Re: Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~

  • mellowrg
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005

      > Hey thanks for the plug - and thanks for the link! It's a cute series,
      > not Ichigo Mashimaro cute, just sort of pleasant and dreamy. I have no
      > doubt that it eiter will not resolve when it ends, but for now it's
      > fun. :-)
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Erica (who also thinks that it will ultimately end with Hazumu being
      > retruned to male form and the whole story starting over with Tomari
      > and Yasuna competing for his attention. But that's probably just me.)

      Ooh...ooh.. let me try.

      I think Hazumu will end up with Yasuna after finally succumbing to her
      boo hoo pity me routine. The final scene will probably be Hazumu
      catching up to Yasuna just moments away before she boards her space
      rocket or whatnot.

      Of course this is assuming Tonari doesn't counter with her "oh, but we
      had a childhood promise! attack.

      Please let me be wrong on these.
    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        mellowrg wrote:

        > Ooh...ooh.. let me try.
        >
        > I think Hazumu will end up with Yasuna after finally succumbing to her
        > boo hoo pity me routine. The final scene will probably be Hazumu
        > catching up to Yasuna just moments away before she boards her space
        > rocket or whatnot.
        >
        > Of course this is assuming Tonari doesn't counter with her "oh, but we
        > had a childhood promise! attack.
        >
        > Please let me be wrong on these.

        What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
        Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
        into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
        this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a he.

        I hope that they dont turn her back to a male, though it would sorta
        make sense, and I too am half expecting it. But as it is, Im really
        enjoying the silliness of it. :)

        Ashley
      • Niki
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
          > What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
          > Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
          > into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
          > this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a he.

          Japanese doesn't use pronouns- they'll just be saying "Hazumu-chan
          this," "Hazumu-chan that," or maybe "that person blahblah." So it's
          really up to the translator and how familiar they are with
          transgenders, I guess.
          They keep just saying how he's 100% female now, and nothing can change
          that- have these people never heard of sex-changes? That's one of the
          most unbelievable aspects of this story, how easily most of them just
          shrug it off.

          Elae
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
            >From: Niki <reignofstars@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~
            >Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:32:34 -0400
            >
            > > What I want to know is, does everyone in the original Japanese refer to
            > > Hazumu as "he" or do they refer to her as a "she" (after being turned
            > > into a girl of course). Because its sorta bugging me that everyone in
            > > this subbed version keeps calling her a he, when Hazumu is no longer a
            >he.
            >
            >Japanese doesn't use pronouns- they'll just be saying "Hazumu-chan
            >this," "Hazumu-chan that," or maybe "that person blahblah." So it's
            >really up to the translator and how familiar they are with
            >transgenders, I guess.

            In this case, everyone continues calling Hazumu "Hazumu-kun" which is what
            they all called him when he was a boy. It's not that beyond the pale to use
            "-kun" for a girl, although its more likely for a guy.

            The scanlators need to pick a pronoun, because English isn't as conveniently
            vague as Japanese can be. :-)