Notes from 8th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel - Second part

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
      “One Hand Entwined”

      This story is told in alternating 1st person, from Sei’s and Shimako’s
      points of view. There was very little different in the novel from the
      anime - just a few details here and there.

      ***

      Sei stands under the sakura tree, letting the flowers wash away the
      world.

      When the students call her “Rosa Gigantea” now, she’s not used to it â€"
      it’s not her title, its her onee-sama’s title. She doesn’t hate the
      students anymore, like she used to, but she still feels no connection
      to them.

      The first time Sei sees Shimako, she’s reminded of Shiori â€" they don’t
      look alike, there’s just something similar about them. Sei suffers a
      profound sense of déjà vu, as she feels the same way she did upon
      seeing Shiori for the first time.

      ***

      Shimako immediately wanted to learn more about Se. Her face, which
      looked like a carving, not terribly Japanese, had a look of grief
      which Shimako’s classmates find sexy.

      ***

      Yoshino was sent by the Yamayurikai to invite Shimako to the Rose
      mansion, because she was the only one who knew what Shimako looked like.

      ***

      It irks the daylights out of Sei that Youko understands her better
      than she understands herself. lol

      When Youko invokes Shiori’s name, Sei is repelled by Youko and demand
      sthat she not speak that name. Sei thinks that it would be a good goal
      to be able to forget Shiori, but knows she can’t â€" Shiori is her cross
      to bear.

      Youko says that she thinks that Sei and Shiori would have made bad
      soeur, but if they had just gone and become soeur, they might have
      been able to spend the next years accumulating good memories.

      Youko admits to being very surprised when Sei asked about Shimako â€"
      Sei had the same expression she had had when she had asked about Shiori.

      When Youko tells Sei that Shimako reminds her of Sei, Sei comments
      that if she’s like me, then she has my weak points. Youko responds, “I
      like your weak points.” Sei shoots back, “I hate your strong points.”

      As Youko disengages from this conversation, she comments lightly that
      she’d better leave or Sei really *will* hit her.

      ***

      Cut from the anime:

      After the above conversation, Eriko and Sei walk out of the Rose
      Mansion together. Eriko wonders if it was all right for her to have
      remained. Sei says that she thinks it was better that there was a referee.

      Sei asks Eriko what she should do. Eriko asks if it would really be
      that bad if Shimako helped the Yamayurikai out.

      ***

      Another cut scene!

      Youko finds Sei wandering the first-year’s hallway, fixing the
      first-year students collars and ties and generally touching them and
      making them blush. Youko call her out on this, but Sei just responds
      Youko’s the one whose always remind Sei about her duties, and
      upperclassmen are supposed to tell underclassmen about their collars
      or ties â€" she’s just being proactive.

      Youko complains â€" why are you fixing everyone’s ties?

      Sei shrugs â€" It would be unfair not to.

      Youko â€" Being conscious of equality isn’t like you.

      Sei - oh look, your tie needs to be fixed, too.

      Youko backs off.

      As they walk out onto the school grounds, Youko points out Shimako.
      Sei and Shimako lock eyes, and Sei feels "caught." (In the anime, Sei
      was by herself at this moment.) She's feeling self-conscious because
      Youko can see her reaction to Shimako.

      ***

      Youko confronts Sei to ask why she hasn’t invited Shimako to assist
      the YKK with the festival. Sei accuses Youko of becoming an unpleasant
      person. Sei thinks that Sachiko is a hypocrite, Rei is a fool and
      Yoshino is a braggart. But she tells Youko that’s she, Youko, is evil.

      Youko says that Shimako not joining the YYK would be a heavy loss…then
      comments that there are other ways to make sure it happens, Shimako
      could always just run for a position in the elections…

      ***

      Sei comes to a realization (satori) that Shimako is really her wish
      come true â€" someone who understands her, a replacement for Shiori for
      whom she can care, but not desire. Shiori was an angel and therefore,
      they couldn’t ever be together. But Shimako is human and Sei can
      remain separate from her. And that, she concludes, would be nice.

      ***

      At a YKK meeting one day, quite suddenly, Sei calls Shimako “Shimako”
      with no honorific. Soon everyone follows suit. For the first time, Sei
      begins to enjoy the idea of a “Rose Family” and she starts to forget
      her unhappiness and discomfort.

      ***

      Shimako sees Sei with Goronta and asks her f she likes animals. When
      Sei says yes, Shimako wonders to herself is humans are included in that.

      ***

      When Sei finally asks (commands, really) Shimako to be her soeur, more
      than the request, it’s the look of loneliness in Sei’s eyes that makes
      Shimako say yes.

      After Shimako agrees, Sei tells her that she’s too serious. Shimako
      tells Sei that she is too insincere.

      When Shimako says the word “Onee-sama,” it reverberates inside her.
      And she apologizes internally to Sachiko and to all the Rosa Gigantea
      fans, because she needs this person in her life.

      The End
    • Zyl
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
        Erica, many thanks for, once again, sharing your
        summaries and thoughts on the marimite novels. The
        Sei-Shimako relationship has always been a difficult
        one for me to fully grasp (though I also like it for
        its complexity) but your explanation quoted below has
        really got me to see the essential points.

        Btw, everytime I see the YKK abbreviation, I just
        can't help but think of the YKK company which seems to
        have a monopoly on zippers!

        Cheers,
        Zyl

        p.s. How many of you checked your zippers after
        reading that last bit? :P

        --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        Sei comes to a realization (satori) that Shimako is
        really her wish
        come true â€" someone who understands her, a
        replacement for Shiori for
        whom she can care, but not desire. Shiori was an angel
        and therefore,
        they couldn’t ever be together. But Shimako is human
        and Sei can
        remain separate from her. And that, she concludes,
        would be nice.

        ***

        At a YKK meeting one day, quite suddenly, Sei calls
        Shimako “Shimako”
        with no honorific. Soon everyone follows suit. For the
        first time, Sei
        begins to enjoy the idea of a “Rose Family” and
        she starts to forget
        her unhappiness and discomfort.

        __________________________________
        Meet your soulmate!
        Yahoo! Asia presents Meetic - where millions of singles gather
        http://asia.yahoo.com/meetic
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Zyl <thoelzyl@y...> wrote:

          > Erica, many thanks for, once again, sharing your
          > summaries and thoughts on the marimite novels. The
          > Sei-Shimako relationship has always been a difficult
          > one for me to fully grasp (though I also like it for
          > its complexity) but your explanation quoted below has
          > really got me to see the essential points.

          Thank you! I'm really glad people think its worth reading. I keep
          wondering if anyone cares. LOL

          Oh, but you'll all love me when I get to the non-anime novels, I know,
          I know. :-)

          I also feel like I have a much better grasp of Sei and Shimako now, as
          individuals and as souer. As the next novel starts right in in
          Noriko's cynical brain, I'm already adoring her. :-)

          > Btw, everytime I see the YKK abbreviation, I just
          > can't help but think of the YKK company which seems to
          > have a monopoly on zippers!

          Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I hate when I type YKK for YYK. lol

        • Iain
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
            atheniag wrote:

            > Thank you! I'm really glad people think its worth reading. I keep
            > wondering if anyone cares. LOL

            Count me another who found the analysis very useful. Sei / Shimako was
            probably the most puzzling pairing of all to me. I've only seen the
            anime. Sei seems to care very much for Shimako, but at the same time is
            quite indifferent to her in many ways. There's one scene where she's all
            over Yumi, and Sachiko (I think) asks why she doesn't treat her own
            soeur that way. Sei looks puzzled, as though the idea's completely
            outside her relationship with Shimako.

            > Sei comes to a realization (satori) that Shimako is really her wish
            > come true â€" someone who understands her, a replacement for Shiori for
            > whom she can care, but not desire.

            Which makes sense of it. I'd seen Shimako as a replacement for Shiori,
            and couldn't understand why Sei remained distant.

            I do wonder about Shimako, though. I'm not convinced that she doesn't
            *want* to be Shiori. Sei's indifference hurts her. When she's reunited
            with Sei after her date with Rosa Canina she seems to have been very
            lost without Sei. It does seem like a more unbalanced partnership than
            the others.

            --
            For a moment I feel the coldness
            Of everything that’s been taken away.
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
              > Thank you! I'm really glad people think its worth reading. I keep
              > wondering if anyone cares. LOL

              I wouldn't worry about that. As long as you continue to find them worth writing, I'm sure plenty of us will find them worth reading, myself included. I'm still a long way from being able to read them myself, after all. Damned kanji ...

              Now be good and read those other books for us, so we can all enjoy them vicariously.

              Colin

            • Adam Jones
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:07:09 -0000, "atheniag"
                <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                > I also feel like I have a much better grasp of Sei and Shimako now,
                > as individuals and as souer. As the next novel starts right in in
                > Noriko's cynical brain, I'm already adoring her. :-)

                It will be interesting to see how Noriko learns to handle Shimako over
                the course of the next few books (no, not that way you perverts) -
                given how... flighty? detached? Shimako seems to be at times, I suspect
                she'll require careful management by our little dark-haired bundle of
                seething social resentment. ;)
                .oO("a lot of fun for your hand!!!!" )
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                  >From: "Colin Mayhill" <colinmayhill@...>
                  >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from 8th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel -
                  >Second part
                  >Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:41:20 +0100
                  >
                  > > Thank you! I'm really glad people think its worth reading. I keep
                  > > wondering if anyone cares. LOL
                  > >
                  >I wouldn't worry about that. As long as you continue to find them worth
                  >writing, I'm sure plenty of us will find them worth reading, myself
                  >included. I'm still a long way from being able to read them myself, after
                  >all. Damned kanji ...
                  >
                  >Now be good and read those other books for us, so we can all enjoy them
                  >vicariously.

                  I've already begun Novel 9, but with Onna! around the corner, I believe that
                  I won't have *too* much time in the near future. :-)

                  And thank you. It's nice to know someone cares. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                    From: Iain <khaer@...>
                    >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from 8th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel -
                    >Second part
                    >Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:04:24 -0500

                    >I do wonder about Shimako, though. I'm not convinced that she doesn't
                    >*want* to be Shiori. Sei's indifference hurts her. When she's reunited
                    >with Sei after her date with Rosa Canina she seems to have been very
                    >lost without Sei. It does seem like a more unbalanced partnership than
                    >the others.

                    I am convinced that she is not hurt by Sei's attitude. In fact, I think that
                    one of the things that Shimako treasures about Sei is her lack of
                    expectations. Although we have never seen her so, I believe that Shimako
                    feels terribly burdened by her and other people's expectations. Sei asks
                    nothing of Shimako except that she exist - excatly what Shimako wants from
                    Sei. As long as they both know that the other is in the world, they are
                    content.

                    And, btw, that's *exactly* what Shizuka says to Shimako in The First Date
                    Triangle...so yay to Shizuka for really understanding them.

                    "Rosa Gigantea does exist, and so, we are both happy."

                    "Yes."

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                      >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>
                      >To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from 8th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel -
                      >Second part
                      >Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:13:30 +0100

                      >It will be interesting to see how Noriko learns to handle Shimako over
                      >the course of the next few books (no, not that way you perverts) -
                      >given how... flighty? detached?

                      <snip>

                      Shimako seems to be at times, I suspect
                      >she'll require careful management by our little dark-haired bundle of
                      >seething social resentment. ;)

                      Detached, probably. Outsider more like. Because Noriko is also so outside I
                      think (based on 9 pages of Novel 9) that there won't have to be much
                      handling at all. They gel almost instantly with each other.

                      Noriko is such a real person, that readers must have positively gasped with
                      her normality after being inside Yumi's Lillian-trained head for so long.
                      Noriko is us, looking around at Lillian and thinking "WTF?"
                      A public school girl (in the American sense, not the British one) at a
                      private school. She's not loving it right now.

                      BTW - the big sakura tree in the middle of the gingkoes behind the
                      auditorium? You know THE sakura tree...Noriko has heard a rumor that there
                      is a dead body buried under it. <nod nod>

                    • Ashley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
                        For those that watch the anime raw and subbed, Ichigo Mashimaro #4 has
                        been subbed, and is up on Tokyotosho. :)

                        Ashley
                      • Iain
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
                          Erica Friedman wrote:

                          > >I do wonder about Shimako, though. I'm not convinced that she doesn't
                          > >*want* to be Shiori. Sei's indifference hurts her. When she's reunited
                          > >with Sei after her date with Rosa Canina she seems to have been very
                          > >lost without Sei. It does seem like a more unbalanced partnership than
                          > >the others.
                          >
                          > I am convinced that she is not hurt by Sei's attitude. In fact, I
                          > think that
                          > one of the things that Shimako treasures about Sei is her lack of
                          > expectations. Although we have never seen her so, I believe that Shimako
                          > feels terribly burdened by her and other people's expectations. Sei asks
                          > nothing of Shimako except that she exist - excatly what Shimako wants
                          > from
                          > Sei. As long as they both know that the other is in the world, they are
                          > content.

                          Now that I've read your summary of First Date Triangle this makes more
                          sense to me. I don't think this comes across in the anime. There's a
                          lovely symmetry between the two being there for each other but choosing
                          not to become too close.

                          Is the First Date Triangle novel translated anywhere?

                          > And, btw, that's *exactly* what Shizuka says to Shimako in The First Date
                          > Triangle...so yay to Shizuka for really understanding them.

                          Losing Shizuka with the third years disappointed me. I like her. Shimako
                          remains my favorite, though :)