Re: [Yuricon] New anime on Adult Swim - Naruto

  • M. Coleridge
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
      I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
      coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
      with.

      Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
      recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
      -Marina

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
        Shounen-ai is "boys-love," close platonic love between two young pretty
        boys. Shounen-ai is (usually) written for women by women. Shounen-ai
        doesn't have much to do with Yuri usually. However, there was a Shonen-ai
        title recently that had a substantal yuri subplot (Loveless). A yuri title
        that had a shonen-ai subplot was the Sailor Moon R Special.

        Hope this helps!

        Craig

        PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
        two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

        --- "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...> wrote:

        > I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
        > coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
        > with.
        >
        > Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
        > recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
        > -Marina
        >
        > > If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
        > > watching
        > > it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
        > > truckload of that in there.
      • Katie
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
          Honestly, skip the anime and go straight to the manga, it's much better.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/cGIolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          People with thick eyebrows need love too!
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
            >Craig
            >
            >PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
            >two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

            No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan. It does
            NOT correspond to the now completely out of use term "shounenai."

            Craig - Go check the glossary on the Onna! website again. You're outdated.
            (And since I've already corrected you on this a couple of times, next time,
            just send folks a link to that page:
            http://www.onnafest.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=78

            or the Yuricon Essays page "What is Yuri?" at
            http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

            Shounenai is used only in Japan for adult males who like boys. Yaoi is being
            phased out in preference for "Boy's Love" in English.

            Yuri is the preferred term for all representations of f/f affection at this
            point.

          • Jen
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

              > No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan.
              > http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

              I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
              American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
              Disregard.

              ^_^

              Kisses XXOOXX
              Jen

              P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^
            • digiultrarat
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something
                that
                > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
                > that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
                > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
                > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
                > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?
                >
                > Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
                > watching it anyway heh.
                >
                > Ashley

                Naruto is actually in the Toonami block, Not adult swim. Indicating
                they do intend it to be aimed at Boys Tweens and not at the male 18-34
                range that adult swim caters to.

                Also They're just airing the Vision of Escaflowne movie. So no
                danger of it being the edited Fox dub. But the movie has less of a
                shoujo feel to it than the series does.
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                  > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                  > Disregard.

                  LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
                  second-hand, I'd agree with you.

                  The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
                  when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
                  the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

                  > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

                  I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
                  with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
                  because I actually think to do research, but stil...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                    >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
                    >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                    >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                    >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

                    Hi Marina -

                    Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
                    "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

                    Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

                    Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

                    You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
                    and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
                    the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
                    at this moment..)

                    (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)