Re: [Yuricon] New anime on Adult Swim - Naruto

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
      Honestly, skip the anime and go straight to the manga, it's much better.

      On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
      --- Regina Buenaobra <sr388x@...> wrote:

      > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
      > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
      > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
      > > > Naruto at 9pm...
      > >
      > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub.  Am I alone in
      > wondering
      > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
      > >
      > > Craig
      >
      > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
      > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
      > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
      > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
      >
      > Regina

      If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time.  if your
      watching
      it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
      truckload of that in there.  If your watching it for normal anime stuff, be
      warned
      that this show moves at the pace of Dragon Ball Z (fight scenes last five
      episodes and have six flashbacks) but the characters have a lot more depth.

      I've  watched 40 episodes and I am looking forward to trying to see some
      more.

      Craig

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/cGIolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      People with thick eyebrows need love too!
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
        >Craig
        >
        >PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
        >two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

        No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan. It does
        NOT correspond to the now completely out of use term "shounenai."

        Craig - Go check the glossary on the Onna! website again. You're outdated.
        (And since I've already corrected you on this a couple of times, next time,
        just send folks a link to that page:
        http://www.onnafest.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=78

        or the Yuricon Essays page "What is Yuri?" at
        http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

        Shounenai is used only in Japan for adult males who like boys. Yaoi is being
        phased out in preference for "Boy's Love" in English.

        Yuri is the preferred term for all representations of f/f affection at this
        point.

      • Jen
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

          > No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan.
          > http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

          I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
          American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
          Disregard.

          ^_^

          Kisses XXOOXX
          Jen

          P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^
        • digiultrarat
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

            > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something
            that
            > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
            > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
            > that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
            > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
            > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
            > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?
            >
            > Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
            > watching it anyway heh.
            >
            > Ashley

            Naruto is actually in the Toonami block, Not adult swim. Indicating
            they do intend it to be aimed at Boys Tweens and not at the male 18-34
            range that adult swim caters to.

            Also They're just airing the Vision of Escaflowne movie. So no
            danger of it being the edited Fox dub. But the movie has less of a
            shoujo feel to it than the series does.
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
              wrote:

              > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
              > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
              > Disregard.

              LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
              second-hand, I'd agree with you.

              The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
              when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
              the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

              > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

              I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
              with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
              because I actually think to do research, but stil...

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
                >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

                Hi Marina -

                Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
                "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

                Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

                Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

                You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
                and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
                the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
                at this moment..)

                (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)