Re: [Yuricon] Re: Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      mellowrg wrote:

      > Ooh...ooh.. let me try.
      >
      > I think Hazumu will end up with Yasuna after finally succumbing to her
      > boo hoo pity me routine. The final scene will probably be Hazumu
      > catching up to Yasuna just moments away before she boards her space
      > rocket or whatnot.
      >
      > Of course this is assuming Tonari doesn't counter with her "oh, but we
      > had a childhood promise! attack.
      >
      > Please let me be wrong on these.

      What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
      Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
      into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
      this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a he.

      I hope that they dont turn her back to a male, though it would sorta
      make sense, and I too am half expecting it. But as it is, Im really
      enjoying the silliness of it. :)

      Ashley
    • Niki
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        > What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
        > Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
        > into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
        > this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a he.

        Japanese doesn't use pronouns- they'll just be saying "Hazumu-chan
        this," "Hazumu-chan that," or maybe "that person blahblah." So it's
        really up to the translator and how familiar they are with
        transgenders, I guess.
        They keep just saying how he's 100% female now, and nothing can change
        that- have these people never heard of sex-changes? That's one of the
        most unbelievable aspects of this story, how easily most of them just
        shrug it off.

        Elae
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
          >From: Niki <reignofstars@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~
          >Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:32:34 -0400
          >
          > > What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
          > > Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
          > > into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
          > > this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a
          >he.
          >
          >Japanese doesn't use pronouns- they'll just be saying "Hazumu-chan
          >this," "Hazumu-chan that," or maybe "that person blahblah." So it's
          >really up to the translator and how familiar they are with
          >transgenders, I guess.

          In this case, everyone continues calling Hazumu "Hazumu-kun" which is what
          they all called him when he was a boy. It's not that beyond the pale to use
          "-kun" for a girl, although its more likely for a guy.

          The scanlators need to pick a pronoun, because English isn't as conveniently
          vague as Japanese can be. :-)