Re: [Yuricon] Re: Mai Otome manga chapter one is out.. [ rants / spoiler ]

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      atheniag wrote:

      > > Welcome to the Tate Must Die Club. You are Member #3245345. hehe I
      > > think its pretty standard to dislike the manga if you
      >
      > have a braincell? ;-)

      lol I like that better than my wise-crack. :P

      Ashley
    • James
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
        > > mellowrg wrote:

        > Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
        > individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be
        in
        > terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
        > cultural worldview.
        >
        > > > To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of
        > awesome
        > > > and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story
        > aside
        > > > from being a side character.
        >
        > Or being the target audience?

        The problem with many male mangeka artists is that if they're not
        exploring their own harem dreams and decide to try a more femminized
        story where the main character is female, it gets conflicted with
        their interest that They are not in power.
        The empowement must always go to themselves (The artist and the
        target audiences) so they make all sorts of leeaways to ultimately
        have things in terms of their way.

        sorry for another rant =/. Anyway, it was already established that
        the guy drawing and the guy writing MaiHime manga is a loser. Its
        not like he's gonna change his loser ways by MaiOtome, lol.

        I'll impatiently wait for the anime, its like the only thing to look
        forward to. (and Gokujou)
      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
          > > mellowrg wrote:
          > >

          > > > I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female
          > power.
          >
          > Not to me. To me its exactly the opposite - about how very much the
          > girls have no power they can call their own.
          >
          > They spend the entire anime being manipulated by and defining
          > themselves around the three guys in the whole series.
          >
          > Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
          > individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be in
          > terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
          > cultural worldview.

          Let me repharse it into terms that you may understand better.

          I don't like harem stories.

          Mai Hime manga = harem
          Mai Hime anime = not harem
          Mai Otome manga = developing into a harem

          :)