More Dengeki stuff

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
      I completely forgot to mention "Eternal Alice" the new Kaishaku series
      running in Dengeki Daioh. Kaishaku, you may remember, drew Kannazuki
      no Miko and Steel Angel Kurumi.

      So it will come as no surprise to find that there is yuri in Eternal
      Alice, as well. I have no read about 4 or 5 chapters of this series
      and have absolutely *no* clue what is going on. :-)

      It appears to be about a bunch of girls drawn into a alternate world
      space - the bulk of the story seems to be taking place in a library.
      And there's an elfen, pointy-eared type older girl who had sex with
      one of the female characters last month and was deep kissing another
      this month.

      As soon as I get the inkling of a clue what's going on, I'll share. If
      anyone else knows what the plot is, let me know! I can't make head or
      tails of it... lol

      Also, starting this week is the anime for "Kamichuu" another Dengeki
      series. No real yuri - although I'm sure pletny of folks already are
      making up fanon between Matsuri and Yurie - but the story is really
      cute and funny. Yurie wants to become a god...and does.

      There's only two issues of the manga so far and both had me grinning.
      The art on the anime stinks, though - like a cheap version of
      Miyazaki. I don't like it at all. Nonetheless, the story is really
      adorable, so if you want a change of pace, Kamichuu might be a good
      choice. :-)

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005

        > There's only two issues of the manga so far and both had me
        grinning.

        > Nonetheless, the story is really
        > adorable, so if you want a change of pace, Kamichuu might be a good
        > choice. :-)

        I take that back. Don't watch this anime. Its AWFUL. I don't know how
        they managed to do it, but the managed to suck every single iota of
        funny and happy right out of it.They changed just two things from the
        manga, but those two changes have radically altered the entire feel of
        the story and turned what was a delightful story into a Miyakzaki-
        ripoff boring magical girl thing.

        The first change is the one that sets the tone for the entire series -
        in the anime Yurie is a sort of energy-less, melancholic girl, instead
        of the cheefrul, fun kid in the manga.

        The second change was insane. In the manga, when Yurie saves the boy
        she likes, she changes into a more mature version of herself in a
        miko's outfit. Her hair gets longer, her face older, her body matures,
        etc. She and Inomiya float down back towards earth and when they hit
        the school pool, he's unconscious. When he comes to, there's Yurie,
        looking the way she normally does in regular clothes. He asks her,
        "who are you" and she gets a little bummed because he doesn't
        recognize her, but understands why.

        In the anime, he is conscious the ENTIRE time even as they land in the
        pool. Yurie's body does not change, she doesn't age, just her hair
        gets longer and she stays in her school uniform. After they land in
        the pool, he looks at Yurie, whose hair is normal again, looks around
        for the "other girl" and says, "who are you."

        It's a little change, but it really killed him as a character. Buddy,
        you landed in a pool with a girl and you're now standing in a pool
        with a girl who looks *exactly the same* but with shorter hair and you
        can't figure out that this is the girl who rescued you?

        I was spitting nails for a few after the episode was over. On the
        whole, I'd say avoid the anime and wait for scanlations of the manga -
        because its SO much more fun. Hell, just page through the pictures in
        Dengeki, it's still good for a giggle.

        Bleah.