Contact Info for Geneon and letter template for Marimite

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 26, 2005
      Okay folks - here is the contact info and a template letter. Please
      feel free to customize the letter and rewrite it, but above all,
      PLEASE be courteous and polite. We are asking for a favor - we do not
      have the right to demand anything.

      Do not rant, just ask. Thanks. Remember, you are also writing as a
      member of Yuricon.

      ****

      Mr. Rand Brenner
      Director of Licensing
      Geneon Entertainment
      22 65 E. 220th St.
      Long Beach, CA 90810-1639

      Dear Mr. Brenner,

      Hello, my name is_____, a member of Yuricon, and I am writing to you
      to request that you license "Maria-sama ga Miteru", a title that was
      produced by Geneon Japan, for release into the American DVD market.

      I am an adult, and I do spend my money on anime DVDs and related goods
      â€" a release of "Maria-sama ga Miteru" would be of great interest to me.

      "Maria-sama ga Miteru" has a rather large fan base already in the US
      and as a fan, I hope that you will not rename the series, translate or
      change the title in any way for an American release. Please let the
      honorifics stand in the translation as well - they allow us to make
      better sense of the many complex relationships in the series. The us
      of "Miss" simply will not be an adequate replacement for the many
      honorifics.

      Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

      Sincerely

      Your Name
    • Erin Subramanian
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 26, 2005
        atheniag wrote:

        >"Maria-sama ga Miteru" has a rather large fan base already in the US
        >and as a fan, I hope that you will not rename the series, translate or
        >change the title in any way for an American release. Please let the
        >honorifics stand in the translation as well - they allow us to make
        >better sense of the many complex relationships in the series. The us
        >of "Miss" simply will not be an adequate replacement for the many
        >honorifics.

        There's a typo in the last sentence-- "us" should be "use."
        Figured I should point that out before people started sending these in. :)

        Erin
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 26, 2005
          >From: Erin Subramanian <esubramanian1@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Contact Info for Geneon and letter template for
          >Marimite
          >Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:18:26 -0400
          >

          >There's a typo in the last sentence-- "us" should be "use."
          >Figured I should point that out before people started sending these in. :)

          Thanks for the catch, Erin.

          But people - write your own damn letter!!! This was just a template with the
          major concerns. Don't use the same words. Duh. lol

        • M. Coleridge
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 26, 2005
            Well you know the web has got us in the habit of just signing petitions and
            moving on!

            I do guarantee however, that while I'm very new to Yuri, I can craft a
            well-written letter supporting this request and will do so next week.
            -Marina

            >There's a typo in the last sentence-- "us" should be "use."
            >Figured I should point that out before people started sending these in. :)

            Thanks for the catch, Erin.

            But people - write your own damn letter!!! This was just a template with the
            major concerns. Don't use the same words. Duh. lol

          • Ashley
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
              So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
              resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
              Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
              that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
              Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
              hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
              are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?

              Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
              watching it anyway heh.

              Ashley
            • Resop
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2005
                --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:

                > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
                > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                > Naruto at 9pm...

                I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in wondering
                if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?

                Craig
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
                  > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
                  > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                  > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
                  > that that god-awful One Piece.

                  <bursts into tears> One Piece isn't awful, waaaah!

                  I'm sorry to say that the dub does not do the show justice. Most sadly, they
                  have removed all the many fabulous opening and closing themes in favor of
                  the usual repetitive rap that sounds like a commercial for an overactive
                  bladder drug.

                  And at 12pm they are gonna have
                  > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
                  > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
                  > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?

                  My guess? The old version. Only because I haven't heard of any new editions
                  for it.

                  All the Shonen Jump manga are god choices, because the audience is
                  young, has losts of cartoon-watching time and is likely to by cards and video
                  games. OP, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, etc.

                • Regina Buenaobra
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                    On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
                    > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
                    > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                    > > Naruto at 9pm...
                    >
                    > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in wondering
                    > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
                    >
                    > Craig

                    I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
                    episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
                    billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
                    the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?

                    Regina
                  • Ashley
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                      Regina Buenaobra wrote:

                      > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
                      > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast
                      > something that
                      > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                      > > > Naruto at 9pm...
                      > >
                      > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in
                      > wondering
                      > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
                      > >
                      > > Craig
                      >
                      > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
                      > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
                      > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
                      > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
                      >
                      > Regina

                      Inu Yasha is the same way, 5 or 6 seasons worth of anime, with bunches
                      of filler eps, and about 4 movies.

                      Ashley
                    • Resop
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                        --- Regina Buenaobra <sr388x@...> wrote:

                        > On 9/4/05, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
                        > > --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something that
                        > > > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                        > > > Naruto at 9pm...
                        > >
                        > > I have only watched the first 40 episodes on fan sub. Am I alone in
                        > wondering
                        > > if Sakura and Ino are destined to be very close?
                        > >
                        > > Craig
                        >
                        > I'm wondering if I should be watching Naruto at all. I saw the first
                        > episode (fansub), and I guess it was okay, but... There's like a
                        > billion more episodes after that. I heard it takes forever to get to
                        > the story, and that there's a lot of filler. Is it a waste of time?
                        >
                        > Regina

                        If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
                        watching
                        it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
                        truckload of that in there. If your watching it for normal anime stuff, be
                        warned
                        that this show moves at the pace of Dragon Ball Z (fight scenes last five
                        episodes and have six flashbacks) but the characters have a lot more depth.

                        I've watched 40 episodes and I am looking forward to trying to see some
                        more.

                        Craig
                      • M. Coleridge
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                          I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
                          coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
                          with.

                          Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                          recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
                          -Marina

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                            Shounen-ai is "boys-love," close platonic love between two young pretty
                            boys. Shounen-ai is (usually) written for women by women. Shounen-ai
                            doesn't have much to do with Yuri usually. However, there was a Shonen-ai
                            title recently that had a substantal yuri subplot (Loveless). A yuri title
                            that had a shonen-ai subplot was the Sailor Moon R Special.

                            Hope this helps!

                            Craig

                            PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
                            two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

                            --- "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...> wrote:

                            > I'm a recent fan of yuri (and manga and anime in general) Anyway, as I'm
                            > coming up to speed there are a lot of terms used here that I'm not familiar
                            > with.
                            >
                            > Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                            > recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks
                            > -Marina
                            >
                            > > If you're watching it for Yuri, it probably is a waste of time. if your
                            > > watching
                            > > it for implied shounen-ai, it's not a waste of time since they sneak a
                            > > truckload of that in there.
                          • Katie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 4, 2005
                              Honestly, skip the anime and go straight to the manga, it's much better.

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/cGIolB/TM

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              --
                              People with thick eyebrows need love too!
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                                >Craig
                                >
                                >PS corresponding to Shonen-ai would be Shoujo-ai, platonic love between
                                >two young girls. Card Captor Sakura and Brigadoon would be examples.

                                No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan. It does
                                NOT correspond to the now completely out of use term "shounenai."

                                Craig - Go check the glossary on the Onna! website again. You're outdated.
                                (And since I've already corrected you on this a couple of times, next time,
                                just send folks a link to that page:
                                http://www.onnafest.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=78

                                or the Yuricon Essays page "What is Yuri?" at
                                http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

                                Shounenai is used only in Japan for adult males who like boys. Yaoi is being
                                phased out in preference for "Boy's Love" in English.

                                Yuri is the preferred term for all representations of f/f affection at this
                                point.

                              • Jen
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                                  > No. Shoujoai is a word that was made up entirely by an American fan.
                                  > http://www.yuricon.org/essays/whatisyuri.html .

                                  I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                                  American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                                  Disregard.

                                  ^_^

                                  Kisses XXOOXX
                                  Jen

                                  P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^
                                • digiultrarat
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:

                                    > So... Adult Swim is finally getting a brain... or atleast something
                                    that
                                    > resembles a brain. hehe. Next saturday they are gonna start showing
                                    > Naruto at 9pm... never got into this series, but it has to be better
                                    > that that god-awful One Piece. And at 12pm they are gonna have
                                    > Escalfowne... and this one has me curious. Is this gonna be the same
                                    > hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as a kids anime? Or
                                    > are they gonna play the anime the way it was supposed to be?
                                    >
                                    > Right now Cowboy Bebop the movie is on. <3 I have it on dvd, but Im
                                    > watching it anyway heh.
                                    >
                                    > Ashley

                                    Naruto is actually in the Toonami block, Not adult swim. Indicating
                                    they do intend it to be aimed at Boys Tweens and not at the male 18-34
                                    range that adult swim caters to.

                                    Also They're just airing the Vision of Escaflowne movie. So no
                                    danger of it being the edited Fox dub. But the movie has less of a
                                    shoujo feel to it than the series does.
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > I'd read that "What Is Yuri" page, but since it originates from an
                                      > American author, I'm sure you'll agree that makes it irrelevant.
                                      > Disregard.

                                      LOL With the exception that its the product of five years of research, first- and
                                      second-hand, I'd agree with you.

                                      The Yuri entry in Wikipedia isn't bad, at the moment. There was a short period
                                      when someone who knew nothing started talking about Kanazuki no Miko as
                                      the quintessential yuri anime, but that's been corrected. ;-)

                                      > P.S Know any good 'esbi bars? (LOL) ^_^

                                      I still think that woman was rather sad. There are guides printed om and offine
                                      with locations and hours of lesbian bars in Tokyo. I kmpw I'm a freak.,
                                      because I actually think to do research, but stil...

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                                        >From: "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...>
                                        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                                        >Can you tell me what is shounen-ai? Also, if there is a good site you
                                        >recommend for learning the different terms, sub-genres, etc.? Thanks

                                        Hi Marina -

                                        Shounenai is an outdated term. It was, for a while, used to mean stories of
                                        "boys in love". Shounen=boy, ai=love.

                                        Now the preferred term is "Boy's Love" in English. :-)

                                        Yaoi was the common term for the genre in between the two.

                                        You can find a reasonably up to date glossry of common (and less so) anime
                                        and manga terms on the Onna! website: http://www.onnafest.com (I referenced
                                        the exact page in my snarky comment to Craig, but don't have time to find it
                                        at this moment..)

                                        (In a rush, or she'd be more helpful)