Re: OT: shonen-ai (was New anime on Adult Swim - Naruto)

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

      > No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan.
      > http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

      I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
      American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
      Disregard.

      ^_^

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen

      P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^
    • digiultrarat
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

        > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something
        that
        > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
        > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
        > that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
        > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
        > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
        > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?
        >
        > Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
        > watching it anyway heh.
        >
        > Ashley

        Naruto is actually in the Toonami block, Not adult swim. Indicating
        they do intend it to be aimed at Boys Tweens and not at the male 18-34
        range that adult swim caters to.

        Also They're just airing the Vision of Escaflowne movie. So no
        danger of it being the edited Fox dub. But the movie has less of a
        shoujo feel to it than the series does.
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
          wrote:

          > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
          > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
          > Disregard.

          LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
          second-hand, I'd agree with you.

          The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
          when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
          the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

          > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

          I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
          with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
          because I actually think to do research, but stil...

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
            >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

            >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
            >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

            Hi Marina -

            Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
            "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

            Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

            Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

            You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
            and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
            the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
            at this moment..)

            (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)