Mai Otome manga chapter one is out.. [ rants / spoiler ]

  • mellowrg
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female power.
      So naturally, I was pissed when they shifted the main character role
      to a dude in the manga, dumbed down everyone else, and made Mai and
      Natsuki squabble after him. If wanted something similar to this, I
      would have played Sakura Taisen instead, who does this much better.

      Sadly to me, the Mai otome manga seems to be taking after the Mai Hime
      manga, only with a crossdresser this time.

      Read: boy (girl) meets girl, girl gets into trouble, boy(girl)
      connects with girl, ze POWER UP!!, rival girl goes.. zOMG I must have
      ze POWER TOO!! Wacky foundation for a triangle is established..

      To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of awesome
      and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story aside
      from being a side character. Maybe I'll grow to like it after several
      chapters, but I doubt it. I will still look forward to the anime,
      though. I mean, it really follows the steps of the Mai Hime manga that
      means I will totally love the anime counterpart. XD
    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        mellowrg wrote:

        > I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female power.
        > So naturally, I was pissed when they shifted the main character role
        > to a dude in the manga, dumbed down everyone else, and made Mai and
        > Natsuki squabble after him. If wanted something similar to this, I
        > would have played Sakura Taisen instead, who does this much better.
        >
        > Sadly to me, the Mai otome manga seems to be taking after the Mai Hime
        > manga, only with a crossdresser this time.
        >
        > Read: boy (girl) meets girl, girl gets into trouble, boy(girl)
        > connects with girl, ze POWER UP!!, rival girl goes.. zOMG I must have
        > ze POWER TOO!! Wacky foundation for a triangle is established..
        >
        > To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of awesome
        > and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story aside
        > from being a side character. Maybe I'll grow to like it after several
        > chapters, but I doubt it. I will still look forward to the anime,
        > though. I mean, it really follows the steps of the Mai Hime manga that
        > means I will totally love the anime counterpart. XD

        Welcome to the Tate Must Die Club. You are Member #3245345. hehe I
        think its pretty standard to dislike the manga if you like the anime
        because of the girl-power theme in the anime... the manga seems to me to
        be more about the macho-guy saving the girl crap. That and EVERY girl in
        the school is a Hime instead of just a few.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
          > mellowrg wrote:
          >

          > > I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female
          power.

          Not to me. To me its exactly the opposite - about how very much the
          girls have no power they can call their own.

          They spend the entire anime being manipulated by and defining
          themselves around the three guys in the whole series.

          Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
          individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be in
          terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
          cultural worldview.

          > > To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of
          awesome
          > > and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story
          aside
          > > from being a side character.

          Or being the target audience?

          > Welcome to the Tate Must Die Club. You are Member #3245345. hehe I
          > think its pretty standard to dislike the manga if you

          have a braincell? ;-)

        • Ashley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
            atheniag wrote:

            > > Welcome to the Tate Must Die Club. You are Member #3245345. hehe I
            > > think its pretty standard to dislike the manga if you
            >
            > have a braincell? ;-)

            lol I like that better than my wise-crack. :P

            Ashley
          • James
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
              > > mellowrg wrote:

              > Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
              > individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be
              in
              > terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
              > cultural worldview.
              >
              > > > To me these series should be about girls being all kinds of
              > awesome
              > > > and mean towards each other. Men have no business in this story
              > aside
              > > > from being a side character.
              >
              > Or being the target audience?

              The problem with many male mangeka artists is that if they're not
              exploring their own harem dreams and decide to try a more femminized
              story where the main character is female, it gets conflicted with
              their interest that They are not in power.
              The empowement must always go to themselves (The artist and the
              target audiences) so they make all sorts of leeaways to ultimately
              have things in terms of their way.

              sorry for another rant =/. Anyway, it was already established that
              the guy drawing and the guy writing MaiHime manga is a loser. Its
              not like he's gonna change his loser ways by MaiOtome, lol.

              I'll impatiently wait for the anime, its like the only thing to look
              forward to. (and Gokujou)
            • mellowrg
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
                > > mellowrg wrote:
                > >

                > > > I don't know about you guys, but to me Mai Hime is about female
                > power.
                >
                > Not to me. To me its exactly the opposite - about how very much the
                > girls have no power they can call their own.
                >
                > They spend the entire anime being manipulated by and defining
                > themselves around the three guys in the whole series.
                >
                > Call me cynical, but there are very few anime that are about
                > individual empowerment. If there's empowerment at all, it must be in
                > terms of the group, because that is a keystone in the Japanese
                > cultural worldview.

                Let me repharse it into terms that you may understand better.

                I don't like harem stories.

                Mai Hime manga = harem
                Mai Hime anime = not harem
                Mai Otome manga = developing into a harem

                :)