Re: OT: shonen-ai (was New anime on Adult Swim - Naruto)

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
      wrote:

      > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
      > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
      > Disregard.

      LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
      second-hand, I'd agree with you.

      The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
      when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
      the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

      > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

      I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
      with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
      because I actually think to do research, but stil...

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
        >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

        >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
        >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

        Hi Marina -

        Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
        "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

        Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

        Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

        You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
        and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
        the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
        at this moment..)

        (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)