New anime on Adult Swim

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
      So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
      resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
      Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
      that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
      Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
      hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
      are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?

      Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
      watching it anyway heh.

      Ashley
    • Resop
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
        --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:

        > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
        > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
        > Naruto at 9pm...

        I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in wondering
        if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?

        Craig
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
          > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
          > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
          > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
          > that that god-awful One Piece.

          <bursts into tears> One Piece isn't awful, waaaah!

          I'm sorry to say that the dub does not do the show justice. Most sadly, they
          have removed all the many fabulous opening and closing themes in favor of
          the usual repetitive rap that sounds like a commercial for an overactive
          bladder drug.

          And at 12pm they are gonna have
          > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
          > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
          > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?

          My guess? The old version. Only because I haven't heard of any new editions
          for it.

          All the Shonen Jump manga are god choices, because the audience is
          young, has losts of cartoon-watching time and is likely to by cards and video
          games. OP, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, etc.

        • Regina Buenaobra
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
            On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
            > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
            >
            > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
            > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
            > > Naruto at 9pm...
            >
            > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in wondering
            > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
            >
            > Craig

            I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
            episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
            billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
            the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?

            Regina
          • Ashley
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
              Regina Buenaobra wrote:

              > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
              > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast
              > something that
              > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
              > > > Naruto at 9pm...
              > >
              > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in
              > wondering
              > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
              > >
              > > Craig
              >
              > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
              > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
              > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
              > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
              >
              > Regina

              Inu Yasha is the same way, 5 or 6 seasons worth of anime, with bunches
              of filler eps, and about 4 movies.

              Ashley
            • Resop
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                --- Regina Buenaobra <sr388x@...> wrote:

                > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
                > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
                > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                > > > Naruto at 9pm...
                > >
                > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in
                > wondering
                > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
                > >
                > > Craig
                >
                > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
                > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
                > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
                > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
                >
                > Regina

                If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
                watching
                it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
                truckload of that in there. If your watching it for normal anime stuff, be
                warned
                that this show moves at the pace of Dragon Ball Z (fight scenes last five
                episodes and have six flashbacks) but the characters have a lot more depth.

                I've watched 40 episodes and I am looking forward to trying to see some
                more.

                Craig
              • M. Coleridge
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                  I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
                  coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
                  with.

                  Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                  recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
                  -Marina

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                    Shounen-ai is "boys-love," close platonic love between two young pretty
                    boys. Shounen-ai is (usually) written for women by women. Shounen-ai
                    doesn't have much to do with Yuri usually. However, there was a Shonen-ai
                    title recently that had a substantal yuri subplot (Loveless). A yuri title
                    that had a shonen-ai subplot was the Sailor Moon R Special.

                    Hope this helps!

                    Craig

                    PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
                    two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

                    --- "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...> wrote:

                    > I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
                    > coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
                    > with.
                    >
                    > Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                    > recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
                    > -Marina
                    >
                    > > If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
                    > > watching
                    > > it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
                    > > truckload of that in there.
                  • Katie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                      Honestly, skip the anime and go straight to the manga, it's much better.

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/cGIolB/TM

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      --
                      People with thick eyebrows need love too!
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                        >Craig
                        >
                        >PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
                        >two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

                        No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan. It does
                        NOT correspond to the now completely out of use term "shounenai."

                        Craig - Go check the glossary on the Onna! website again. You're outdated.
                        (And since I've already corrected you on this a couple of times, next time,
                        just send folks a link to that page:
                        http://www.onnafest.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=78

                        or the Yuricon Essays page "What is Yuri?" at
                        http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

                        Shounenai is used only in Japan for adult males who like boys. Yaoi is being
                        phased out in preference for "Boy's Love" in English.

                        Yuri is the preferred term for all representations of f/f affection at this
                        point.

                      • Jen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                          > No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan.
                          > http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

                          I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                          American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                          Disregard.

                          ^_^

                          Kisses XXOOXX
                          Jen

                          P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^
                        • digiultrarat
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                            > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something
                            that
                            > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                            > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
                            > that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
                            > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
                            > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
                            > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?
                            >
                            > Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
                            > watching it anyway heh.
                            >
                            > Ashley

                            Naruto is actually in the Toonami block, Not adult swim. Indicating
                            they do intend it to be aimed at Boys Tweens and not at the male 18-34
                            range that adult swim caters to.

                            Also They're just airing the Vision of Escaflowne movie. So no
                            danger of it being the edited Fox dub. But the movie has less of a
                            shoujo feel to it than the series does.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
                              wrote:

                              > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                              > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                              > Disregard.

                              LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
                              second-hand, I'd agree with you.

                              The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
                              when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
                              the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

                              > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

                              I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
                              with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
                              because I actually think to do research, but stil...

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                                >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
                                >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                                >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                                >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

                                Hi Marina -

                                Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
                                "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

                                Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

                                Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

                                You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
                                and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
                                the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
                                at this moment..)

                                (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)