Emma Manga

  • redadmiral66
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27, 2005
      I'm guessing quite a few people here are already watching 'Emma', a
      currently-airing anime about a love affair between the young
      aristocrat William and Emma, a maid, in Victorian England, and their
      struggle against class prejudice. For those who aren't: you should
      be. Whilst it doesn't have any yuri, it makes up for it by being a
      well-developed, emotionally warm, historically accurate, and just
      generally good series. It doesn't induce a feeling of nausea in
      anyone I've shown it to, which is pretty damn rare for a show that
      features maids.

      Now on to the point: the group that's fansubbing the anime have also
      been translating the original manga, and yesterday I finally got
      around to reading it. It's most likely the result of hanging around
      the community so long that I've forgotten to take off my yuri
      goggles, but I can't help feeling that there are *hints* of yuri
      amongst various members of the supporting cast.

      Firstly, we have Grace, William's oldest sister. She has a mini-
      harem of three slightly younger women who follow her around at
      social gatherings and are jealously possessive of her; in one
      chapter, the three of them discuss potential marriage partners, and
      conclude by deciding that the best option is to have Grace become a
      man so one of them can marry her. She also turns down a potential
      suitor by saying that she's 'already taken', but as of the end of
      volume 3, there's been no sign or further mention of who by, which
      is odd, given the large cast. Furthermore, she's the only person in
      William's family who seems to approve of the idea of him being with
      Emma - an unusual degree of sympathy towards societally
      unconventional relationships for someone of her position.

      Secondly, we have Adele, the head maid at another mansion (how and
      why this comes into the plot is spoilerish, so I won't say) and her
      room-mate Maria. I'm basing this almost entirely off a single page
      (Volume3, p.99; I can have a go at uploading it if anyone's
      interested), but they seem to have a ... vibe going on. I can't
      quite explain it; there's just something in the dialogue and facial
      expressions. And the fact that this is just about the only page
      she's in that Adele isn't being an uber-competent, ice-cold, German
      supermaid. Again, it's nothing very conclusive, but it makes me
      wonder nevertheless.

      Anyway, I might just be imagining all this, and in any case there's
      certainly nothing overt, but I thought I might as well give everyone
      a heads up, to see what you all make of it.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 27, 2005
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "redadmiral66" <redadmiralgorshkov@h..
        .> wrote:
        > I'm guessing quite a few people here are already watching 'Emma',

        <raises hand>

        > Now on to the point: the group that's fansubbing the anime have also
        > been translating the original manga, and yesterday I finally got
        > around to reading it. It's most likely the result of hanging around
        > the community so long that I've forgotten to take off my yuri
        > goggles, but I can't help feeling that there are *hints* of yuri
        > amongst various members of the supporting cast.

        I've heard the same from elsewhere, but just haven't found the time to
        get my goggles on and look. LOL

        > Firstly, we have Grace, William's oldest sister. She has a mini-
        > harem of three slightly younger women who follow her around at
        > social gatherings and are jealously possessive of her; in one
        > chapter, the three of them discuss potential marriage partners, and
        > conclude by deciding that the best option is to have Grace become a
        > man so one of them can marry her.

        Woot. lol

        She also turns down a potential
        > suitor by saying that she's 'already taken', but as of the end of
        > volume 3, there's been no sign or further mention of who by, which
        > is odd, given the large cast. Furthermore, she's the only person in
        > William's family who seems to approve of the idea of him being with
        > Emma - an unusual degree of sympathy towards societally
        > unconventional relationships for someone of her position.

        You know, this would be worth reading, even if we have to turn those
        goggles up pretty high. :-)

        > Secondly, we have Adele, the head maid at another mansion (how and
        > why this comes into the plot is spoilerish, so I won't say) and her
        > room-mate Maria. I'm basing this almost entirely off a single page
        > (Volume3, p.99; I can have a go at uploading it if anyone's
        > interested), but they seem to have a ... vibe going on. I can't
        > quite explain it; there's just something in the dialogue and facial
        > expressions. And the fact that this is just about the only page
        > she's in that Adele isn't being an uber-competent, ice-cold, German
        > supermaid. Again, it's nothing very conclusive, but it makes me
        > wonder nevertheless.

        I think we all know that vibe. lol

        > Anyway, I might just be imagining all this, and in any case there's
        > certainly nothing overt, but I thought I might as well give everyone
        > a heads up, to see what you all make of it.

        I will definitely make time to read those scanlations that are sitting
        on my HD - I know I appreciate that heads up. :-)

      • Royi Eltink
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
          redadmiral66 wrote:
          > I'm guessing quite a few people here are already watching 'Emma', a

          I watch/read it since the very beginning.. It would be a shame for me as
          an amateur-historician, to not read it ;).

          > Now on to the point: the group that's fansubbing the anime have also
          > been translating the original manga, and yesterday I finally got
          > around to reading it. It's most likely the result of hanging around
          > the community so long that I've forgotten to take off my yuri
          > goggles, but I can't help feeling that there are *hints* of yuri
          > amongst various members of the supporting cast.

          Yeah, actually I was suspecting something of the older sister of
          Eleanor, who was not only overprotective towards her little sister but
          also very possesive (see the side-page where she insists that Eleanor
          would be sleeping in her bed, despite the fact that both her and Eleanor
          are already past that age).

          And, call it a hunch, but I'm also suspecting some and the other from
          the author herself. Who appears to be obsessed with maids (especially
          with glasses) and bunnygirls and the likes.

          - Uncle Ro'

          NB: Cute marimite baner at the top of the IIchan translation group (the
          group doing Emma) website, btw.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
            .> wrote:

            > Secondly, we have Adele, the head maid at another mansion (how and
            > why this comes into the plot is spoilerish, so I won't say) and her
            > room-mate Maria. I'm basing this almost entirely off a single page
            > (Volume3, p.99; I can have a go at uploading it if anyone's
            > interested), but they seem to have a ... vibe going on. I can't
            > quite explain it; there's just something in the dialogue and facial
            > expressions. And the fact that this is just about the only page
            > she's in that Adele isn't being an uber-competent, ice-cold, German
            > supermaid. Again, it's nothing very conclusive, but it makes me
            > wonder nevertheless.

            I'm 100% with you on this. In one page, I'm convinced that Maria, at
            least, is all about Adele. Perhpas it was the insouciance of her half-
            dressed porition, or the bedroom eyes, I'm not sure - all I know is I
            thought, "Yup." LOL

            It's an utterly soapy manga, but so sweet. And the author's afterwords
            are a laff riot, really.

          • redadmiral66
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
              wrote:

              > I'm 100% with you on this. In one page, I'm convinced that Maria,
              at
              > least, is all about Adele. Perhpas it was the insouciance of her
              half-
              > dressed porition, or the bedroom eyes, I'm not sure - all I know
              is
              > thought, "Yup." LOL
              >
              > It's an utterly soapy manga, but so sweet. And the author's
              afterwords
              > are a laff riot, really.

              Yay, confirmation! And from the mistress herself, no less! Nice to
              know I'm not being delusional. Or at least, I'm not alone in being
              delusional.

              On a side note, someone on one of the image boards I visit posted
              scanslations of the character profiles from the 'He Is My Master'
              manga. Anna's stated ambition was 'Elope with Izumi and move to
              Holland'. I came pretty close to falling off my chair when I took
              that in. Goddamnit, why can't they put the overt characters in
              *good* series?
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
                >From: "redadmiral66" <redadmiralgorshkov@...>
                >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                >Yay, confirmation! And from the mistress herself, no less! Nice to
                >know I'm not being delusional. Or at least, I'm not alone in being
                >delusional.

                LOL that latter, I think. We can be delusional together.

                >On a side note, someone on one of the image boards I visit posted
                >scanslations of the character profiles from the 'He Is My Master'
                >manga. Anna's stated ambition was 'Elope with Izumi and move to
                >Holland'. I came pretty close to falling off my chair when I took
                >that in. Goddamnit, why can't they put the overt characters in
                >*good* series?

                Yeah, a lot of us wonder that, I bet. ;-)

              • shirobara12
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Royi Eltink <royi@e...> wrote:

                  > Yeah, actually I was suspecting something of the older sister of
                  > Eleanor, who was not only overprotective towards her little sister
                  > but also very possesive (see the side-page where she insists that
                  > Eleanor would be sleeping in her bed, despite the fact that both
                  > her and Eleanor are already past that age).

                  Hehe, I'll just tell you, people have been writing about this
                  in the Yuri ML for months. Emma's such a great manga! ^^

                  > And, call it a hunch, but I'm also suspecting some and the other
                  > from the author herself. Who appears to be obsessed with maids
                  > (especially with glasses) and bunnygirls and the likes.

                  ^_____^

                  Anyone who wants to see what he's talking about, take a look here:

                  http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/yuri/Public/Emma4-afterword/emma4aw1.jpg
                  http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/yuri/Public/Emma4-afterword/emma4aw2.jpg
                  http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/yuri/Public/Emma4-afterword/emma4aw3.jpg

                  (you'll need to register with Smartgroups, though)

                  White Rose
                • Royi Eltink
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                    redadmiral66 wrote:
                    > On a side note, someone on one of the image boards I visit posted
                    > scanslations of the character profiles from the 'He Is My Master'
                    > manga. Anna's stated ambition was 'Elope with Izumi and move to
                    > Holland'. I came pretty close to falling off my chair when I took
                    > that in. Goddamnit, why can't they put the overt characters in
                    > *good* series?

                    And on a second note, see the Yuri Shimai reference in the manga:
                    http://members.lycos.nl/vanspeyck/blah/Master_v3_ch10_059.jpg

                    - Uncle Ro'
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "shirobara12" <shirobara12@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Royi Eltink <royi@e...> wrote:

                      > Hehe, I'll just tell you, people have been writing about this
                      > in the Yuri ML for months. Emma's such a great manga! ^^

                      The Yuri ML is an excellent resource for scanlation news, since I
                      definitely focus more on stuff printed in Japanese than stuff for
                      download. :-)

                    • Ashley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                        redadmiral66 wrote:

                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > ...dressed porition, or the bedroom eyes, I'm not sure - all I know
                        > is...

                        Dont know how I managed this, but I read that as "bathroom eyes", and I
                        was like: What are bathroom eyes? Until I read it again. lol

                        --Ashley