geneon still sells SM
          until they are sompletely sold out.

          However, Geneon let the license go, I imagine that more fansubbers
          will pick up the slack. I've seen some ign of this, but I don't know
          how those are.

          BTW - hello again everyone! Onna! is over and it was a raging success.
          I'll report later. Now I need a cup of tea. :-)

        • Iain
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
            atheniag wrote:

            > It was Pioneer, not ADV, who had the misfortune to once again be
            > saddled with marketing something Toei threw at them of inferior
            > quality.
            > If I understand correctly, Pioneer was given no masters for their DVDs
            > at all, and ended up having to use regular mass-produced tapes to work
            > from.

            ADV has the first two seasons. I'm confused as hell by the season naming
            convention (convention???), but it seems that ADV had the same issue -
            crappy masters, and no-one's happy with the results, but the only other
            option is the Dic mangled dub. After that, it does seem to be Geneon.

            > The Stars season is still being digi-subbed, as are other seasons,
            > that I don't want to know about, since Pioneer/Geneon still sells SM
            > until they are sompletely sold out.

            I've picked up most of these, but won't be watching them until I can get
            to them in sequence.

            > However, Geneon let the license go, I imagine that more fansubbers
            > will pick up the slack. I've seen some ign of this, but I don't know
            > how those are.

            That would be good news.

            > BTW - hello again everyone! Onna! is over and it was a raging success.
            > I'll report later. Now I need a cup of tea. :-)

            Looking forward to the report :)
          • Aaron Moen
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
              --- Iain <khaer@...> wrote:

              > atheniag wrote:
              >
              > > It was Pioneer, not ADV, who had the misfortune to
              > once again be
              > > saddled with marketing something Toei threw at
              > them of inferior
              > > quality.
              > > If I understand correctly, Pioneer was given no
              > masters for their DVDs
              > > at all, and ended up having to use regular
              > mass-produced tapes to work
              > > from.
              >
              > ADV has the first two seasons. I'm confused as hell
              > by the season naming
              > convention (convention???), but it seems that ADV
              > had the same issue -
              > crappy masters, and no-one's happy with the results,
              > but the only other
              > option is the Dic mangled dub. After that, it does
              > seem to be Geneon.
              >
              > > The Stars season is still being digi-subbed, as
              > are other seasons,
              > > that I don't want to know about, since
              > Pioneer/Geneon still sells SM
              > > until they are sompletely sold out.
              >
              > I've picked up most of these, but won't be watching
              > them until I can get
              > to them in sequence.
              >
              > > However, Geneon let the license go, I imagine that
              > more fansubbers
              > > will pick up the slack. I've seen some ign of
              > this, but I don't know
              > > how those are.
              >
              > That would be good news.

              not that I'm cerintly watching the sailer moon fan
              subs on my computer, but engelgroup duz have fan subs
              of the show. It looks like it is the same quality as
              the originel. That is, as far as I know. The subs are
              not that bad eether. I do not know if thay are dun
              with the show thow.

              > > BTW - hello again everyone! Onna! is over and it
              > was a raging success.
              > > I'll report later. Now I need a cup of tea. :-)
              >
              > Looking forward to the report :)

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Music Unlimited
              http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain <khaer@m...> wrote:

                I'm confused as hell by the season naming
                > convention (convention???),

                1st season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon/Sailor Moon

                2nd season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon R/Sailor Moon R

                3rd season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Super/Sailor Moon S

                4th season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon SuperS/Sailor Moon Super S

                5th season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Stars/Sailor Moon Stars

                I'm not sure there is a specific naming convention. Dragonball GT/Z/
                WTF, they all do that.

                Lyrical Nanoha A's...

              • Iain
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
                  atheniag wrote:
                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain <khaer@m...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I'm confused as hell by the season naming
                  >> convention (convention???),
                  >
                  > 1st season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon/Sailor Moon
                  >
                  > 2nd season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon R/Sailor Moon R
                  >
                  > 3rd season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Super/Sailor Moon S
                  >
                  > 4th season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon SuperS/Sailor Moon Super S
                  >
                  > 5th season - Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Stars/Sailor Moon Stars

                  Thanks. That's what I thought I'd figured out, but I haven't actually
                  seen it written down clearly yet. Plus although the first two seasons
                  are ADV, it seems that Geneon is Sailor Moon R movie, so I thought maybe
                  I'd miscounted.

                  > I'm not sure there is a specific naming convention. Dragonball GT/Z/
                  > WTF, they all do that.

                  I just don't see what's wrong with S1, S2, etc.:) I *guarantee* I will
                  lose track once season 2/2.5 or 3/4 of Marimite happen. S1/Haru already
                  drives me nuts.