Ichigo Mashimaro yuri

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2005
      Okay, I give in.

      Volume 3 of the manga.

      It's not so much that there is yuri, its just that it skirts yuri in
      such a way that you know that the characters know that Nobue knows
      that Miu's obsession with her is just slightly more than a crush. And
      Miu knows that they all know, and she doesn't care - mostly because
      she's a right nutter.

      Nobue and Miu begin to argue over Matsuri (as usual, but this time
      it's about sleeping arrangments for a sleepover) and Miu huffs off.
      Nobue apologizes and says that she'll have to stay with Miu tonight.
      They lay in bed and argue *exactly* like a couple. Miu is the hurt
      girl, whose boyfriend has been caught flirting with another woman.
      Nobue plays her role to a 'T', saying, No, baby, you're the only one I
      love...

      It was a little freaky and damn funny.

      So I'm going to stop arguing with myself and just admit that its got
      yuri. There. Okay? Sheesh.

      LOL

    • Jen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
        > So I'm going to stop arguing with myself and just admit that its
        got yuri. There. Okay? Sheesh.

        > LOL

        Not to be a killjoy, but methinks our enjoyment of IM is rather bad on
        a political level.

        Far be it from me to deride IM for what it is, since the "kiddy krush
        on the babysitter/piano tutor, etc" is certainly a yuri story that is
        far from overdone, and makes a nice change by being cute AND due (not
        to mention something a few of us can relate to)... but I'm gonna have
        to deride IM for what it represents: the persistant loligasming of
        yuri to make it popular.

        Perhaps it's just the fact that I'm hopelessly addicted to the daytime
        soapy drama that is DYKES TO WATCH OUT FOR (available in paperback and
        webcomic) and it's plethora of 30/40-something cool dykes, but it's a
        stark contrast in character and timing when compared to the Yuri Of
        The Month that is Ichigo Mashimaro; a series of prepubes and the yuri
        found therein.

        It's a cliche that there just isn't enough yuri out there (... period)
        that features grown up consentors in favour of teenybopper
        schoolgirls, but it all comes down to what's popular and what's cool.
        Series like Marimite and Mai HiMe are turning yuri into more than
        just a fashionable genre (this year's fad), and giving yuri a chance
        at some well-deserved recognition. However, in order to achieve true
        popularity (and thus survive it's fad status), yuri neds to market
        itself to the greater anime-viewing public. That means men. That
        means young men. That means loli time.

        Heck, even ROD TV couldn't get by with just the Yokimo/Nenene thang,
        and had to prop up the Anita/Hisa-chan couplehood to give the series
        it's token loli (yes, I love these two gals too. I attack what I
        love). Now with all these yuri series out there featuring a glut of
        schoolgirls, we now have to watch yuri characters de-aged even
        further. Cue Ichigo Marshmellow.

        Yes, we love the antics and we raise eyebrows (and grin slyly) at
        Slam-Ko's behaviour with Nobue, and a possible "Best Friends" thing
        with Megane-Ko & Gaijin-Ko... but still, is THIS where we have to go
        for yuri these days? Prepubes? We've watched our yuri couples grow
        younger and younger, and now there honestly isn't anywhere else to go.
        Is this really happening because yuri is trying live beyond it's 15
        minutes of fame, and doing what it must to survive... or am I reading
        way WAY too much into all this?

        Aside from Devil Lady (which I haven't watched), I'm struggling to
        find anyone older than schoolgirls.

        On top, we have...

        Yomiko dragging Nenene, Nancy and Maggie in a big yuri sack,

        Then the teens...

        Kurumi & Saki
        Mirielle & Kirika
        The Battle Athletes
        Priss & her sassy sexaroid
        Haruka & Michiru
        Utena & Anthy
        The Marimite crew
        The HiME rangers
        The Angelic Layer gladiators
        Azumanga's Kaorin
        Pita-Ten's Misha & Shia

        Which brings us to Junior High...

        The Alien 9 gals
        Anita & Hisa
        Sakura & Tomoyo

        And now the latest from kindergarten...

        Strawberry Marshmellow!

        A disturbing trend, or much ado about nothing?

        (Goes back to rewatching IM. Heh-heh... Slam-Ko got slammed again. I
        love Miu so much!) ^_^

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:

          > Far be it from me to deride IM for what it is, since the "kiddy krush
          > on the babysitter/piano tutor, etc" is certainly a yuri story that is
          > far from overdone, and makes a nice change by being cute AND due (not
          > to mention something a few of us can relate to)... but I'm gonna have
          > to deride IM for what it represents: the persistant loligasming of
          > yuri to make it popular.

          I dodn't disagree, but let me remind you that Nocue is only 16 in the
          manga and Miu 12. I'm not saying that its a relationship - only that
          at 12 I had a crush on a 16-year old, as well.

          > Perhaps it's just the fact that I'm hopelessly addicted to the daytime
          > soapy drama that is DYKES TO WATCH OUT FOR (available in paperback and
          > webcomic) and it's plethora of 30/40-something cool dykes, but it's a
          > stark contrast in character and timing when compared to the Yuri Of
          > The Month that is Ichigo Mashimaro; a series of prepubes and the yuri
          > found therein.

          I'll admit that I find DTWOF one of the single most boring comics I
          have ever read of any kind. There's not a single character in the
          entire strip I'd want to have as a friend. :-)

          > It's a cliche that there just isn't enough yuri out there (... period)
          > that features grown up consentors in favour of teenybopper
          > schoolgirls, but it all comes down to what's popular and what's cool.

          And also you must factor in Japanese culture, which really stresses
          the ahigh school period ad really, honest-to-god, the best years of a
          person's life, to understand whhy SO much anime takes place with
          high-school age characters. Not just yuri, all anime and manga.

          > Is this really happening because yuri is trying live beyond it's 15
          > minutes of fame, and doing what it must to survive... or am I reading
          > way WAY too much into all this?

          A bit of both. But it's oaky. We all do it. :-)

          > Kurumi & Saki

          16

          > Mirielle & Kirika

          Kirika's 16

          > The Battle Athletes

          16-18

          > Priss & her sassy sexaroid

          Priss is 18

          > Haruka & Michiru

          16 when they show, 18 in Stars

          > Utena & Anthy

          16

          > The Marimite crew

          16-18

          > The HiME rangers
          16-18

          > The Angelic Layer gladiators

          12-18

          > Azumanga's Kaorin
          17

          > Pita-Ten's Misha & Shia

          I haven't a clue how old they are supposed to be

          > Which brings us to Junior High...
          >
          > The Alien 9 gals

          15

          > Anita & Hisa

          13

          > Sakura & Tomoyo

          11

          > And now the latest from kindergarten...
          >
          > Strawberry Marshmellow!

          12 and 16

          > A disturbing trend, or much ado about nothing?

          Much ado. If you put it in chronological order, it's just a mixture of
          11-18, which is when the bulk of all anime and manga occur, with the
          majority taking place between 14-17, which is the classic "springtime
          of youth."

          > (Goes back to rewatching IM. Heh-heh... Slam-Ko got slammed again. I
          > love Miu so much!) ^_^

          She really is a scream.

        • rosepress@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
            In a message dated 8/24/2005 7:29:43 AM Central Standard Time, anilesbocon01@... writes:
            I'll admit that I find DTWOF one of the single most boring comics I
            have ever read of any kind. There's not a single character in the
            entire strip I'd want to have as a friend. :-)

            I find the characters too angry for my taste. Try Joan Hilty's "Bittergirl" - the word may be "bitter", but the taste is tart.

            Ellen Rose
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, rosepress@a... wrote:

              > I'll admit that I find DTWOF one of the single most boring comics I
              > have ever read of any kind. There's not a single character in the
              > entire strip I'd want to have as a friend. :-)
              >

              > I find the characters too angry for my taste. Try Joan Hilty's
              "Bittergirl"
              > - the word may be "bitter", but the taste is tart.

              I don't mind angry. Duh, lol

              I do mind that no one ever seems to try and do anything about
              anything. I realize that its damn realistic, but I don't much like
              people who sit aropund and complain but never actually try and change
              anything in their lives in real life, either. :-)

            • Jen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2005
                I'm also a BITTER GIRL fan, but when I emailed the author, I found out
                there's no paperback version... yet. The Mailing List will tell me
                when something's about to break. ^_^

                As for DTWOF, I agree that the cast do spend quite a lot of time
                preaching with a hint of token activism, but I find I enjoy it for
                three reasons:

                1. It's a nice change from anime schoolies.

                2. I'm completely addicted to the drama. I hearken back to my days
                on unemployment, and my addiction to a certain daytime soapy. Yes, I
                knew it was shallow glossy hammy claptrap, but I just *HAD* to know
                what happenned next.

                3. Bemoaning societal lesbian identity without actually doing
                anything about it fits my current hobby mindset right now. I feel
                quite content whining about the state of anime yuri, all the while
                doing nothing on my part to aid in anything. Posting thoughts on
                someone else's Mailing List coupled with the odd donation here n'
                there is just about right for me right now. ^_^

                Kisses XXOOXX
                Jen
              • Jen
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005

                  > So I'm going to stop arguing with myself and just admit that its
                  got yuri. There. Okay? Sheesh.

                  > LOL

                  I've just finished Volume #1, and am not entirely unscathed. I admit
                  I was rather apprehensive, because I didn't want to spoil the anime
                  for myself, but having found the manga varies significantly, I may
                  proceed with gusto. ^_^

                  Talk about being thrown into the deep end! It's mentioned how the
                  first few stories were written years before the rest, but seeing Nobue
                  & Slam-Ko with each other's hair... yikes!

                  It certainly explained Nobue's Drivers Licence in the anime, but I
                  gotta say: May I assume it all came about with Slam-Ko getting her
                  hair done like Nobue's (pigtails notwithstanding) due to the kiddy
                  krush, and Nobue changed hers to Slam-Ko's short black just to screw
                  with Slam-Ko's head? If so, that's just so cute. ^_^

                  http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/ichigo-1-054.jpg

                  NOBUE: "Miu is... dead..."

                  MIU: *achoo~!*

                  I swear that was the most hilarious issue yet. ^_^

                  And hey, was it awkward for anyone else when they read the 'How IM got
                  started' bit, and how it began with "Barasui, this magazine has a
                  LOLICON ILLUSTRATION CORNER, you wanna submit something?"

                  BARASUI: "My time has come!"

                  I'm sorry, that's just... well, it's a mood-killing epilogue, that's
                  all I can say. -_-

                  Kisses XXOOXX
                  Jen