Re: [Yuricon] Re: Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~

  • Niki
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      > What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
      > Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
      > into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
      > this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a he.

      Japanese doesn't use pronouns- they'll just be saying "Hazumu-chan
      this," "Hazumu-chan that," or maybe "that person blahblah." So it's
      really up to the translator and how familiar they are with
      transgenders, I guess.
      They keep just saying how he's 100% female now, and nothing can change
      that- have these people never heard of sex-changes? That's one of the
      most unbelievable aspects of this story, how easily most of them just
      shrug it off.

      Elae
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        >From: Niki <reignofstars@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~
        >Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:32:34 -0400
        >
        > > What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
        > > Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
        > > into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
        > > this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a
        >he.
        >
        >Japanese doesn't use pronouns- they'll just be saying "Hazumu-chan
        >this," "Hazumu-chan that," or maybe "that person blahblah." So it's
        >really up to the translator and how familiar they are with
        >transgenders, I guess.

        In this case, everyone continues calling Hazumu "Hazumu-kun" which is what
        they all called him when he was a boy. It's not that beyond the pale to use
        "-kun" for a girl, although its more likely for a guy.

        The scanlators need to pick a pronoun, because English isn't as conveniently
        vague as Japanese can be. :-)