Re: Digest Number 1588

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2005

      > "...as opposed to that of someone else, who created a word to
      protect herself (and other women) from... "pervy lesbians". :-)

      The quote above may have been abridged in the interest of keeping
      quotes down to a managable size.

      ^_^

      > Let's call shoujaoi and shounenai what they are - outdated terms.
      > Yaoi and Yuri will, as genres, be around for a while and that's the
      > important thing.

      Maybe we can just dump the whole yaoi and yuri thing, and just file
      the whole thing under "queer"? ^_^

      http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/BB/

      sub-group label elimination is all well and good, but I'm sure there's
      some happy people out there who may just like to read a nice fluffy
      yarn with maybe the odd girly kiss, as opposed to opening up a book
      and getting all that sticky, nekked, drooling stuff.

      Anyway, until the term "yuri" is pushed aside for the cooler, more
      fashionable term ("Sei"), enjoy the glory days as Yuri Grande.

      ^_^

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
    • unclero@lycos.nl
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2005
        > That, and the fact that shounenai is now considered to be a term that
        > refers to child porn in Japan.
        >
        > It may not seem important to keep up to date on such terms, until you
        > go into a store and ask for the shounenai doujinshi, only to be
        > asked, politely, to leave the country...now. :-)

        Ahhh... *bangs head against wall*

        So that's why those people I was talking with during a party at the Japanese
        embassy, looked as if they were witnessing burning water...

        I don't think I can ever apply for a visa anymore >_<;;;;;;.

        - Uncle Ro'
      • Jesse "Marduk" James S.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
          unclero@... wrote:

          > > That, and the fact that shounenai is now considered to be a term that
          > > refers to child porn in Japan.
          > >
          > > It may not seem important to keep up to date on such terms, until you
          > > go into a store and ask for the shounenai doujinshi, only to be
          > > asked, politely, to leave the country...now. :-)

          It's ironic and quite inconvinient when there's a shift in meaning for a
          term in it's area of origin, but this shift isn't largely known in other
          areas using the term (or those areas have their own usage that from the
          start somewhat diverged from the original meaning; and then there's a
          shift; and then there's connonations and implications and nuances
          and--oh, Lord, I seem to have gone cross-eyed.)

          Like otaku. It seems to me that the term's evolving similarly to 'geek'
          in the US; starting to loosen it's creepier connonations (more slowly,
          though....most people nowadays don't even remember that a geek was the
          dude in a side show who bit off chicken heads; but I digress) and become
          more of a term usable in a prideful manner. Someone who knows; am I
          [anywhere near] right? It just seemed that way to me. Or so Genshiken
          would lead one to believe >.>......XD

          ~MardukZero
          -Can we go to the place where we're forgiven?-