Re: [Yuricon] Digest Number 1588

  • Trishane Lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7 4:06 AM
      When I buy manga they tend to have Shounen-ai and Shoujo-ai printed on the binding so that is how I refer to them when catorigaizing them

      Johann Chua <johannchua@...> wrote:
      On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 09:00 -0700, Claude Smith wrote:
      > These phrases have come into use in Western fandom for use
      > in describing these pairings and relationships, and it
      > seems odd for us to judge them by the official Japanese
      > usage. Our own use of them (however incorrect by "real"
      > standards) has its own legitimacy.

      The problem is that they're not even widely used enough to be considered
      part of English.  English is lingua franca so other languages making use
      of non-standard English is to be expected, never mind all the various
      Englishes in use around the world.

      Japanese is the official language in just one country so it's best to
      stay true to the source.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Jen
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7 4:58 AM

        > "...as opposed to that of someone else, who created a word to
        protect herself (and other women) from... "pervy lesbians". :-)

        The quote above may have been abridged in the interest of keeping
        quotes down to a managable size.

        ^_^

        > Let's call shoujaoi and shounenai what they are - outdated terms.
        > Yaoi and Yuri will, as genres, be around for a while and that's the
        > important thing.

        Maybe we can just dump the whole yaoi and yuri thing, and just file
        the whole thing under "queer"? ^_^

        http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/BB/

        sub-group label elimination is all well and good, but I'm sure there's
        some happy people out there who may just like to read a nice fluffy
        yarn with maybe the odd girly kiss, as opposed to opening up a book
        and getting all that sticky, nekked, drooling stuff.

        Anyway, until the term "yuri" is pushed aside for the cooler, more
        fashionable term ("Sei"), enjoy the glory days as Yuri Grande.

        ^_^

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen
      • unclero@lycos.nl
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7 11:43 PM
          > That, and the fact that shounenai is now considered to be a term that
          > refers to child porn in Japan.
          >
          > It may not seem important to keep up to date on such terms, until you
          > go into a store and ask for the shounenai doujinshi, only to be
          > asked, politely, to leave the country...now. :-)

          Ahhh... *bangs head against wall*

          So that's why those people I was talking with during a party at the Japanese
          embassy, looked as if they were witnessing burning water...

          I don't think I can ever apply for a visa anymore >_<;;;;;;.

          - Uncle Ro'
        • Jesse "Marduk" James S.
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9 9:06 AM
            unclero@... wrote:

            > > That, and the fact that shounenai is now considered to be a term that
            > > refers to child porn in Japan.
            > >
            > > It may not seem important to keep up to date on such terms, until you
            > > go into a store and ask for the shounenai doujinshi, only to be
            > > asked, politely, to leave the country...now. :-)

            It's ironic and quite inconvinient when there's a shift in meaning for a
            term in it's area of origin, but this shift isn't largely known in other
            areas using the term (or those areas have their own usage that from the
            start somewhat diverged from the original meaning; and then there's a
            shift; and then there's connonations and implications and nuances
            and--oh, Lord, I seem to have gone cross-eyed.)

            Like otaku. It seems to me that the term's evolving similarly to 'geek'
            in the US; starting to loosen it's creepier connonations (more slowly,
            though....most people nowadays don't even remember that a geek was the
            dude in a side show who bit off chicken heads; but I digress) and become
            more of a term usable in a prideful manner. Someone who knows; am I
            [anywhere near] right? It just seemed that way to me. Or so Genshiken
            would lead one to believe >.>......XD

            ~MardukZero
            -Can we go to the place where we're forgiven?-