Re: [Yuricon] New anime on Adult Swim - Naruto

  • Regina Buenaobra
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
      On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
      > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
      >
      > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
      > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
      > > Naruto at 9pm...
      >
      > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in wondering
      > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
      >
      > Craig

      I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
      episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
      billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
      the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?

      Regina
    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
        Regina Buenaobra wrote:

        > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
        > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast
        > something that
        > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
        > > > Naruto at 9pm...
        > >
        > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in
        > wondering
        > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
        > >
        > > Craig
        >
        > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
        > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
        > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
        > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
        >
        > Regina

        Inu Yasha is the same way, 5 or 6 seasons worth of anime, with bunches
        of filler eps, and about 4 movies.

        Ashley
      • Resop
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
          --- Regina Buenaobra <sr388x@...> wrote:

          > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
          > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
          > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
          > > > Naruto at 9pm...
          > >
          > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in
          > wondering
          > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
          > >
          > > Craig
          >
          > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
          > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
          > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
          > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
          >
          > Regina

          If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
          watching
          it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
          truckload of that in there. If your watching it for normal anime stuff, be
          warned
          that this show moves at the pace of Dragon Ball Z (fight scenes last five
          episodes and have six flashbacks) but the characters have a lot more depth.

          I've watched 40 episodes and I am looking forward to trying to see some
          more.

          Craig
        • M. Coleridge
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
            I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
            coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
            with.

            Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
            recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
            -Marina

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
              Shounen-ai is "boys-love," close platonic love between two young pretty
              boys. Shounen-ai is (usually) written for women by women. Shounen-ai
              doesn't have much to do with Yuri usually. However, there was a Shonen-ai
              title recently that had a substantal yuri subplot (Loveless). A yuri title
              that had a shonen-ai subplot was the Sailor Moon R Special.

              Hope this helps!

              Craig

              PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
              two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

              --- "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...> wrote:

              > I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
              > coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
              > with.
              >
              > Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
              > recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
              > -Marina
              >
              > > If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
              > > watching
              > > it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
              > > truckload of that in there.
            • Katie
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                Honestly, skip the anime and go straight to the manga, it's much better.

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/cGIolB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                People with thick eyebrows need love too!
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                  >Craig
                  >
                  >PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
                  >two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

                  No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan. It does
                  NOT correspond to the now completely out of use term "shounenai."

                  Craig - Go check the glossary on the Onna! website again. You're outdated.
                  (And since I've already corrected you on this a couple of times, next time,
                  just send folks a link to that page:
                  http://www.onnafest.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=78

                  or the Yuricon Essays page "What is Yuri?" at
                  http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

                  Shounenai is used only in Japan for adult males who like boys. Yaoi is being
                  phased out in preference for "Boy's Love" in English.

                  Yuri is the preferred term for all representations of f/f affection at this
                  point.

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                    > No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan.
                    > http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

                    I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                    American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                    Disregard.

                    ^_^

                    Kisses XXOOXX
                    Jen

                    P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^
                  • digiultrarat
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                      > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something
                      that
                      > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                      > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
                      > that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
                      > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
                      > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
                      > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?
                      >
                      > Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
                      > watching it anyway heh.
                      >
                      > Ashley

                      Naruto is actually in the Toonami block, Not adult swim. Indicating
                      they do intend it to be aimed at Boys Tweens and not at the male 18-34
                      range that adult swim caters to.

                      Also They're just airing the Vision of Escaflowne movie. So no
                      danger of it being the edited Fox dub. But the movie has less of a
                      shoujo feel to it than the series does.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                        > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                        > Disregard.

                        LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
                        second-hand, I'd agree with you.

                        The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
                        when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
                        the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

                        > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

                        I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
                        with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
                        because I actually think to do research, but stil...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                          >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
                          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                          >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                          >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

                          Hi Marina -

                          Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
                          "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

                          Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

                          Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

                          You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
                          and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
                          the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
                          at this moment..)

                          (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)