Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from 8th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel - Second part

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
      >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>
      >To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from 8th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel -
      >Second part
      >Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:13:30 +0100

      >It will be interesting to see how Noriko learns to handle Shimako over
      >the course of the next few books (no, not that way you perverts) -
      >given how... flighty? detached?

      <snip>

      Shimako seems to be at times, I suspect
      >she'll require careful management by our little dark-haired bundle of
      >seething social resentment. ;)

      Detached, probably. Outsider more like. Because Noriko is also so outside I
      think (based on 9 pages of Novel 9) that there won't have to be much
      handling at all. They gel almost instantly with each other.

      Noriko is such a real person, that readers must have positively gasped with
      her normality after being inside Yumi's Lillian-trained head for so long.
      Noriko is us, looking around at Lillian and thinking "WTF?"
      A public school girl (in the American sense, not the British one) at a
      private school. She's not loving it right now.

      BTW - the big sakura tree in the middle of the gingkoes behind the
      auditorium? You know THE sakura tree...Noriko has heard a rumor that there
      is a dead body buried under it. <nod nod>

    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
        For those that watch the anime raw and subbed, Ichigo Mashimaro #4 has
        been subbed, and is up on Tokyotosho. :)

        Ashley
      • Iain
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
          Erica Friedman wrote:

          > >I do wonder about Shimako, though. I'm not convinced that she doesn't
          > >*want* to be Shiori. Sei's indifference hurts her. When she's reunited
          > >with Sei after her date with Rosa Canina she seems to have been very
          > >lost without Sei. It does seem like a more unbalanced partnership than
          > >the others.
          >
          > I am convinced that she is not hurt by Sei's attitude. In fact, I
          > think that
          > one of the things that Shimako treasures about Sei is her lack of
          > expectations. Although we have never seen her so, I believe that Shimako
          > feels terribly burdened by her and other people's expectations. Sei asks
          > nothing of Shimako except that she exist - excatly what Shimako wants
          > from
          > Sei. As long as they both know that the other is in the world, they are
          > content.

          Now that I've read your summary of First Date Triangle this makes more
          sense to me. I don't think this comes across in the anime. There's a
          lovely symmetry between the two being there for each other but choosing
          not to become too close.

          Is the First Date Triangle novel translated anywhere?

          > And, btw, that's *exactly* what Shizuka says to Shimako in The First Date
          > Triangle...so yay to Shizuka for really understanding them.

          Losing Shizuka with the third years disappointed me. I like her. Shimako
          remains my favorite, though :)

          --
          For a moment I feel the coldness
          Of everything that’s been taken away.