Re: Mai Otome manga chapter one is out.. [ rants / spoiler ]

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
      > mellowrg wrote:
      >

      > > I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female
      power.

      Not to me. To me its exactly the opposite - about how very much the
      girls have no power they can call their own.

      They spend the entire anime being manipulated by and defining
      themselves around the three guys in the whole series.

      Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
      individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be in
      terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
      cultural worldview.

      > > To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of
      awesome
      > > and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story
      aside
      > > from being a side character.

      Or being the target audience?

      > Welcome to the Tate Must Die Club. You are Member #3245345. hehe I
      > think its pretty standard to dislike the manga if you

      have a braincell? ;-)

    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        atheniag wrote:

        > > Welcome to the Tate Must Die Club. You are Member #3245345. hehe I
        > > think its pretty standard to dislike the manga if you
        >
        > have a braincell? ;-)

        lol I like that better than my wise-crack. :P

        Ashley
      • James
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
          > > mellowrg wrote:

          > Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
          > individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be
          in
          > terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
          > cultural worldview.
          >
          > > > To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of
          > awesome
          > > > and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story
          > aside
          > > > from being a side character.
          >
          > Or being the target audience?

          The problem with many male mangeka artists is that if they're not
          exploring their own harem dreams and decide to try a more femminized
          story where the main character is female, it gets conflicted with
          their interest that They are not in power.
          The empowement must always go to themselves (The artist and the
          target audiences) so they make all sorts of leeaways to ultimately
          have things in terms of their way.

          sorry for another rant =/. Anyway, it was already established that
          the guy drawing and the guy writing MaiHime manga is a loser. Its
          not like he's gonna change his loser ways by MaiOtome, lol.

          I'll impatiently wait for the anime, its like the only thing to look
          forward to. (and Gokujou)
        • mellowrg
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
            > > mellowrg wrote:
            > >

            > > > I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female
            > power.
            >
            > Not to me. To me its exactly the opposite - about how very much the
            > girls have no power they can call their own.
            >
            > They spend the entire anime being manipulated by and defining
            > themselves around the three guys in the whole series.
            >
            > Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
            > individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be in
            > terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
            > cultural worldview.

            Let me repharse it into terms that you may understand better.

            I don't like harem stories.

            Mai Hime manga = harem
            Mai Hime anime = not harem
            Mai Otome manga = developing into a harem

            :)