Re: [Yuricon] Let us bow our heads in sorrow.

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2005
      On Jun 22, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Carmen DiProspero wrote:

      Seems that the only chance of seeing uncut Sailor Moon
      (whether R, S, or the Chibi-Usa saturated Super S), if
      they are still in stock, the ones released by
      Geneon/Pioneer.

      And does that mean that the chances of North American
      distribution rights to Sailor Stars (still avails as
      fansubs) and the live-action Pretty Solider Sailor
      Moon  (is it still avails on bit-torrent) are pretty
      much slim and none?

      Some feel that Sailor Moon is "too old", but I'm sure
      there are still those who still enjoy the series, and
      some enjoy cosplaying as Sailor Moon chars.

      Well, I think in the short run, we won't see anyone pick up the license again, the cost and terms of the license are probably too high now. (I've heard that its a package deal, anime, manga, live action.) And given the spotted history of the original dubs and the original translations, any company that picks it up, will probably have to start from scratch. So you're looking at a very expensive initial investment, and most likely a very low ROI, for what is probably now a niche series, given it's age and time out of the public eye.

      But, given projects like G-Force/Battle of the Planets and Gatchaman, I imagine that in 7-10 years someone might pick up the license again, provided it's cheaper or they can go a la carte, as it were. This really all depends on what other projects spring forth from this franchise, as new projects will probably make it less likely that terms of the license will come down.

      We'll see, I guess.